Guttenberg tries to describe reel to reel...

phantomrebel

Serial Tapist
This guy always loves to talk, but never really says much on his videos. This recent one (from yesterday) really takes the cake though IMHO. Maybe I'm missing something? I must be because mostly thumbs up from people:

Maybe my bias is because I'm listening to my Talking Heads 77 tape (and it sounds incredible)...

You start a conversation you can't even finish it
You're talking a lot, but you're not saying anything
When I have nothing to say, my lips are sealed
Say something once, why say it again?
Psycho Killer
Qu'est-ce que c'est
Fa-fa-fa-fa-fa-fa-fa-fa-fa-far better
Run run run run run run run away oh oh oh...
:music:

Last edited:
I watch his stuff ... I'm a bit confused with the daily need to post something but he's gained notoriety, so I guess he's staying plugged into his fan base. I figured he would keep a cleaner apartment his music seems to be laying around and it's stuffed with odd collections of strange things. I find myself zoning out on his videos at times and focusing on his living space. He's in NYC, so space is limited but he must be a bachelor. It's kinda like Wayne's World grows up. I have commented at times and got a response or two ... but I never really felt connected to the channel.

I am subscribed to 5-6 audio channels but his is not one of my big favs although he has his moments. If you dig into Youtube there are some really strange video content - I find it entertaining. Lot's of opinionated folks who want to push their system or music collection as the BOMB and basically show off. Not sure why I like it but I can burn a couple hours per week just watching (mostly middle-aged men) rant, boast and play the role of "Audiomaster". Personally, I find that sort of stuff in sharp contrast to how I present my audio fascination - maybe that's why I find it entertaining. Guttenburg is no exception ... every 10-12 videos he reviews a piece of equipment he received for free and takes the opportunity to show off his $15K turntable or $10K speakers. Then there is the inevitable "here is my system" video. I do like his music reviews and I have gotten turned on to some cool artists. I really liked Tone Publications for a while but I found the main guy behind it extremely annoying in the same way. Every article he wrote was about him and how great his system was ... how much he knows and awesome everything he does is. I lasted about a year or two and stopped reading Tone for the most part. Too bad, the subjects are really interesting. Some of the folks here do a much better job of writing about audio gear. I think that's why I'm not on Facebook ... self-promotion seems pretty meaningless to me. If you have to post a video or picture to convince people you're having fun - you might be missing the point.

For me it is more personal, and introspective. And it's true; it is getting harder and harder to just like something (without any thumbs up), without being forced to seek some sort of validation from other individuals or groups. Does anyone really believe that I have a reel to reel deck because I think it is the absolute best way to make a recording today? I know a lot of outsiders look at the interest in old audio as nostalgia, but I believe there is more intimate and even emotional element to the hobby.

Isn't he the printing press guy? What would he know about reel to reel decks anyway?

For the record ...I wish I would have hung onto my R2R - I had a Pioneer RT-707 and a big Teac. Lots and lots of recorded Maxell UDXL both 7 and 10-inch reels. I see you can still pick tapes up if you keep your eyes peeled. I dumped the whole lot and my turntable when I went digital around 1986. Lucky for me, I kept the LPs. I had several chances to pick up the coveted RT-909 and failed. I remember one sitting in a pawn shop (remember pawn shops) with the box and packing material for under $300 back in the early 90's. It was like new and sat there for a long time. Even if just to run back through my mix tapes - it would be worth it. I see Steve was talking about the complexity of getting the tape loaded up. I remember getting quite good at it and could have the thing spinning in a few seconds. Much faster than booting my Mac and getting logged in - firing up Roon and selecting my playlist. I guess it's all in perspective.

It's all good to me - I still love listening to my old cassette mixes. It was a time when selecting the right tracks to feed together meant something. Sneaking little-known winners in with a series of classics. My mixes were well known in my high school and college days. I would scour LPs for the tracks that got left behind. Listening to them now has a lot of sentimental value. The reel to reel stuff was a lot more expensive so the mixes were methodical and well planned. The art of creating something from a blank canvas.

Back
Top Bottom