Guy´s Reaction to Judas Priest, not what he expected

Not my cuppa, but my listening buddy, Kyle's favorite band, so I hear them when he is here, which lately, has been often. Like a few cuts okay. Maybe they'll grow on me a bit. Rush finally did, though they'll never rate high among my favorites. OTOH, I liked Dream Theater right off the bat.

Lol Joe :) Did you watch it till the end? Rob Halford has an unbelieveably beautiful voice, really!

Check it out at 9:18 .

I don´t think anyone can deny that.

his vids are good and mostly look like legit reactions for a first time listener
like his reaction to pink floyd time
or deep purple child in time
but come on, at his age he's never heard these? hard to believe.
even my youngest knows my floyd collection... she doesnt care, but she knows it to hear it

his vids are good and mostly look like legit reactions for a first time listener
even my youngest knows my floyd collection... she doesnt care, but she knows it to hear it

I was wearing my Led Zeppelin tee shirt a few years ago when I started a job doing floor maintenance. A friend of mine for a few years was training me. We had been working together for a while, and the tee shirt never came up in conversation. When a store manager was walking the floor with us she says- "Hey, Led Zeppelin! Good band.". My friends looks at her and says "Uh, what?". He had never heard of Led Zeppelin. He had no idea the words "Led Zeppelin- World Tour 1977" on my shirt had anything to do with a band. He was serious...

The french pressing of Sad wings is the one to have. Superior. Sometimes those French pressings can be iffy and usually cap out at pretty good. This one borders on very very good. And you can clearly hear them and Halford at his best.

You're obviously unaware that in the inner city and with most "people of color" rock music and the bands that play it are completely unknown. To be blunt, rock is a mostly white thing.

OTOH, regardless of ethnic background there are plenty of younger people who don't know who Pink Floyd, Deep Purple and Led Zeppelin are. Besides, all those bands are collections of old codgers.:D

Lol Joe :) Did you watch it till the end? Rob Halford has an unbelieveably beautiful voice, really!

Check it out at 9:18 .

I don´t think anyone can deny that.

Beautiful voice!? Not to my ears. We obviously have different criteria with respect to vocal prowess. To me Luthor Vandross had a beautiful voice. So do Beverly Sills and Andrea Bocelli. But then, what do I know? I didn't much like Joe Cocker or Janis Joplin.

The version on Unleashed in the East is MUCH better than the studio version IMHO. Halford´s vocals come through much better.

I only noticed the high wailing on the studio version after carefully listening for it after hearing the live version.

I agree. The studio version does not have as much energy or passion. I saw another live version on video about the time "Turbo" came out. It must have been in the early eighties. I remember it was broadcast in stereo and I just happened to record it to S-VHS. It sounded good connected to the stereo system. I have never seen that particular video since. I remember Rob rode a motorcycle on stage before the song.

Here are his impressions of Dreamer/ Deceiver. He usually only does single songs off an album. He is so blown away fron Sad Wings of Destiny, that he will probably be reviewing the whole album :)

You're obviously unaware that in the inner city and with most "people of color" rock music and the bands that play it are completely unknown. To be blunt, rock is a mostly white thing.

Funny thing about that. Back in "the day" (70's-early 80's) certain Rock music was considered "head music" and it received a lot wider reception. Even before that I listened mainly to the Rock music stations in town because they broadcast in Stereo. Then Soul and R&B stations went Stereo and my listening choices went up exponentially.
Now about that Judas Priest, I'm gonna have to listen to that with some good cans or on "the system".

I always thought they did a great version of "The Green Manleeshi".
Embarrassing story. Around 1994 Judas Priest was on hiatus, and Rob Halford's band Fight came to my city for a show. A record store hosted a meet and greet, and I stood in line to meet Mr. Halford for an autograph. It was my best (pre-internet) opportunity to close one of my long held mysteries, and simultaneously show Mr. Halford how deeply interested I was in his music.

"Mr. Halford, what the HELL is a green manalishi?"

"It's a... mystical... eastern, lizzard thing." He said.

I was a little deflated that he seemed rather unimpressed with my question. Years later I learned it wasn't his song.

British Steel, Hell Bent for Leather (aka Killing Machine), Screaming for Vengeance, and Defenders of the Faith is what formed my appreciation for Judas Priest.

By far my favorite JP album though is Priest...Live! It's mixed, mastered, and sequenced very well and on my systems, the bass is breathtaking.

Embarrassing story. Around 1994 Judas Priest was on hiatus, and Rob Halford's band Fight came to my city for a show. A record store hosted a meet and greet, and I stood in line to meet Mr. Halford for an autograph. It was my best (pre-internet) opportunity to close one of my long held mysteries, and simultaneously show Mr. Halford how deeply interested I was in his music.

"Mr. Halford, what the HELL is a green manalishi?"

"It's a... mystical... eastern, lizzard thing." He said.

I was a little deflated that he seemed rather unimpressed with my question. Years later I learned it wasn't his song.

I'm not surprised at his reaction. It was originally a Fleetwood Mac song written by Peter Green if I remember correctly. If I had an opportunity, I would ask them how they came about deciding to record their version of it. I'm curious about things like this after playing in a band that performed the occasional cover tune. We tried our own version of the song. Suffice it to say, it quickly became obvious that a special touch is needed to make that weird dark song rock. We could never make it work so we quit trying.

Back
Top Bottom