Guitar build

Here is a picture of the guitar body, as well as a sample piece of mahogany dyed to the correct color, as well as a CAD drawing of what the neck and inlays
will look like.

IMG_6644 2.jpgIMG_6651.jpgScreen Shot 2017-12-26 at 9.14.48 AM.png

I had CNC'ed the guitar body at my old high school and will be returning there to CNC some templated for routing the control cavities and such. Im going to carve the neck by hand too.

Here is a picture of the guitar body, as well as a sample piece of mahogany dyed to the correct color, as well as a CAD drawing of what the neck and inlays
will look like.

I had CNC'ed the guitar body at my old high school and will be returning there to CNC some templated for routing the control cavities and such. Im going to carve the neck by hand too.

I really like what you have done so far. That’s a beautiful piece of mahogany and will really pop when you put on a finish. Don’t stop!

I have a question for you Luthiers out there.

First off I AM building the guitar and am within a shout of finishing it,

I had a question regarding the design of it.

Specifically the neck

So for the neck, im going to have two carbon fiber reinforcement rods, and a truss rod, on a 24 fret gibson les paul scale length neck. the only problem i see is that the neck joins the body at the 18th fret. on the contrary, my Jackson RR joins at the 15th fret I believe. I will be making a neck heel , which should help from a structural standpoint, however I was just curious if 18 frets is too high for the neck to join.

Also, the tuss rod and carbon fiber rods extend into the neck pocket and stop about 1/2" from the end of the neck. here is a CAD drawing of the neck.Screen Shot 2018-01-26 at 1.23.56 PM.png

Neck pocket is 1.5" wide and 2.5" thick, and 1.5" deep. this is a outline of where the neck and rods will be placed. The large box in the middle is the truss rod, and the smaller ones on each side are the carbon fiber rods.

Thoughts?

--nick

Mind if I ask what part of the world your in?
I know a very fine Luthier who'd love to take on an apprentice
(No it's no me .
If I built a guitar it'd look like a cymbal when I was done)

Mind if I ask what part of the world your in?
I know a very fine Luthier who'd love to take on an apprentice
(No it's no me .
If I built a guitar it'd look like a cymbal when I was done)
I live just outside of Elgin Illinois in the USA

My only concern is that there isn't much wood between the cutaway and the pickup pocket. Some of the early Les Paul junior double-cutaway guitars failed in that area, resulting in Gibson running a longer neck tenon stub into the pickup cavity. Assuming you won't be using super-heavy strings, it's probably fine.

My only concern is that there isn't much wood between the cutaway and the pickup pocket. Some of the early Les Paul junior double-cutaway guitars failed in that area, resulting in Gibson running a longer neck tenon stub into the pickup cavity. Assuming you won't be using super-heavy strings, it's probably fine.
It'll be glued in place, as well as carbon fiber rods and a neck heel as well.

So there was some glue leakage and I chiseled out the area on the top of hte body, and cut an inlay piece from a crap piece of mahagony and not you can hardly see that theres a new piece there.

On the fretboard, I bought another redwood board and tried to shape it by hand and completely ****ed that up. Im gonna see if i can find a belt sander and and do it better. I borrowed a Dremel from a friend, and it being 10 years old decided to break on me and I ordered a cheap replacement part. I did get a little practice with cutting an inlay cavity and will definitely be doing a better job next time.

The inlay you posted looks awesome.
I'm a huge fan of DIY, and pretty much done 80% of what I needed via the DIY way when it comes to hobbies. I once thought about building my own guitars, but my motivation quickly died when I realized that without proper tools, my creations were mediocre at best. From reading your post, you seem to have enough skills and drive to do the job. How awesome would it be to say that the guitar you play is made by yourself.

As for the amp building, I think it requires much less. Since I had most of the tools already from the audio hobby, I didn't spend too much extra. It takes less time and less planning and technical adjustments.

Good luck with your guitar build and hope to see the end result here soon. :rockon:

Back
Top Bottom