Guess who just bought an MC500 . . .

Two guesses. First one doesn't count.

Thank you Andy at Audio Classics!!!

GOOD GRIEF MAN!!! Good on you!! :thmbsp:I believe the MC500 has the highest damping factor of any McIntosh amplifier if I recall correctly...

I was searching all Mc amp models for high damping factors a while ago when I wanted a Mc amp on my subs, and I thick the MC500 was the one.....
I would still consider one too......

The posting of recently acquired treasure without pics is a violation of AK rules in the McIntosh forum. :nono:

You have been worthlessed! :D

:worthless:

I don't have it yet! It will ship to me next week. Rest assured photos are forthcoming. At this point I'm not sure where it will end up in my systems but I plan to try it in both.

Votes?

I'll post a pic him!! Congrats damacman

693715-mcintosh_mc500.jpg

I just have one question for all you Macaholics...

What the hell do you need a 500 watt amp for? :scratch2:

I understand the Tim the Toolman Syndrome of more power. I don't think there is a speaker on the planet that can handle 500 watts. I mean, you have to be realistic on how you equip your audio system. Heaven forbid you power that sucker up, and then all the lights in the house go dim.

Damacman... I just hope you don't get a hernia lifting that bad boy. Better yet, stock up on pain pills and Ben Gay.

I do not mean to be blasphemous, so please forgive me. :D :thmbsp: :music:

I understand the Tim the Toolman Syndrome of more power. I don't think there is a speaker on the planet that can handle 500 watts. I mean, you have to be realistic on how you equip your audio system. Heaven forbid you power that sucker up, and then all the lights in the house go dim.

I do not mean to be blasphemous, so please forgive me. :D :thmbsp: :music:

If one 500 watt stereo amp puzzles you, imagine the two 600 watt amps I'm using now :p.

One answer... "Why?... Because."

Other answers. Some of us have notoriously hard to drive speaker loads (the 802 Diamonds I'm using now are a good example of this) that perform better with higher wattage amps, especially during transient attacks and really low continuous passages.

Other answers 2: Not always clear. "twiii" on here absolutely loves the sound of the MC1.2Kw better than other Mc SS amps even though it's not a necessary amount of power.

Pick your poison. I'm sure one of the more experienced members will chime in with something better.

It has been rumored that I'm somewhat fond of BIG McIntosh amps ...

Also I love the pic! You guys crack me up!

I don't have it yet!

That is no excuse! You have Andy email a couple "appetizer" shots and post those like Hi-Ho Sillver 79 did.

Jeez - do I have to think of everything? :D

Seriously though, congratulations on that. It is a beautiful thing.

BTW - What's the tally of watts up to in damacmanland these days?

Depending on the application, 500 wpc may still be not enough to resolve signal peaks without distorting and/or clipping.

Also keep in mind, many loudspeakers are capable of handling surprisingly large amounts of energy for the ~ 10 ms duration of musical peaks.

Rare is the instance where 500 wpc would be needed - and comparatively few speakers are capable of withstanding that amount of input - continuously.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom