GX-5 capacity

RobV

Sansui Power
Does anyone know the maximum weight that the GX-5 rack is designed for? I just bought one on eBay and would like to put four amps totaling close to 180 lbs. in it. I'm guessing that Sansui designed it for a mix of components with a total of perhaps 100 lbs., but maybe someone knows for sure?

Thanks,
RobV

The GX-5 has the capability to handle up to 220 lbs (100kg) of equipment.

Since the GX-5 utilizes rack mounted components only, there are no shelves to worry about sagging under the weight of a particular piece of stereo gear.

The top part was meant to place a turntable on, but it looks pretty sturdy to me, so you might want to also consider (if it might work out better for you) putting a heavy amp on there if its doesnt require rack mounting and you dont plan to use a TT in the rack setup.

B/F

Thanks, Fred. If anyone would have the info, I figured it would be you! Two-twenty is much more than I thought.

RobV

One thing I did notice when I had the AU919 (between 40 and 50 lbs) in the rack was that the weight of the amp caused it to sag noticeably towards the rear of the rack even though the mounting screws were done up as tight as possible. Not a real comfort to see.

Other than that it is a very solid rack.

Jack

The photos in the GX-5 Brochure show a turntable on top (Sansui of course) then within the rack, a TU-717, AU-717, SC-3110 cassette deck, and some albums on bottom. (also SPL800 speakers on the outer sides). The other photo in the back shows the inside of the rack with TU-217, AU-317, AX-7 mixer/switcher, SC-1110 deck and albums.

B/F

Back
Top Bottom