ground loop?

Discussion in 'General Audio Discussion' started by VQLT, Jul 30, 2003.

1. Harryconover

Harryconover Well-Known Member

Thus is life , life is weird !

2. ARIZONA RAT

ARIZONA RAT New Member

been doing this for 15 YEARS never shocked,, no fires,,,, guess what fool im still alive... snowflakes worry too much.... LOL !!

3. I LIKE MUSIC

I LIKE MUSIC Super Member

Yes, just like the drunk driver that has never had an accident, that of course makes drunk driving okay for everyone.

You need understand basic logic.

Okay. If what you are recommending is the thing to do, please explain the purpose of the ground side of the AC mains. Why have it in the first place? Why have GFCI outlets and breakers? Why did residential AC mains wiring go from non grounded wiring to grounded wiring?

What happens if a device has an internal fault that places dangerous voltage on exposed metal parts, microwave, refrigerator, clothes washer, window AC and so on?

Are you saying that the above has never, ever happened?

Again, just because you have done it does not mean that is it the right thing to do, or that someone else will have the same results.

BTW, the National Electrical Code (NEC) requires that all exposed metal on equipment and appliances be connected to an equipment grounding conductor.

An insurance company may take a dim view of your recommendation in the event of an issue (electrical shock, fire and so on).

For those that are interested in electrical safety, and it appears that some are not here is a link with a very simple explanation and even some simple diagrams.

Link to why grounding for safety is important. Look at the second diagram. Without proper grounding, electricity through your body, electrical shock and possibly death. It is just this simple.

Of course some without a basic understanding of electrical safety will say that the information referenced in the above link is incorrect and should be disregarded and suggest that it is okay to remove the ground connections from every electrical device in the home.

Of course, one can be like the drunk driver that has not had an accident in 15 years and tells everyone that drinking and driving is okay because he has never had an accident. Never mind reality.

BTW, my verbal skills preclude the necessity of name calling to make a point.

woodj likes this.
  4. Harryconover

Having no ac ground is as safe as playing Rushen roulette ,both are are safe , till your dead !

I LIKE MUSIC likes this.
  5. I LIKE MUSIC

I LIKE MUSIC Super Member

More name calling to make a point.

And we lived without stringent laws regarding drunk driving, your logic does not hold water.

History is full of things that we did one way. Over time we found safer ways to do these things.

So are you telling all of us that the NEC is totally wrong with its requirement for safety grounding?

Back in the day, cars had mechanical brakes, then came hydraulic brakes, then came dual master cylinders for increased safety. By your logic if the brake line going to the front wheels is leaking or your car pulls to the left when using the brakes, you would recommend disconnecting the master cylinder for the front wheels instead of correcting the actual problem.

So what? We lived with single cylinder master cylinders for years. Dual master cylinders save lives.

The list of safety improvements over time is almost limitless. Using procedures from back in the day to make you point is faulty logic.

Again, answer my question, are you saying that no one has ever been shocked or electrocuted by a device without proper grounding? Are you saying that proper safety grounding has never prevented electrical shock or electrocution?

If so show me the numbers.

Correct grounding helps to prevent electrical shock and even death due to electrical shock.

DaveVoorhis likes this.
  6. Harryconover

7. Harryconover

Boy huh by most standards 65 is not concederded a boy you don't get this old doing stupid action ,so how old are you old man ?

8. aje123

aje123 Active Member

Well all is working,It is kind of weird,i hooked my laptop up instead of tuner and the preamp works 100% correct.Maybe this ground to the tuner has something to do with the preamp not working proper???? Just ground issues,i will just deal with it for now,i will figure out a ground sequence as i go. THANK YOU

9. Karl vd Berg

Karl vd Berg Super Member

Hi,

I see on ESP's site a ground loop circuit arranged with 4 rectifiers plus a 10 ohm/5W resistor and a 100nF cap in parallel;
    and a "loop breaker", arranged with 2 rectifiers plus a 10 ohm/5W resistor and a 100nF cap, all in parallel (I could also link the 2 pictures, but I'm not sure if that's allowed).

Does anyone know any difference the "loop breaker" has comparing the ground loop? Thanks.