Gungnir Multibit Impressions

brianjrealto

Hi All,

Just my 2 cents review after having the Gungnir Multibit for over a month now..

I jumped from the Modi Uber2 (Sigma Delta) to the Gungnir and I am extremely happy that I did. I cannot believe how incredible digital music sounds now with this unit- detailed, lush, warm and as close to analog as I have heard. It's no analog turntable, but you get my drift. I'm most impressed with it's warmth as I didn't really know what to expect.

After the first 100 hours or so, it began to sound great. But, the biggest changes occurred between 400 to 500 hours of burn-in. The warmth begins to blossom at that point.

I cannot recommend this unit enough. It has been an invaluable addition like getting a great amplifier or those speakers you dream of. It is that good!

Cheers

Very cool. Thanks for the review. I just recently bought a Schiit Bifrost Multibit. VERY happy with it. I have never heard anything at this price point sound anywhere near this good. Would one day like to upgrade to the Yggy. For now I am just going to be happy with what I have and enjoy the hell out of it.

Did anybody start with Modi 2 Uber or Multi bit ... then step up to Bifrost Multi bit or Gungnir Multi-bit?

OP went from the Modi 2 Uber to the Gungir Multibit and seemed to have notice a significant improvement. Brian can probably probably elaborate on differences.

I jumped from the Modi Uber2 (Sigma Delta) to the Gungnir and I am extremely happy that I did. I cannot believe how incredible digital music sounds now with this unit- detailed, lush, warm and as close to analog as I have heard

I admit I am also curious as my next audio purchase (whenever it will be) is likely a DAC (or a new cartridge), and probably a Schiit one.

The Modi 2 Uber is a Sigma Delta design, not a Multibit. The Gungnir version I upgraded to was the Multibit version. It was a night and day difference in sound quality- The Modi was alot less detailed and "shouty" in the highs, somewhat fatiguing to my ears at higher volumes. The Gungnir Multibit is worth every penny- smoother and more detailed, not fatiguing at all. I'm so glad I made the investment. I can crank the Youtube and other digital feeds with no fatigue and it sounds amazing.

a friend stopped by last week to give it a listen. He was very impressed with how my system sounds now compared to before when I had the Modi.

How did you have your Modi 2 (Sigma Delta) hooked up? USB out of Laptop? straight to DAC.

Toslink input from the Roku 4 for TV, Digital coax for my CD player. My old laptop is Windows XP ( which I hardly use anymore). If I get a new laptop, I'll for sure use the USB input

Toslink input from the Roku 4 for TV, Digital coax for my CD player. My old laptop is Windows XP ( which I hardly use anymore). If I get a new laptop, I'll for sure use the USB input
I have been using the GungnirMB for about 9 months using the USB input for computer, optical for the TV box, and coax from the CD player. Your experience matches my own except I upgraded from the original Modi which I was using with the computer only. I have yet to experience any harshness from this DAC, yet the detail is amazing. It does approach good analog. Like you, I noticed steady improvement over the first several weeks.

Back
Top Bottom