Hafler Model 300 Speakers?

telemike

Found a set of Hafler Model 300 speakers. They are in decent shape. The woofer surrounds appear to be butyl rubber and not foam. I am thinking of using these as front speakers for my living room mainly for TV, Movie and some music.

Price is $120 for pair. Good price?

I don't think I would replace my Infinity Qb's, I'm just smitten with EMIT's.

What do you think? Good buy for my application?

In 20 years of YS's and TS's I have only seen one pair of Hafler speakers and I passed on them. They are really rare. Not much info on them on the net.
There is a lot of bargaining room there. $50?

They are a tuned port transmission line speaker with 2 6" woofers and a tweeter.

I'm cheap but I would imagine they are a good sounding speaker and well made. Offer less but they may be well worth the asking price.

Good luck and report back if you get them.

Eric

Hmmm.. I am still on the fence about grabbing these. I would have to buy them and bring them home to test.

If you're buying to keep them I'd go for it.

I can't imagine they aren't $150 good.

Their rarity might make it hard to turn a profit but those that know hafler know they make good stuff.

I would imagine an offer of $75 cash and a small tear in your best puppy dog eyes would get you the speakers.

Good luck

Eric

Wife said go pick them up. Going to use with Yamaha AVR to start with, or maybe move Realistic STA 2000 down by tv

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

papyvuje.jpg

I had a pair for awhile and they do sound great. Traded mine off for a Marantz 2230 and a Sansui 5000X. Both worked somewhat just needed minor repairs. So I'd say you did alright!

Barney

I've heard those speakers driven by an amplifier that was capable of 3,750 watts per channel at 1 Ohm and they were pretty remarkable. Apparently, there is some kind of impedance dip in their frequency response that makes them fairly difficult to drive so it was difficult to obtain a good amplifier match.

i just snagged a set of these hafler 300's. not to thread jack, but, they have a very nice natural midrange, great punchy midbass, and soft but clear and extended treble. they do lack in the deep low bass, but thats what the subs for. i think maybe they lack just a little sparkle, but they also could be due for a recap...

inside i found.... the crossover is mounted to the bottom plate. remove the six screws and leave the speaker wire jacks in place. a fairly sophisticated crossover in place having 5 inductors, 4 chicklet caps, 3 resistors, all of which i couldn't make out the values from where i removed the bottom mid driver. the two main caps for drivers are a 4.7 uf 160v poly cap. and a 47uf np generic.

gains could be made in replacing the 4.7 uf cap. maybe the 47. seems more like a hf rolloff trashcan.

tweeter is a vifa H25TG-07. maybe time for new fluid in the tweeter too.

i really like the sound of these with a high current power amp. they are laid back yet detailed. exactly the sound my system wanted.

I am using mine as home theater mains. The bass is there as some LFE movie effects are felt in the room and I don't miss a boomy cheap sub I had before.

i swapped the wire between the pre and amp. brought out the treble extension.

there is real bass in my 300's. they have great true to life definition, not just one note bass machines with a tweeter. its not 15" cv bass, but its there.

i like mine quite a bit too. they havent been too fussy about placement, being sloped and rear ported. or maybe i got lucky on the first try. mine dont boom either. the kick drum has a great pop to it but no boominess.

i have no buyers remorse about the 150 spent on mine. in pretty decent shape too, grilles just needing recovered.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom