Hafler Model 300 Speakers?

Missing Spikes

Hello. I just recently picked up a pair of Hafler 300s at a very fair price and love the sound. They could use a bit of tweaking to bring out the high treble, however what I need are the spikes that go in the bottom. The threading is not able to take the spikes I have which are these thin type with a coarse insert thread. Does anyone know the correct spikes/thread for the Haflers? Would Mapleshade have them perhaps? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
mine accept t20 1/4" threaded spikes. for this i went to the home depot and purchased 8, 4 1/2" carriage bolts. the improvement was startling. the spikes raised up the tweeter and improved the treble clarity. worth it

Last edited:
Thank you for that info. Now I know what direction to head. Getting them off the carpet is a must to getting the sound right. Appreciate your help!

It's been four years, thought I'd post these pics of the Hafler speakers I'm lucky to have found. I did find the proper spikes on the bay, and have been enjoying the speakers driven by a Rotel integrated quite effortlessly. They will be a pain to move but these are keepers, really, everything that was said about them in this thread previously is absolutely true.

300.jpg

Aside from needing a fresh coat of lemon oil, they are looking and sounding nicely after all these years.

It's been four years, thought I'd post these pics of the Hafler speakers I'm lucky to have found. I did find the proper spikes on the bay, and have been enjoying the speakers driven by a Rotel integrated quite effortlessly. They will be a pain to move but these are keepers, really, everything that was said about them in this thread previously is absolutely true.

View attachment 1045593

Aside from needing a fresh coat of lemon oil, they are looking and sounding nicely after all these years.

Congratulations on your speakers they look good. A surprisingly good performer. I run mine with a NAD D3020 and they make a great combo!

Just picked up some Hafler 200 speakers and - while on the net looking for info - I found this thread. The 300s look great, I'm curious if you're still using them and how you feel about them a few years later. Still in service?

Nice find!

Wow, this is interesting to me. In 1989, (June 5th, to be exact) I bought a new pair of Hafler 200's from a local dealer. I kept them until early in 2016, when I gifted them to a good neice and her new husband as a housewarming gift.

Last week I was perusing the local (Boston) area Craigslist and spotted a pair of Halfer 300's that looked pretty good, for $300. They're mine now, and as it turns out my son has a supply of the original Watco Danish Oil that the oak veneer cabinets are finished with. He took the drivers out, confirmed everything is original, sanded with 1000 grit, re-oiled them, and reassembled.

I'm in Wisconsin on business this week but he says they look brand new. The grilles were in perfect condition too. They sound really quite good, from the 10 minutes of listening I got in.

Last edited:
Found a set of Hafler Model 300 speakers. They are in decent shape. The woofer surrounds appear to be butyl rubber and not foam. I am thinking of using these as front speakers for my living room mainly for TV, Movie and some music.

Price is $120 for pair. Good price?

I don't think I would replace my Infinity Qb's, I'm just smitten with EMIT's.

What do you think? Good buy for my application?
I just picked up a pair in a trade. I’m powering with a 180 watt Pioneer receiver. These are really a nice sounding speaker with a great low end. This was a delightful surprise. I put new material in the grill frames. Oiled them back up. Beautiful cabinets.

I had a pair for about a year but decided to sell them about 5 months back. When the fellow came to buy, I had set then up in our living room with a perfect triangulation of distances. I hooked them up to my NAD Masters M10 and dialed them in.

He was coming up from Rhode Island, so already on his way when I turned it up. OMG, talk about instant regret! Prior to that moment, I had them in our guest room, running off my old Denon AVR-1912. There moment he heard them he handed over the cash.

Kicking myself to this day. If only I'd known what they could do with a good amp!

I had a pair for about a year but decided to sell them about 5 months back. When the fellow came to buy, I had set then up in our living room with a perfect triangulation of distances. I hooked them up to my NAD Masters M10 and dialed them in.

He was coming up from Rhode Island, so already on his way when I turned it up. OMG, talk about instant regret! Prior to that moment, I had them in our guest room, running off my old Denon AVR-1912. There moment he heard them he handed over the cash.

Kicking myself to this day. If only I'd known what they could do with a good amp!
I hate when that happens. I was selling a pair of JBL L200T3. I called it off at the last moment. So glad I did. I can’t wait till my XL-280 comes back from rebuild. Should do a lovely job with this pair.

