Guess I Won't Be Shipping USPS Anytime Soon

savatage1973

Addicted Member
In light of the events of this week, the USPS is ramping up security and package handling/inspections at all sorting/distribution facilities--and rightfully so. This is obviously a more labor-intensive process, so I'd expect shipping times to increase. Again, this is not a bad thing--I'd rather get something a couple days late, than receive a bomb (even a fake one) in the mail.

This post is not politically directed/motivated in ANY WAY--mailing a bomb to ANYONE for whatever reason is WRONG, and a danger to EVERYONE.

I ship packages USPS almost daily, and see no delay in deliveries yet. Of course, having an ebay generated label may circumvent some scrutiny.

I ship via USPS daily and see no slow downs. Just same slow Media Mail from Portland/Seattle as always.

While all are concerned about the targets of these things, maybe say a prayer for the postal workers too ... looks like they caught another one yesterday ...

One such bomb came to my local post office. They brought it to the local airport (SFO) and detonated it. My thoughts are certainly about the risks to the postal workers. Who thought that being a postal worker would be a high risk job.

Here is a unrelated story. I work at a CA university that was a target of the Unibomber, many year ago. The campus police (at that time) assembled a cache of home-made booms - I assume for training purposes. Times change and the these booms (yes live booms) were stored in building which housed about 30 of my research employees. After about 30 years sitting undisturbed ... they were discovered by me. The bomb squad (yes the university has one) was called in.

That's what we call a failure of long-term stewardship! Similar to other stories of forgetting where various things went, or what things are that are found sitting somewhere: time capsules (lots of them!), valuable statues, rare documents, capped hazardous waste sites, you name it. In Springfield MO a few years back, it was suddenly rediscovered that an abstract sculpture placed in the central square decades earlier was originally intended by the artist to be turned over once in awhile to create different looks. It had not been moved in 30-40 years until someone dug up the old newspaper articles about it.

This keeps certain people awake at night whose job it is to figure out how to mark, say, a buried nuclear waste depository so that people centuries from now who don't speak any of our current languages will know not to dig there. :idea:

Sorry for the tangent.

Back
Top Bottom