Grover Huffman

lizard84

Abider
Anyone have any input on these speaker cables, interconnects and power cords? I've decided to make some major system changes, Modded speakers/Amp and cabling. John, the maker of Magnestand's has written me that these are the speaker cables, interconnects and power cords he recommends.

Thoughts?

Bob

I'm curious as well. When I made my last major change of cables my shortlist came down to Morrow, Grover H, and Clear Day. Having tried Morrow and liking them I just decided to try something different... But don't know what utimatly made me go with Clear Day. Maybe just talking to Paul on the phone. My main system is full Clear Day except for one phono interconnect.

I would consider Grover cables in the future and hopefully someone chimes in. I know people on some other forums like them a lot.

- Woody

I have Grover speaker cables. I am very pleased with them! I compared them to a friends older and much more expensive Van Den Hul cables once and the difference was very slight. It was so close that I didn't hear much of a difference. They're great!

I also have Grover interconnects.

Three things you should know.
Grover seems to always change his recipe to latest and greatest cables.
They are not industrial strength cables, welded together like Blue Jeans in a factory somewhere and you can drop your amp on them, twirl them around your head and play skipping rope with them. With Grover cables you can crush them by stepping on them (bad idea) or pull the ends out (another bad idea) if you're not careful. So pay attention when attaching them to the amp and speakers. I don't think "industrial strength cables" are necessarily related to "cables that make music sound great."
The cables are hand made, he does not cut off a length from a giant spool that's made somewhere offshore. Instead he strings various types of wire inside insulation, etc. So if he is busy, it'll take time for him to produce your order. Even if he's not busy it might take time for a longer length to be produced.

I think Grover is still a one man show.

In my opinion, ends (RCA male & female) are as important as the cable wire itself. Don't save a few bucks by going cheap!

Check out his website. The last time I looked, has guarantees, etc. but it's been a while since I was there.

I've had both his speaker cables and interconnects. You cannot go wrong with them. However I do suggest that if your amp/speakers can accept spades, to go that route. I had a few of the bananas lose tension pretty fast. He took care of the "issue" without question and I was back in business in no time. Great customer service.

Not much in the way of info on the bananas on the Grover site. The BFA bananas I have don't have tension. But the good, old, standard Pomonas work just fine and if they ever need a retension it is easy. Nothing like quality test gear connections that have been the standard for years and years. I'm sure teh BFA made from a proper spring metal would work well but I'm liking the Pomonas for my gear when I need a banana plug.

Thanks for the info guys, I've heard his preferred termination for his speaker cables is bare wire but he will add spades or bananas if thats what you need.

Can you PM me or post a link to the Pomonas???

http://www.pomonaelectronics.com/index.php?i=prodsub&parent=HWARE&cat=BANANAPLGJCK&getDetails=0

I have used the first item on some speakers that connect to the amplifier they sit on.
I usually use the dual banana plug like the yellow one on page 2 but I don't have any yellow ones. Red and Black mostly and I don't worry about using specific colors for whatever channel. They have about ten colors if you need that.

I bought some of the imported crap dual banana plugs and if a full size chunk of wire is inserted the threads of the retaining screw do not bite and it will not work. I had to grind off the tip of the screw. Pomonas are fully threaded.

I bought some of the imported crap dual banana plugs and if they are put into a jack that is tight the banana will peel, losing its skin, just junk, I say.

The Pomonas just work. If they need to be tightened, just use a jewelers screwdriver and pry out the four chunks of peel in the middle all the way around and go as new. If these, without some fancy gold plating are good enough for Tektronix, Hewlett Packard and other test equipment manufacturers, I'll let em handle a stereo signal.

This brand is available at a number of retailers like Mouser, oh wait, let me just say all the big electronics houses.

Now to be on topic, many think bare wire is the best and spades can be held in a 5-way binding post very well with a good tightening of the post. But I have numerous speakers that have banana jacks (DCM Time Windows), Magneplanar (with a side screw for using bare wire or tightening onto the banana plug) and a number with 5-way binding posts. Dual banana plugs allow easy speaker switching and there is no chance of the + and - sides touching each other.

Back
Top Bottom