H/K Citation 22 Amp: Debut, Cost, & Max Upgrade $$$?

Dave B.

Do any of you know what year the SS Citation 22 amp made its debut and what the retail was? I can't seem to find that info. Apologies if I missed it in the AK archives.

I have a dead one that I'm considering reviving. What's a realistic dollar limit to do that?

Thanks for the help!

Dave

87-93 $1149 per Orion, which can be faulty at times, but that data seems good enough.
what is dead on yours?

The Citation gear doesn't bring the same money as Marantz, or the other popular brands even though it's equal to or better than them. You have to decide what that amp is worth to you. I love my Citation 22, its a beast and it sounds incredible, but it's not worth a lot of money. Ebay was flush with them in the 2-400 dollar range not too long ago and I don't think any of them sold. Google Citation 22 specs and you will find the review by hifi classics with the release date and original MSRP.

Last edited:
Thank you, gentlemen. I'm not sure what's dead. It was doing fine and then turned itself off quietly (no smoke or sparks) one day, shortly after powering up. I discussed this with a tech familiar with Citation 22s and he said that they were known to blow bridge rectifiers. I have no knowledge about that.

However, as Roadrash (love that handle; I used to race bicycles (ouch)) says, it's a beast and I would love to have it at the ready to plug into one of my constantly rotating systems. Using 1990 as a midpoint year for its existence and at $1,149 new back then, that's over $2,100 in today's dollars. So, I would be willing to spend several hundred or so to bring it back to spec, if that's possible.

It does have some good reviews and I would like to have it back in my inventory. Anyone know of a good Citation tech in Central Pennsylvania or Pittsburgh?

Dave

Orion usually uses last msrp so draw a line between the what 895 IIRC in the review in 87 to the 1149 in 93 and pick the value at 1990.

If the unit simply sits there and does not come out of protection then that is one thing. If it is just dead like no juice lighting things up that is something else. I bought mine with the first problem and after finding the solution on line, having the part in stock and bam up and going again, just not that quickly having to make the adjustments and it wanting to stay in protection for a few more days.

They were a bit cheap with electrolytic capacitor voltage ratings. If the unit is in protection and won't come out, try replacing C11. The protection circuit is common to both channels.

Rectifier failure is not likely because each channel has its own rectifier, unless both went out somehow.

Thanks for the insights, but this baby is not in protection. It's not passing any current at all through its innards.

Dave

I can't remember for sure but late 80's is probably when that series showed up in the shop I worked at. Not to be confused with earlier statement Citation product, this was a re launch and attempt to cash in on the name. Not very well built compared to true high end gear, initial batches were not reliable and we did not sell many. I would not invest a lot in one but if it can be fixed for cheap it would be a nice to get it back up and running and save from landfill.

The only Citation gear that I have is the Citation 18 tuner. Unbelievable build quality and looks classy as can be. Built between 1977 and 1979 with a price of $595.00, a lot of money back than.
I tend to look at the earlier Citation gear as special and well worth restoring. This kind of build quality today would cost many thousands of dollars.
Someone on this forum can help you repair this unit, I'm sure it will be worth it.

BillWojo

Thanks, guys. Ray, I think your memory is correct. Based on what you saw back in the day, at what dollar amount would you draw the line on repairing a unit like this? Thanks.

Dave

Well it’s likely a Shin Shirasuna product, they also made the XXP and XX amp for H/K. Even though the casework and chassis is less than stellar, the amp is still worth resurrecting. Put a couple hundred aside to have it repaired and capped. I think it’ll be worth your while.

I agree about it being worth saving. I'm willing to make the investment. I love to bring these once-excellent units back from the dust bin. Our society tends to dispose of anything that doesn't work like it once did. That puts me in jeopardy, I guess! :no:

I agree about it being worth saving. I'm willing to make the investment. I love to bring these once-excellent units back from the dust bin. Our society tends to dispose of anything that doesn't work like it once did. That puts me in jeopardy, I guess! :no:
Right!?
I'm a little out of spec compared to years ago. So I guess it’s time for the bin?

I'm a little out of spec compared to years ago

Ha! I'm sitting here typing this with an ice pack on my 70-year-old lower back, a result of (with my loving wife's faithful help) pulling two 115-lb. ADS L1530 speakers up 13 carpeted stairs on a dolly. I inherited them and they sat downstairs in my TV room, unconnected, as furniture, for almost 10 years. Then I converted a master bedroom suite upstairs into a perfect (for me) listening room and decided it was time for the 1530s to meet my AR9s and XRT1Ks. My wife has recovered much more quickly than I have.

P.S.: The 1530s were worth the pain! :thumbsup:

Dave

Is "The Sickness" especially brutal on guys named "Dave"?
It seems so. My home office is delightfully packed with computers, vintage audio gear due to go under the knife (er, soldering iron), musical instruments and electronics gear, and it's still never enough. :D

Thank God my wife will only let me have one main system on the first floor. Although 7 speakers should be enough for anybody. The family room is mine!

Thanks, guys. Ray, I think your memory is correct. Based on what you saw back in the day, at what dollar amount would you draw the line on repairing a unit like this? Thanks.

Dave

For dollar value I am no expert on those, but someone mentioned up to a couple of hundred and that sounds reasonable. You could always have a look at online ads in your area and eBay to see what the going price for a clean working one is. No point putting in more than that.

Be careful with your back, no fun to blow that out.

Back
Top Bottom