H.H Scott Stereomaster 399...I'm in love!

Hi Roy,

Congrats on the restoration. I have a solid state Scott receiver, the 388, that needs recapping and resetting of DC offset and bias. Do you know if AEA works on solid state gear, and how I would get in touch with them?

Thank you,

Paul

Hi Paul,

I'm honestly not sure they do. From what I know, Ken was solid state amp designer before he went back to tubes, so I'd guess it's possible. I'd check with them directly as I'm not affiliated with them. Their email is AEAaudio@gmail.com. They're also good if you give them a call during business hours. I called about a month before bringing it in and it 'eased me' into what I may be getting into. Because I'm local, I've just brought stuff there, but I know they also receive stuff via shipping. I'd recommend them, friendly and craftsmen to the end. It's nice to finally have a legit place near me to get stuff up and running.

Royzilla

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Very nice, do you know what they did as far as "upgrading" the phono sections? Was that a parts upgrade or did they change the circuitry? I have the 299B which the 399 is based on, and its phono sounds very good, curious to knwo what was done to improve the sound. Thanks!

@Guest108... I got one too. I am looking for original Wood Case. Tunz was kind enough to send the measurements for the woodcase. I am trying to find a able woodworker to do some initial cuts.. BTW nice system.. I guess u live nearby Bay area..

So I purchased this after getting some hits on BarterTown from a WTB ad. It's completely mint. All original everything, super clean chassis and faceplate. Beveled case. A dream...

I loved it so much, that I spared it the Roy 'I'll work on it' treatment. I knew I wanted it restored and boy was it the right choice.

I took it to AEA (Analog Engineering Associates). No association. I recently found these guys here on AK in another restore thread. Ken and Lloyd did epic work on my Scott Stereomaster 399, it's literally a museum piece now and sounds incredible. Cool gents too, so helpful and friendly. While Ken was the lead designer of some epic solid state amps for AEA (he has pictures of Eric Clapton and 18 year old Tom Petty recording while using his amps--freakishly cool!) he focuses on tube audio now. Lloyd does very good physical resto work. I'm so lucky to have them nearby. All that to say...well, just look...and apologies ahead for the crappy iPhone pictures.

f490390b062bcc936edca97efb46f4fb.jpg

d8a52578530fa0c3f28a6e9b0e082929.jpg

9c05fff26e22a2bac619d8ff4c120bf4.jpg

127882a193f2d192c3a20e3bbf5ab0e9.jpg

1d071288fc73ad6034e63eafa992be04.jpg

I'm thrilled with my vintage bedroom setup and so impressed with Scott gear.. My wife loves it too, huge plus! Gotta love this hobby.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Great pics. I just looked at one of these today. It was in great shape. The owner said he might sell it, though he was pretty certain he could part with his Macintosh $1500. Only asking $500. Should I push him on the Scott? If so, any idea what's a fair price?

Very nice, Scotts sound very very nice. I have a 299C, 130 that requires restoration and a 340B that I often rotate into my listening room. Your turntable looks just like mine, a 145.

222C was the amp that got me hooked on tubes. I love these old Scotts.

Coincidentally, my current project is rebuilding a pair of Altec Valencias like the speakers early in this thread.

Can anyone give me insight as to how good the phono section is on the 399? I've just got one, it needs to be restored, but I'm contemplating keeping it if it'll match up with my Klipsch Heresy Series I speakers...I don't plan on using the tuner very often, probably just the phone stage. Anyone input is appreciated as I'm quite new to this receiver.

OP thanks for sharing! I also have had H.H. Scott tube receivers and SS.
Only kept one and an HK amp.
Thanks for the AEA reference. I had no idea they existed and close by.
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom