Guilty: Exercise Your Objectivity

musichal

poet emeritus
I once tried something similar to this in these forums, asking folks to identify the weaknesses of their speakers (or system, or something - I've forgotten). Most responded by deflecting - the weakness was they didn't have enough listening time. Or treated it like an interview question wherein you make a positive of the answer - it's so revealing it exposes lesser recordings (can be true enough, but avoids actually having to admit imperfection). And let's agree here that among some of the better gear, we are speaking of a lesser degree of infraction.

Perhaps the greatest challenge of objectivity is ego. And personality. But we are what we are - the natural state of our existence is, after all, subjective; we are individuals, all flawed. Our perceptions are unique in detail, though we share the same five senses. And we process them differently. I don't believe we can be entirely objective. However, experience is another huge factor which also impacts our perception - and can work both for and against us, but mostly for, I think.

Personality. I have been guilty of being defensive, contentious, friendly, insulting, complimentary, argumentative and agreeable in these pages. Mood impacts perception, also. Maybe we should factor in the phase of the moon, too. I'm not sure, but the point is that we are certainly apt to be less objective when ego lands us in a defensive or other strongly emotional posture. And I know what you all are thinking: musichal, I've never known you to be contentious, or insulting, or argumentative - you're just the model of perfection here. Yes, those are your thoughts. For sure.

So, let's go with our best speakers, and it is only fair that I should start. But first, the rule is you can only list weaknesses, not the strengths that we may feel more than compensate for any deficiencies, slight or otherwise. This won't be easy.

My Klipschorns. Don't have the smoothest frequency response available, and some amplifiers can exacerbate their stridency. Detractors (and they are numerous) find them glaring beyond listenability with any amp. Bass rolls off around 50hz, which some find a detriment to value in such a large, heavy and somewhat pricey transducer.

The urge to add strong points is powerful, but is not the goal of this exercise. Save that for another thread. Can you do it?

Last edited:
This could be a great thread . I find the best way to evaluate your system is too listen to other systems .I use DSP , Distributed bass and super tweeters to great affect . This is how I make up for the deficiency of my speakers and room

Main (only) rig, JBL L200'S with added 077 HF drivers.

Dirty (distorted) sounding electric guitar at times sounds like there is gravel stuck in the compression drivers. I don't know if this is a fault or simply revealing but is unpleasant none the less.
Bass is not deep enough or tight. Boomy.

My main speakers do not have deep bass, but it is clear articulate and tonally correct. (Clearfield Continentals)
My secondary speakers have more bass than needed which overshadows the mids and highs. (Dynaudio Audience 82s)

My MG-1.7's have a rather small "sweet spot". They roll of below around 50Hz. They also have a slightly restricted maximum volume level and require enormous amounts of power.

My B&O Beovox S75's have very present midrange that can overshadow the bass, making them sound a little thin. Bass is very good otherwise, but it does depend on where I am in my room (I guess that's more of a room issue). Occasionally they can sound a little sibilant.

1. Requires lots of power
2. Must be positioned significantly out from front wall
3. Limited first octave SPL
4. Reduced output with high humidity

Sounds like you have the same speakers as I do. (ML Theos)

Not enough power and the music seems to be pooled on the floor in front of the speakers. Very disappointed in them when I used them as mains on my HT system. (Different matter on 2 channel, but that's for another thread.)

1. 82.5 dB 1w/1m, You better have some serious amps!
2. Very limited "sweet spot", Don't stand up!
3. Lacking in mid range "shout" (1000 - 2000 Hz), not so great for Classic Rock...
4. A little too loud in the 200 - 600 Hz range.
5. Very fussy about positioning, they have to be far from the walls, and kind of close together to give a decent image.

They are not my "forever" speakers...

Edited to add: 6. These speakers have a 0.8 ohm dip around 30 Hz. Again: You better have some serious amps!

Last edited:
Oh Jeez'....
My system is perfect in every way. It took me 65 years to get it right and now it is. Of course I have only spent around $400 for it all. All bought broken and fixed by me.
The $400 is my total spending for the entire 65 years. Even my JBL's were demos and bought as clearance in 1973. Still working and worth more now than in 1973.
I don't have anything that is 45 years old and still functioning like them.
I've built many kits over the years and sold most of them.
I have never turned down an LP that cost less than $1.00. Nor an amp that cost less than $5.00 or a tape deck that cost less than $4.00. Working or not.

Quadral Amun Mk V. Impedance dips give some amps a heart attack (protection circuit engages), which is why I could not use them for both music and movies - my HTR couldn't handle them.
Also, they need a fairly big room, which is why I have too keep them in the living room where I listen less and not in my study, where most of my listening happens. As it is now, my partner benefits from them more than I do. Placement is not bad but not perfect either, but that's the room's fault, not the speakers'.

Things that I don't mind, but could be a problem for others: 86 dB - not very efficient, and they are big, heavy black coffins - low WAF, not fun when you have to move them.

Sorry musichal, I can't find anything wrong with their sound.

Most of you are passing the objectivity exercise with flying colors. A couple (or so) avoided the response requested, or just couldn't help adding a "but" or mentioning a positive attribute. My somewhat long set-up may have contributed to that. Again, the exercise is to mention flaws (whether major or minor) only. Much better responses than the first time I tried this, but I think I explained it better this time, so that first time was likely on me, not you all - and it was years ago, by the way.

My favorite speakers I have were $900 a pair in 83 and are vinyl covered, everything is a trade off in some way.
My 100 wpc is nothing to the Mach ones I am playing with and currently modifying; compared to the 93 db ones above. Its ok though my hearing will last longer.
I know its not a fancy brand but if I ever get a Realistic (I think it's a 2100), (the 120 wpc one) my power source search will be satisfied as I love them.

Having severe OCD, I can't live with any noticeable imperfections due to being obsessed with every detail about everything. I even notice the difference in tonal qualities and bass extensions. Because of that I have equipment that is overly adjustable. But I do wish that I could find flaw in something right now besides myself....then I can't even do that cause my hearing test always tests good for a wide range of frequencies, lower frequencies that most can't hear. It's the Native American in me I guess. Sorry if I'm being a bore......again !

Difficult to answer as the two main problems are not entirely the speakers' fault - poor soundstage depth that's likely due to room issues, and sibilance on all three drivers that they didn't have before I installed home-built crossovers (original circuit, new components, unskilled assembler).

Most of you are passing the objectivity exercise with flying colors. A couple (or so) avoided the response requested, or just couldn't help adding a "but" or mentioning a positive attribute. My somewhat long set-up may have contributed to that. Again, the exercise is to mention flaws (whether major or minor) only. Much better responses than the first time I tried this, but I think I explained it better this time, so that first time was likely on me, not you all - and it was years ago, by the way.
I see_sorry about that_:oops:

Mine's perfect ... and it only took 30 years to get it that way ...

(Hold the phone ... what was THAT??) <G>

Back
Top Bottom