Guitar - can I learn?

He should have you working on barre (bar) chords soon which is the next step. And bending strings, learning blues scale (then progressing to modal scales), trills (hammer-ons, pulloffs), muting strings with your left hand. And teaching you how to make up a basic major or minor chord and what "color tones" and passing notes are. And learning a 12-bar blues.

When you become advanced there are exercises to help finger independence in left hand (ie. Aaron Shearer method). After six mths of practicing this stuff will be second nature to you. And you'll be able to pick things up by ear and play.

Last edited:
Very cool, indeed. Looks like you're going all in on this thing. Good on ya.

cool9 I replied but somehow it didn't post?

Right now he has me working on pentatonic scales and fingering exercises. He's also just introduced power chords "for fun".

Also working on Aerosmith's "walk this way" which is a challenge for me to pick.

Aerosmith's "walk this way"
My teacher taught me that solo. Also taught me real cool songs like "Ain't talkin bout love", "Runnin w/the devil", "Double Vision", Highway Star" "Lazy" (DP), "Don't take me alive" (Steely Dan), ""Smokin" "Rock n Roll Band" (Boston), "Since I've been lovin you" (Zeppelin), "Honesty" (Billy Joel), Some great guitar stuff.

TIL - or "Today I Learned":

I'm finally able to reliably form the "effing F" chord and thanks to a rainy Saturday afternoon I'm messing around with chords and strumming, then thought "I wonder if I can do Seger's Night Moves?

Well I don't have the strumming pattern yet but I did have one of those revelations.

It's pretty easy to go from C to F to C.

wow.

Been taught the three finger power chord ? Use this pattern up and down the neck. Move the same pattern to the next three strings (starting with the A). Move it up and down the neck. Move the same pattern to the next three strings (starting with the D), but the fretted B string will be fretted up one more fret than the G string. If your into rock, then thats the most used pattern there is. :) While I know alot of chords and its good to learn them. Using the "Power Chord" where the fun starts :) Some only fret the first 2 strings in the pattern. You can also fret the last two finger positions. Remember only play the fretted strings.

Power-Chord.jpg

cool9 I replied but somehow it didn't post?

Right now he has me working on pentatonic scales and fingering exercises. He's also just introduced power chords "for fun".

Also working on Aerosmith's "walk this way" which is a challenge for me to pick.

Early Aerosmith is really wild stuff. You can see that clearly they were strung out on coke just from the riffage. I remember when I conquered Toys In The Attic (on bass of course), I had a whole new respect fopr Aerosmith.

They play like a bunch of old ladys now, but they were a dangerous rock band in their heyday.

I used to find the hardest thing about playing at lightning speeds was controlling my tone. Any slopiness just sounds like a big fart, although you can hide some of this when electric.

Glad you are stickin with it, I can't even count how many guys I know with dusty electrics sittin in a corner of their living room.

check.... introduced last night!

Y'know, a good song for pull offs is ACDC's Thunderstruck, the intro riff. I am quite certain that Angus picks every note, but most guys cheat by using pull offs to get it done. Your co-ordination between your fret and pick hand must be excellent to pick each note. however if you tried the song at half time and then speed up as you improve, it's a possiblilty.

I myself started with Beatles. No better place to start really, IMO :D

Just got a Beatles Hits songbook from the local music store and awkwardly learned what I could..

I myself started with Beatles. No better place to start really, IMO :D

Just got a Beatles Hits songbook from the local music store and awkwardly learned what I could..

Ha! Me too. Macca bass lines are so great. I still warm up with songs like Birthday and Back In The USSR.

Over the last few weeks we've been working on palm and neck muting and arpeggio fun. I'm pretty happy with how things are going.

Back
Top Bottom