H.H. Scott 299-D phono stage - sound quality

Sonance'84

moe.ron
Subscriber
Hopefully you guys can help me figure something out...comparing the H.H. Scott 299-D phono stage to a stand-alone tube phono stage.

Most of my vinyl experience has been with rebuilt Scott integrated, the 222-C and 299-D's in particular. I really liked listening to vinyl on the Scott, I didn't really feel the need to upgrade. But, I now have a different integrated with NO phono stage, which is making me look into stand-alone units.

Now that I need to start making some decisions...I'm wondering how the Scott phono stage would hold up against some tube phono stages under $1000? Has anyone done this comparison? :scratch2:

The phono stage I'm currently pondering is a Hagerman Coronet II. Anyone know if this would be at least as good, if not better than the Scott phono section?

Thanks, :thmbsp:
Cory

I would also like to know, as I am considering using my Scott 299a's phono preamp with my Cayin A-100T integrated.

An all tube phono set-up.

Cheers

I would expect these built-in stages competent but nothing really special compared to a good stand-alone, most of these tube integrated amps used dual 12AX7 phono stages with 'global RIAA' comp that were all pretty much differently the same. I had a nicely working 299C and let it go when last in Germany, kinda miss it as an interesting piece of Hi-Fi history but I wouldn't be using it if I still had it.

The Scott phono stages are almost their best features. Big and smooth and round and sweet. About the best of the breed for their era, and a good notch above the SS phono stages that came in 95% of the Japanese SS gear. However, they will not match the dynamics and detail of a good standalone phono stage.

Yes, I've owned 3 299D's.

The Scott phono stages are almost their best features. Big and smooth and round and sweet. About the best of the breed for their era, and a good notch above the SS phono stages that came in 95% of the Japanese SS gear. However, they will not match the dynamics and detail of a good standalone phono stage.

Yes, I've owned 3 299D's.

Indeed. An acquaintance of mine sold his 299B on eBay a few years ago and I regret not buying it from him. Some days I feel I should just sell a lot of the junk I keep around and buy a good Scott. I really liked their sound.

I have something similar -- Dynaco SCA-35, which has a built-in phono stage. It does sound nice, esp with the original Telefunken smooth-plate 12AX7s. But then I built a diy standalone phono stage (the HTMCPS) when I was about to get a LOMC, and the difference was pretty huge. I could directly compare because I was using a HOMC at the time, which had enough output to go directly into the Dynaco, but because it was an MC cart, also worked with the HTMCPS. The standalone phono stage is a very big improvement in nearly every area -- better detail, separation, soundstage, realism, "air" etc. The Dynaco phono stage is no slouch, but I really think the standalone unit whips it.

I don't notice the absence of tubes in the phono stage, but I'm still using the line preamp/amp sections of the Dynaco. Maybe it's the best of both worlds -- solid state and tubes.

Back
Top Bottom