Half a Receiver, anyone?

Wigwam Jones

Caesar non supra grammati
I saw this on the bay:

Half of a Sansui receiver

I could be wrong, but I can't see the back of the unit - I believe this is a two-part unit, correct?

I see the tuner/preamp section, but not the amplifier section.

I've e-mailed the seller twice and asked where the other half of the unit is - I have not gotten a response.

The seller says:

Sansui G-22000 Pure Power DC Stereo Receiver. I did not have a speaker to try it out. As I turned the tuner knob, the needles moved and the system lights up when its plugged in and the power switch is on. Measures 25" long x 10" deep x 9" high.

Please ask all questions before bidding. Winner to pay shipping and handling which will be determined at the end of the auction according to destination.

Good Luck!

Good luck indeed, with that lot. Borderline fraudulent statement - didn't have a speaker to try it out with. Right, and no amp either, I'll wager.

Turns on and lights come on. Well yes, but so does a toaster.

And yes, of course you can ASK any questions you like. I won't ANSWER them, but you can ask.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong - these units, once seperated, are hell to find just one half of again, aren't they? Or perhaps it is a great deal for someone?

Best,

Wiggy

Yes, it's just the tuner/pre amp section.

The amp is about the same size.

Not much good without the matching amp.

I assume it could be used with a different amp, but never had one of those.

Never saw just the matching amp for sale, so might be hard to come up with just the amp.

A lone G22K amp was sold on Ebay not too long ago for between $200 and $300. A lone G22K receiver sold roughly a year ago for over $400. These things do come up from time to time. It could probably be made to work with a different amp but would probably would take some fooling around to do it. I haven’t tried it with mine.

I’m sure there are units out there that have a smashed face plate or someone has spilled a beer into. This would make a pretty good replacement.

- Pete

I wouldn't risk it. the seller has 57 negs, lord knows how many neutrals.

I looked through some of the feedback. Even some of the positives complained of slow shipping and poor communications.

Ah, I love to torture the guilty...

After three straight days of pestering the seller with a single question - 'where's the rest of the unit?' I finally got a response when I threatened to e-mail all the bidders and inform them that they were buying half a receiver. THAT got her attention:

On Wed, 2004-08-25 at 21:09, Bxxx Axxx wrote:
> Dah! If you view the photo, you will know I only have one of the
> pieces.

No I wouldn't. You said that you only didn't test it because you had no
speaker to plug into it - which implied that you HAD the part with the
speaker connections. But you wanted people to jump to that conclusion.

> I have answered numerous questions about it and told them I have only
> one piece. But for people like you, I guess I will have to modify the
> description.

Yah. We call that 'Being Honest' and 'Full Disclosure'. Simple stuff
that decent people don't have to be told to do.

> You never asked me a question, you just emailed me with a narrative
> of what I was selling.

I asked three times, on three days in a row. You answered only the
last, and then a few minutes later, the one from yesterday. No response
to the e-mail question I asked on day one of your auction. Funny, it
took my threat to e-mail your bidders to get you to amend your listing
to be more honest.

> I am not being dishonest nor disgraceful. We rushed my mother to the
> hospital last night and I spent the night in the ER and most of the
> day at the hospital. Just getting around to emails.

Yawn. And the dog ate my homework. Lots of moms in hospitals these
days. Funny. You have no idea how many times I've heard that one.
Why nobody ever uses their dad instead of their mom, I'll never know.
Well, hope she's ok.

> Don't you have anything better to do?

Than to keep innocent people from being ripped off? Nope. I like doing
that. Makes me feel good.

> Shame on you!

In the end, we all get what we deserve. The shame will go where it
belongs.

Best Regards,

Wiggy

Oh, I suppose I should have just let it go, but it bothered me that she was not going to tell her bidders that it was half a receiver - basically useless without the other half - and she wasn't going to respond to any of my e-mails in which I asked (nicely at first) if she had both halves - and in her ad, she said "Ask if you have questions."

OK, so I got a trifle shirty with her. Prolly should have just not bothered. But sometimes it feels good to do a good deed. Bothers me about her mom - if it's true, I'm a schmuck. But I just doubt it - her previous bad feedback is full of these gems.

Best,

Wiggy

You done good, Wiggs, and the fact that you gave a careless/borderline sleazy seller a few sphincter contractions makes it all worthwile. Now she'll know that others *do* care that she's potentially giving less that 100% as a businessperson.

Thanks - and all us eBay users should thank you.

:beerchug:

Originally posted by outlawmws
I wouldn't risk it. the seller has 57 negs, lord knows how many neutrals.

I looked through some of the feedback. Even some of the positives complained of slow shipping and poor communications.

The following link will allow you in input a ebay user name and will extract all the negs and neutrals that the user has ever received.

This user has some good reading.

http://www.toolhaus.org/cgi-bin/negs

That is so frickin' ridiculous. "I did not have the speakers to test it"

I hope the earlier bidders know what they are bidding on.

FWIW, the preamp/tuner section does work as a separate unit just as any preamp would. I have that section of my 33000 running my tube amps or the power section depending on how much power I want.

I wouldnt sweat the Mom thing too much.I've had a few sellers use their moms,dads,kids,Golden Retreivers as excuses.Methinks I smell something rotten in Denmark when these "emergencies only come up when its convenient for the seller,like when asked questions about their product,or AFTER they have my money.
Good work,Dude.
Jimmy

Originally posted by CDFixer
The following link will allow you in input a ebay user name and will extract all the negs and neutrals that the user has ever received.

This user has some good reading.

http://www.toolhaus.org/cgi-bin/negs

You werent kidding,CD.One of her replys to neg feedback was "Dont you have anything better to do with your time than annoy people?"
Gee,Wigs,sounds familiar,doesnt it?
Jimmy

Originally posted by 2DualsNotEnough
You werent kidding,CD.One of her replys to neg feedback was "Dont you have anything better to do with your time than annoy people?"
Gee,Wigs,sounds familiar,doesnt it?
Jimmy

Yeah, that extractor is a great link! Seems she has a lot of family members dropping dead. Dad, mom, husband's sick, serious illness in family, etc. Wow, that's a lot of bad luck.

Best,

Wiggy

Back
Top Bottom