Guilty pleasures

Dude111

Analogue is Awesome
Just curious......

Does anyone feel like ME that when you goto thrift stores,etc and buy vintage stuff FOR ALMOST NOTHING,you feel like your disrespecting the media for what it really is?

When I buy VHS,cassettes and records for DIRT CHEAP prices I do feel bad because I FEEL THEY ARE MUCH BETTER than the crap offered now..... (Analog opposed to digital)

When i goto salvation army and they have 1/2 off sales.. I STILL PAY THE REG PRICE! (49 cents for a VHS tape/$1 for a record) -- Totally seems like im getting something beautiful FOR ALMOST NOTHING........ Does feel kinda bad to me!!! (I would rather PAY MORE for good things (Which there is hardily anything left that would qualify as good in this world anymore))

Thank goodness for the past..... We can still get things we love...... GOOD ANALOG MEDIA,GOOD VINTAGE GEAR,etc.................

Im proud of everyone on AK and VK -- BLESS YOU ALL!!
72tuzr.gif

We are a family here on Grumpys sites,we could set examples :)

Last edited:
Last week my Goodwill store had pre-recorded cassette's 4 for $1.

I picked up quite a few.. Didn't feel guilty at all..

You'd really feel bad at my local goodwill. They frequently have the VHS tapes 10 for $1. I buy an armload and watch 'em, then re-donate the ones I didn't care for. Cheapest rental program around ;)

I have lots of VHS tapes that I would be happy to overcharge you for if it will help. :D

No, I don't feel bad at all.

While I don't buy VCR or cassette tapes or records, I did recently buy a pristine example of a West Bend air popper for $3. Didn't feel bad at all paying that price.

The only thing I feel guilty about is that the artist is not making a dime on it. The GW/SA/Habitat etc. received the item for free and except for the labor cost of sorting and shelving is making full profit (hopefully for a good cause.)

It's just business. The store sets a price. I either buy it if it's cheap enough or pass it by if it isn't. No emotional attachment to the transaction. I like it if I can get 4 records for a $1.00 instead of paying $1.00 for one record. That's 4 times the music I get to enjoy for the same price.

I used to hit the Salvation army stores when I worked in Michigan and found some great deals.
Apart from audio, I found some incredible clothes for pennies on the dollar. Like a Ralph Lauren dress shirt WITH TAGS brand new for $2.00. Just one example. I happen to like the Red Wings and the Tigers and found incredible logo shirts and hoodies for a few bucks. Amazing. Also found a T shirt with a big "Don't Mess with DEETROIT" on the front. Used to love wearing that through the Orlando International Airport. I always had a clear path. :)

In Florida I've not found too many deals. Same with Washington State. I have found some great stuff in Hawaii. Especially on CL, but I know we are talking Good Will and Sal Army.

A friend of mine whom is, to put it mildly, EXTREMELY WEALTHY, only buys his clothes at Salvation Army. No where else. He also drives a Kia Optima and lives in a humble Condo. He's wealthy enough to buy a small country and I guess he is saving to buy a large one. ;)

If they are uninformed enough to sell 'em I'm informed enough to buy 'em. Everyone has access to instant research these days. Laziness = lose.

Back
Top Bottom