I hate when that happens. I was selling a pair of JBL L200T3. I called it off at the last moment. So glad I did. I can’t wait till my XL-280 comes back from rebuild. Should do a lovely job with this pair.
The Hafler is back, using a Lexicon 850 V2 for preamp, Denon DVD player. Wow does this amp have a lovely warm Sound.

Picked up a pair based on long time experience with other Hafler products. They are a great speaker when using a receiver. But when I put them on a very powerful pro amp........holy crap. I’ve pulled the woofers...they don’t look special from the back side, but damn they really hit hard in the low end. Beautifully balanced and smooth with a great Vifa tweeter. In have my Zu, L100t, L80T and SV-61 in the closet. Total sleeper.

When fed properly, they open up to a huge soundstage with tremendous low end grunt. I’m putting them on a mic this afternoon to see what their doing. Happy boy I am.

That was my experience too. On an AVR I thought the speakers needed new crossover compenents, replacement tweeters....something. When I put them on my NAD M10, same reaction as yours. Holy crap these are good!

Too bad I was only setting them up like that to demo them for sale. Now I'm looking for the right pair of classic KEF speakers. I had picked up a pair of Coda II for short money, and shipped them off to a dealer in PA because he wanted them for nostalgic reasons. They were his first hi-fi speakers way back when they were new, and he wanted a replacement pair for his bedroom setup. I listened to them here before shipping, and WOW. I'm thinking a pair of Reference 101 would be nice, but not at the $400-$500 I have seen so far.

That was my experience too. On an AVR I thought the speakers needed new crossover compenents, replacement tweeters....something. When I put them on my NAD M10, same reaction as yours. Holy crap these are good!

Too bad I was only setting them up like that to demo them for sale. Now I'm looking for the right pair of classic KEF speakers. I had picked up a pair of Coda II for short money, and shipped them off to a dealer in PA because he wanted them for nostalgic reasons. They were his first hi-fi speakers way back when they were new, and he wanted a replacement pair for his bedroom setup. I listened to them here before shipping, and WOW. I'm thinking a pair of Reference 101 would be nice, but not at the $400-$500 I have seen so far.
Wow we are twins. My first real speaker was a pair of KEF C80 in rosewood. Sold them, never forgive my self for it. Never have seen a pair locally yet. The Haflers will stay for good. I really like them with my Nakamichi PA-1.

More KEF speakers and love for them in me than you might think! If you can't see my signature here, there's R500 pair, R200c, R100 pair, LS50 pair, Kube 10b sub, iQ10 pair, Reference Model 100 center, Egg pair on the benchtop @ work...quite a few it seems. :D

Wow we are twins. My first real speaker was a pair of KEF C80 in rosewood. Sold them, never forgive my self for it. Never have seen a pair locally yet. The Haflers will stay for good. I really like them with my Nakamichi PA-1.
I picked up a pair of the kef c80 from someone listing locally down the street from me. I believe teak or walnut. The grill cloths need to be replaced, one of the square speaker cover is wrinkled, but sounds good. Cabinets are a bit scratched and some water damage on the bottom of one with sides slightly separated. Picked up for $50. Tested and the sound from these are amazing. I noticed it has an against wall and a few feet away from the wall connections. Which sounds better? I tested free standing in a garage and they sound good. Done good? These are heavy and sound nice.

I picked up a pair of the kef c80 from someone listing locally down the street from me. I believe teak or walnut. The grill cloths need to be replaced, one of the square speaker cover is wrinkled, but sounds good. Cabinets are a bit scratched and some water damage on the bottom of one with sides slightly separated. Picked up for $50. Tested and the sound from these are amazing. I noticed it has an against wall and a few feet away from the wall connections. Which sounds better? I tested free standing in a garage and they sound good. Done good? These are heavy and sound nice.
Q
As I recall, my c-80 was incredibly smooth, neutral....perfect balance.

I found a pair of Hafler 300s on CL a few years back. I didn't know much about them but I could smell the quality and gave the guy $100 for them.
They are the best score I ever got. Smooth, sweet and rather unique. Oh, and in excellent condition I must say.

My only problem is I have been driving them with various receivers and I am wondering if I am not feeding them the right stuff.
I have a Sansui seven and that probably made them shine the best. But I know they can do more.

Back
Top Bottom