Hafler DH220 Upgrade kits?

dc270

Now Off the Reservation
This is another Hafler I have not owned. I took the lid off the top and gently blew a bit of dust out of it. No sign of scorching or abuse. The top panel was terrible looking so I satin black spray painted just that.

I am considering an up grae kit- but there are soooo many out there who had modified THEIR DH220 and your opinion after upgrade. Any idea what a guy could consider in the under $75 range?.

Thanks all!
DC

Go through the manual and the unit and buy your own kit for half the going rate I would guess. More fun, too. But if you must buy a kit, be good to know what is in each kit so folks can make a wise recommendation. I have DH-200s that have been refreshed, not necessarily kit upgraded. Don't know if that would bring me anything. Musical Concepts kits sure would.

For $75 you'll not be able to do much in the way of replacing the boards. You'll need to add a couple of hundred bucks to your budget to do that. For $75 recapping is your best bet. As user ryuuoh already pointed out, Ebay seller Qua-co used to work for Hafler and has a number of kits available. I've bought parts from him in the past. For the amount of money you plan to spend I'd buy his set of primary filtering caps and the PC-19 capacitor upgrade kit that he offers. I know he includes install instructions as well. I just looked and the two kits would currently cost about $85 + shipping. A bit more than your budget, but probably worth spending a few $$$ more.

I've posted my experiences with some of the Hafler DH series upgrades myself. From an historical perspective, there seems to be 4 different categories of upgrading of these amps. Let's step through them:

1) 80's vintage POOGE: The Audio Amateur magazine published a series of articles as the DH series hit the streets for inexpensive ways to upgrade the amp. There's lots of discussions in the blog-o-sphere about them.

2) DIY component swapouts: If you're comfortable with it, you can go in and replace the small-signal semiconductors and capacitors yourself. There are some good threads here at AK and over at DIYAudio on the topic. Get a 6-pack and spend some time searching to get an idea. Vendors like Qua-co and others have spotted this as a market and are producing parts kits and instruction to help remove some of the mystery of this approach. This has allowed someone with good de-soldering tools and skills to do basic remedial work on the good 'ol Haflers. I also see other brands like Adcom and other similar amps being supported this way. These usually are accompanied by replacement of the RCA jacks and the 5-way binding post speaker connectors.

Generally, these are component replacement exercises and there's no changes made to the original circuit design or layout - all you're doing is refreshing the 30+ year old components; some of which do not age well like electrolytic caps.

For our OP's question, $75 will get you to this level.

3) Power supply and rewiring changes: In addition to the refreshing work on the driver boards, you'll also see power supply upgrades that can include wholesale swap-outs of the all components including the power transformer. These can be daunting because they will require rewiring. Getting the grounding right can be a challenge unless there's clear direction from the parts vendor on how to install them. I see both Qua-co and Musical Concepts offering kits in this area.

The implication, here, is that we've gone beyond just remedial work and moved into more complex work that involves wiring layout and more complete circuit fabrication. In essence, you're now beginning to have a unique amp - not just the Hafler that you started with.

4) Wholesale replacement of the driver boards: Hafler made really effective and well-laid-out chassis and heat sink systems. Frankly, they're worth purchasing if the whole thing has smoked because the chassis are excellent DIY components. The last level is, then, to completely abandon the original Hafler amp design and go to a higher performance amplifier using a different circuit topology but using the original FET output devices and chassis. These usually come in the form of new driver boards and associated component/wiring changes to the Hafler chassis. I've reported my very positive experiences with the Musical Concepts driver boards over that last 10 years here at AK. I see other vendors have stepped into this level for other amps - most notably the WOPL Phase Linears.

The good news is that these really do raise the level of performance for the amps. The bad news is that you'll likely _not_ get a good return on investment if you choose to sell it later. This means that you should plan on keeping the amp long term if you choose Level 4 upgrades.

Hope that helps put things into perspective.

Cheers,

Davd

Thanks guys for the great information!! That a bit to sift through and weigh- I have been playing my 220 and really enjoy it, to think it is even capable of more defined sound is an exciting thought!
I am using the preamp of a Sanyo 75 Plus receiver and it is sounding pretty good. Funny how you remember a MOSFET sond when re-introduced to it!
Great information, thanks so much again!
Pic are the top repainted and a nude. Dust flakes on the new finish too....
DC

Attachments

• PICT0009.JPG
    PICT0009.JPG
    104.9 KB · Views: 36
  • PICT0008.JPG
    PICT0008.JPG
    114.3 KB · Views: 39
Thanks guys for the great information!! That a bit to sift through and weigh- I have been playing my 220 and really enjoy it, to think it is even capable of more defined sound is an exciting thought!
I am using the preamp of a Sanyo 75 Plus receiver and it is sounding pretty good. Funny how you remember a MOSFET sond when re-introduced to it!
Great information, thanks so much again!
Pic are the top repainted and a nude. Dust flakes on the new finish too....
DC

If you like it stock (and they are very good stock - if in good shape) then you will be amazed by the sound obtainable with the Musical Concepts upgrades. Either way your going to have a nice sounding amp. The MC driver boards really do take it to another level though - IMO

I do not remember my DH500 sounding quite as good as this little DH220 does! Guess time heals all one remembers......
DC

Attachments

• PICT0010.JPG
    PICT0010.JPG
    98 KB · Views: 14
Back
Top Bottom