Grover Cable - My first experience with great cables

RuSsMaN said:
What I'm saying guys, if someone has an extra set of ANYTHING they would like to donate (to be returned at a later date), email me, and I will get with you, to get them from you, and update the demo threads accordingly.

The more the merrier, as I said. ;)

Sounds Awesome!
But I am calling first dibs on anything by Grover! Especially his speaker wire. Would LOVE to hear that! :)

WhiteSE said:
I have tried his original ones, have a pair of the SRII's and a couple of pairs of the UR5's i think...I bought them all used...

Excellent cables, and the fact that no one mentioned yet, is that he uses old style vintage RCA ends, so they fit nicely with vintage gear, which have the RCA's at kissing distance of each other.

True enough. That is one of the cool things about it. At first I was a little taken aback by the fact that he uses very basic looking connectors, having got used to the big monsters by WPT and the like. But they do work, which is all that really matters to me. Oh, and they are directional too. He hand writes it on every pair! :)

Bigerik said:
Oh, and they are directional too. He hand writes it on every pair!

Actually they are NOT directional! I put those arrows on that pair myself.

(Apparently if you switch signal path directions you have to burn them in all over again).

:music:

GaryP said:
Actually they are NOT directional! I put those arrows on that pair myself.

(Apparently if you switch signal path directions you have to burn them in all over again).

:music:

Huh
Go figure. In the past I would have just said BS and dismissed it. But in the past, I would have said the cables would not make a difference either! :)
Maybe I should reverse them and see how they sound. Hmmmm.

Go ahead! It won't "ruin" the cables - they'd just "break in" again.

Or reverse one and see what happens. :)

I've never done it so I can't tell you if it works for me. And as all systems are different, there could be a difference at your place and not at mine, etc., etc. I put on the arrows "just because" I felt like it. After all, no harm is done to the IC's, right?

It's called uncharted territory. :D

Well to start off I'm a believer in ANYTHING that is in the signal path "can" "change"
things, not allways for the better but a change none the less.

Now I don't have the big money so I generally go DIY or whatever I find has the best
bang for the buck. And in my experience more changes happen in the low level signal
department, like Ic's, input tubes, vibration devices and so fourth. Now I generally feel
that power cords and speaker cables are very simular to one another in that a good
quality well made large gauge wire that is well insulated is all you need but I am open
minded and have tried several power cords and speaker cables but more to come. Yes
I've found silver speaker wire to make a change but in my systems it was not a positive (to bright).

Keep in mind, not all changes are good. If you use an IC and all of a sudden you get
more treble or bass or midrange but your system allready had the quantity in that area
that you wanted, having more may be to much. So like I say change isn't always good.

Recently I did an IC compairison with 3 different ones on a system that had been fairly
tweeked but not perfect (what is). The original IC used from a Anthem Pre-2L tube pre
to a GTA SE-40 (modded/rebuilt) 40wpc tube amp powering a pair of ADS L880 speakers
was an older monster see through with orange in the background litz unit.

The system sounded pretty good but the bass was a little much and slightly tubby.

Got a Nordost (solar wind) cable from Grumpy who got it from Ernie in place of the
monster, no other changes made. The bass became less but also much tighter with
a nice airy top that was now ever so slightly exaggerated but a very nice change
from the monster. Dug around to find my XLO green IC to try that, which gave me
some bass back but was still nice and tight and also brought the top end more into
balance but kept most of the airiness of the Nordost, overall the best cable on this
particular system for what I had on hand and what I was looking for.

The reason why I wanted to share this was to show that "change" is not allways a
good thing for any one system or persons musical choice.

If anyone feels the monster cable could be beneficial to the group I can send it along.

If this is inappropriate for here I appologize in advance.

Last edited:
GaryP said:
It's all about synergy and system matching..... :)

Agreed but I've heard people say "I got so much more top end and this is the best cable you can get"

So I was trying to get across what you said, it comes down to ones taste and accociated gear as to what is best or good for you.

Thanks for the reply!

Great post Kegger. Thanks for sharing it.
Just wondering what you considered to be inappropriate.
Thanks
Erik

Kegger said:
Well to start off I'm a believer in ANYTHING that is in the signal path "can" "change"
things, not allways for the better but a change none the less.

Now I don't have the big money so I generally go DIY or whatever I find has the best
bang for the buck. And in my experience more changes happen in the low level signal
department, like Ic's, input tubes, vibration devices and so fourth. Now I generally feel
that power cords and speaker cables are very simular to one another in that a good
quality well made large gauge wire that is well insulated is all you need but I am open
minded and have tried several power cords and speaker cables but more to come. Yes
I've found silver speaker wire to make a change but in my systems it was not a positive (to bright).

Keep in mind, not all changes are good. If you use an IC and all of a sudden you get
more treble or bass or midrange but your system allready had the quantity in that area
that you wanted, having more may be to much. So like I say change isn't always good.

Recently I did an IC compairison with 3 different ones on a system that had been fairly
tweeked but not perfect (what is). The original IC used from a Anthem Pre-2L tube pre
to a GTA SE-40 (modded/rebuilt) 40wpc tube amp powering a pair of ADS L880 speakers
was an older monster see through with orange in the background litz unit.

The system sounded pretty good but the bass was a little much and slightly tubby.

Got a Nordost (solar wind) cable from Grumpy who got it from Ernie in place of the
monster, no other changes made. The bass became less but also much tighter with
a nice airy top that was now ever so slightly exaggerated but a very nice change
from the monster. Dug around to find my XLO green IC to try that, which gave me
some bass back but was still nice and tight and also brought the top end more into
balance but kept most of the airiness of the Nordost, overall the best cable on this
particular system for what I had on hand and what I was looking for.

The reason why I wanted to share this was to show that "change" is not allways a
good thing for any one system or persons musical choice.

If anyone feels the monster cable could be beneficial to the group I can send it along.

If this is inappropriate for here I appologize in advance.

Thank you.

Just that I know it's a new forum and I didn't want to do anything that might be
inapropriate or put it in the wrong area. I guess I was just being to cautious.
(and my views on the power cord/speaker wire deal)

Kegger said:
Thank you.

Just that I know it's a new forum and I didn't want to do anything that might be
inapropriate or put it in the wrong area. I guess I was just being to cautious.
(and my views on the power cord/speaker wire deal)

Definately nothing wrong in stating what you have heard in the equipment you have tried. I want this forum to be very open for discussion. What I do not want to see is : "Your and idiot/deaf because cables/cords/wires don't make any difference. I've never tried them, but I know they can't make any difference." While I don't have an issue with anyone having that opinion, it just adds nothing to the discussion and just becomes personally insulting. As I said before, we are all here to learn and have some fun. Anything that adds to that goal is more than welcome.

Sounds good, look forward to some HEALTHY cable discussions and subjective
thoughts on there pros/cons!

More info is good info in my book!

Back
Top Bottom