1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Gym membership

Discussion in 'AK Polls' started by Condorsat, Jul 26, 2018.

?

If you are a member of a Gym or a Fitness Facility. How many times a month do you go?

1. Once if that

3 vote(s)
    13.0%
  2. Two to Four

2 vote(s)
    8.7%
  3. Five to Six

2 vote(s)
    8.7%
  4. Eight + .. I'm there all the time

16 vote(s)
    69.6%
  1. Condorsat

Condorsat Audio Enthusiast

If you belong or have belonged to a Gym or Fitness Facility. Did you actually use it and get your money's worth?

I use to belong to one … went twice per week but that was mainly for the Spin Class.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. teal'c

teal'c It's all moo Subscriber

You think twice a week is "there all the time"?
    When I had memberships it was usually 3 times a week.
    Nowadays it's a Total Gym 2-3 times a week and walking most days.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
    M1Tommy likes this.
  3. Condorsat

Coincidently I just dug a Total Gym out of Basement storage. It's been sitting there for 18 years. Still works great.
    I use to use it on a regular basis during my USAF career.

teal'c likes this.
  4. KeninDC

KeninDC Speedfreak Jive Subscriber

3x per week at the local university.

For an adult, I'm close to a "gym rat," but there are younger body builder types who are always there. Summer is great because I augment things with a pool membership. My gym has a two pools (warm one with translucent swimmers and the Olympic-sized one where Michael Phelps has a pool record), but I hate indoor pools, having grown up a year-round swimmer. The smell says "drudgery" while the sunshine of an outdoor pool is paradise.

5. sKiZo

sKiZo Hates received: 8642 Subscriber

I've evolved beyond needing one ...

PS - Got a Soloflex with all the toys and an Airdyne here ... I'm good.

6. Condorsat

7. teal'c

teal'c It's all moo Subscriber

Leland47 likes this.
  8. Harvestor

Harvestor Super Member

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
  9. audio-ed

audio-ed Well-Known Member

I belong to rec center in my town $15 a month. I'll go 4 or more times a week in the colder months. Not as much in the summer maybe twice a week. I try to ride my bicycle 2 days a week also.

10. RTally

RTally Speaker addict Subscriber

I have a gym in a spare room at my office and one at home. This gives me two more opportunities to have killer systems to listen to. After all, I need someplace to put all the equipment that I buy.

PS: 8 times a month is barely working out. I do full workouts 3 times a week, but I am in one of my gyms at least every day of the month.

11. Redikilowatt

Redikilowatt Audio Understudy Subscriber

I currently go 4 days a week for 1.5 to 2.0 hours. I've been doing this a long time and feel that at 2 days: you are losing ground, 3 days: staying even, 4+ days: advancing. Of course, at age 72 I'm not really advancing any more :rolleyes:

The gym also serves as a great social outlet, it's like the tv bar Cheers where "every body knows my name" :)

Roger (aka Norm)

KeninDC likes this.

12. bigx5murf

bigx5murf Super Member

Most gyms operate on a business plan where if more than 5-10% of their members go regularly, they'd lose money.

I go 3-5x a week depending on time. The worst part of staying fit by far is the food preparation. Every time you eat out, you basically wasted a few good workouts.

M1Tommy likes this.
  13. meggy

meggy AK Subscriber Subscriber

Phoenix being such a tourist town the resorts sell the locals Memberships to their full resort facilities including the workout rooms, yoga and Barre classes, spa's, pools, restaurants, bars, really giving you the run of the property with a discount for whatever Food & Beverage you buy. Here's ours. We're over there at least 4 or 5 times a week. Doesn't hurt it's only a mile from door-to-door, either. Bonus is there's usually only 2 or 3 people in the workout room and maybe 6 in the classes at at given time.

monte.jpeg

monte wo.jpeg

14. M1Tommy

M1Tommy New Member

I go to a local "10 Fitness", sort of gym 2-4 times a week, walk 1 1/2 - 2 miles during lunch when temps are under 85, and do yard(blech) work about every 8-10 days.

I practiced (Okinawan) karate 3 days a week for almost 2 hours for 8 years, but our Dojo closed last year. Honestly, I really miss that.

Tommy

onepixel likes this.
  15. Frankie's Market

Frankie's Market AK Member Subscriber

Up until June ( when I retired) I'd go to a gym for a spin class and use the rowing machine twice a week. Now that I'm retired ( and it's summer) I jump on my bike at least twice a week and put 30+ miles on it. Living in a rural area the nearest gym is 7 miles away and is super expensive. Not sure what I will do when the weather turns cold.

16. onepixel

onepixel .

5-6 times a week for the last 20+ years. Climbing gym (2.5+ hrs) and yoga (1.5 hrs).

I also try and mountain bike, swim, run/hike and surf once each, a week. I don't work out, I play.

M1Tommy likes this.

17. onepixel

onepixel .

Years ago, I took Shorinji Ryu karate while stationed on Okinawa. Loved it and the culture. In California I put my young daughter in a Shotokan karate class. I found a lot of the katas were similar. She enjoyed it.

Find yourself another dojo. It doesn't have to be the same style. I fact, you learn more from something different. Have fun!

M1Tommy likes this.
  18. M1Tommy

M1Tommy New Member

Very cool! THat is a great ryu IMHO. I studied Shiri-te, def. some similarities and commonality.
    There is a Shotokan dojo about 15 miles from me, but the teacher and my old dojo "had issues" some 15 or so years ago. I don't believe that... well, that it'd work well.
    I have visited other dojo close by but it was a "made up system" (my term) and I was not comfortable there.
    I still practice, have a 14x28 ft wooden deck in the back yard, plenty of room for my kata and attempts at Kobudo.

Thanks for that reply! yes.... enjoy!.... so vital!!!
    Tommy

19. onepixel

onepixel .

@M1Tommy that's to bad about the "issues" at the other dojo. A good karateka will rise above it.

Cool that you're still practicing. It's great for mind and body!

Cheers!
    Carl

M1Tommy likes this.
  20. Wolverine

Wolverine AK Subscriber Subscriber

I'm usually at the gym 5 days a week (a near fatal heart attack is a great motivator) for about a 1 1/2 hours a day.

M1Tommy likes this.