Grundig Majestic vs Telefunken Bayreuth Studio 105

TreyMac78745

First off, I'm really new to the vintage audio underworld:) My little lady is love with vinyl and mid century modern furniture so I thought, "Why not get her the real thing?"

So, after several weeks of searching I've stumbled across 2 console units that are in good working order that are in excellent condition externally.

The Grundig is listed for $300. It was purchased in Germany and has been owned by the same family who initially bought it. The Telefunken is listed for $400 and pretty much has the same story. After talking to both sellers it seems that both units will come with the original paperwork.

Can anyone offer any sage advice about which direction I should go with either of these 2 units? From the pictures that I've seen they are both beautiful and in excellent condition. Are these prices in today's market excessive?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your time and efforts.

Trey Mc.
Austin, Texas

First off, I'm really new to the vintage audio underworld:) My little lady is love with vinyl and mid century modern furniture so I thought, "Why not get her the real thing?"

So, after several weeks of searching I've stumbled across 2 console units that are in good working order that are in excellent condition externally.

The Grundig is listed for $300. It was purchased in Germany and has been owned by the same family who initially bought it. The Telefunken is listed for $400 and pretty much has the same story. After talking to both sellers it seems that both units will come with the original paperwork.

Can anyone offer any sage advice about which direction I should go with either of these 2 units? From the pictures that I've seen they are both beautiful and in excellent condition. Are these prices in today's market excessive?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your time and efforts.

Trey Mc.
Austin, Texas

More info please.

Pictures?

There are many different Majestics.

I really like the Telefunken because of its separate speakers...

Do they both have tape recorders ?

Is this what the Tele looks like ? :
upload_2018-2-15_17-20-49.png

I have worked on both. I would check the FM dial amd make sure it goes from 88-108mHz. Those made for the domestic market might not.

A problem with some of the Grundig stereo-era units is that the selector keys had a lever/clutch that selected the correct dial cord, and only one tuning knob was needed. Not a bad idea except they made it out of pot metal and after 60 years they break. No radio, unless you are very clever and have a machine shop.

For that reason alone I’d lean towards the Tele. Both used very similar amplifiers and they both used record changers made by Telefunken.

As for price, they both seem high to me because they are going to need some service work - capacitors at the least. But I am pretty cheap!

Back
Top Bottom