Guess who just bought an MC500 . . .

Part of the human condition. Have you posted pic's of the new speakers somewhere?

damacman should send me that MC500. When I sold mine, it also went to AZ. But, that is now almost 20yr ago.

Not yet but will be taking photos tonight and start getting a listen in my system. I'll most likely post in Sansui, I alaways wanted to do a thread on the SP-5000 because if you do a search on them you will find next to nothing. So maybe a post on both of these rare TOTL in a side by side look.

Hey be sure and use a high current amp to drive 'em ...

High current amp? I like these Sansui speakers because they are so efficient, 100w-125w @ 102db. This is a great combo with the Mono Bridged 275s:thmbsp:

IMG_2213_zpswpmc0av0.jpg

IMG_2216_zpsknudzhra.jpg

D These are sweet and sound good for dropping them in front of everything. These were one owner, a airforce captain that brought them back with him. They sound better than my old SP-5000 and the condition looks like new. I don't think he ever had the covers off and they still were not very dusty inside.

Last edited:
I like the look of those Sansui's too. They look like major rockers. You should put some casters on the stands so you can move them easier. They still might not roll on the carpet so well. How much do they weigh? When I stumbled upon my Yamaha NS-1000 with the ebony cabs I had no idea how heavy those suckers were. I went to pick one off the studio floor and farted. That's one of the reasons they don't leave their perch (stinky) @ 75lbs each. They feel heavier though. I think they are closer to 90lbs. Look forward to seeing your rig D.

I like the look of those Sansui's too. They look like major rockers. You should put some casters on the stands so you can move them easier. They still might not roll on the carpet so well. How much do they weigh? When I stumbled upon my Yamaha NS-1000 with the ebony cabs I had no idea how heavy those suckers were. I went to pick one off the studio floor and farted. That's one of the reasons they don't leave their perch (stinky) @ 75lbs each. They feel heavier though. I think they are closer to 90lbs. Look forward to seeing your rig D.

Bahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha......:lmao:

Thread revived for @jdwk who continues to wrestle with upgrade-itis.

Since I've owned it, I've put less than 20 hours on the MC500. Lots has changed. Currently, the MC500 is in the room adjoining the family room, connected to my Altec 9846-8A speakers via the Speaker 2 outputs of the C200 via XLR. The system works exactly as I had envisioned with two exceptions:

1 - My attempts at getting the Zone 2 IR interface with the C200 working have been futile. I need to revisit this so that I can more easily manage volume, track up/down, etc when listening to the MC500/Altecs.
2 - It is well past time to refresh the crossover networks and passive EQ modules in the Altecs to bring them back to their full capability.

I keep the MC500 covered when not in use to protect it from big-ass dog nose prints, etc. IMHO, the MC500 is the cat's meow. It is everything you'd expect and then some. I have wrestled with the idea of selling the MC500 numerous times, simply because it doesn't get used all that much. Then I gander at it and listen to it and quickly come to my senses. Every time I discuss selling it with my fiancé, she protests that idea. [The MC225 and MC500 are here faves.]

I enjoy the MC2600s and MC500 equally. Pursue either and you'll be rewarded with the satisfaction of knowing that you have the very best from that era.

Among my Mac amps I think I have the smallest; 20 wpc in my C34V. Sounds great when used for low background music. My MC2200 is as high as I can afford.

Among my Mac amps I think I have the smallest; 20 wpc in my C34V. Sounds great when used for low background music. My MC2200 is as high as I can afford.
Find a second MC2125 or MC2200 and give mono blocks a whirl. Keep in mind that MC2200s cannot be operated optimally into 8 Ohms mono as they lack the 16 Ohm taps that your MC2125 have ...

I just made mention of owning yet another MC500 in Bartertown. My MC30's will find a home one way or another and at some point another MC500 will fill the gap of totally unnecessary amplification overkill. :)

...which, as you may or may not be aware, is an absolute requirement...

I just made mention of owning yet another MC500 in Bartertown. My MC30's will find a home one way or another and at some point another MC500 will fill the gap of totally unnecessary amplification overkill. :)
You got some catching up to do! Mono MC500s would be sweet!

You got some catching up to do! Mono MC500s would be sweet!

"Variety" that's my middle name. and the Audire Otez ( the little amp sizing up the MC500) isn't going anywhere any time soon. MC500 bookends will happen at some point, no rush. I barely use the single unit :) but when I do, it's definitely awesome.

DSC_0386.jpg
DSC_0385.jpg

First Post here. Hi from Wellington New Zealand. As of yesterday a McIntosh MC500 is on its way to the South Pacific & my music room. What a fantastic thread. I am not sure it has reassured me on my MC500 purchase as I was looking at MC2600 among others. I have for years used exclusively valve amplification. Mainly because I had super efficient studio monitor speakers. You know the 'big ass kind' like mentioned earlier. JBL4435 JBL K2 4800 JBL4350 TAD 1601/4002 & most recently JBL Urei 813Bx. I now have a minty pair of JBL L300. They are a bit less efficient & are giving my PP845 mono amps a workout. Time to try some solid state power. Everything I have read so far has me very excited & cant wait to have a big Mc in the house. .

Congrats. Think you will be very pleased with your MC500/L300 match. Post up some pic's once you've got them running together.

Cheers a couple of shots of my current rig & most recent speakers

Attachments

• 65095590_10216781599444718_2092903100523216896_o.jpg
    65095590_10216781599444718_2092903100523216896_o.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 25
  • 1071301558.jpg
    1071301558.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 24
  • 20181217_163331.jpg
    20181217_163331.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 25
I am interested - what speaker cable are you using & why (I do not want to start a cable argument) I have been using Dueland 16awg which I really like. Probably a bit light for the big amp. I am thinking I will double up the runs. Any suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom