Half Breed X-1

Willy6

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Messing around yesterday I took two X1's one a Japanese 100v and one export multi volt and combined both to make one working version..I did some modifications that some might consider sacrilege like soldering ring terminals on all the power supply and speaker supply terminals..So guess what??It sounds every bit as good as the first one I restored and I can disconnect everything without a soldering iron..they're all bolted together..I can dismantle this unit in just a few minutes now..

Half-breed? sounds to me like it's still a throughbred. :)

Any details of what you did?
I'll take some pics soon but basically I traded a few boards in order to get it working..This unit has mostly original parts I just kept swapping boards till all the tps measured correctly..It still needs a lot of attention.

This particular X-1 was acquired from jolson
The guy who found it but it was missing one of the the heat sinks and driver boards.

I would love to see more on this; I've been thinking about making my driver boards easily removable and it would be good to see how someone else has done it, before venturing forth!

20160803_172241.jpg
I would love to see more on this; I've been thinking about making my driver boards easily removable and it would be good to see how someone else has done it, before venturing forth!
I'm planning on taking it back apart to recap it as most of this unit is all original and I'll take a few pics.The only way I could think of doing this was to restuff the main 10,000uf 80v capacitors like I did on the first one using Teflon coated silver wire and ring terminals.20160803_172241.jpg

For the capacitors I noticed that sansui uses Elna caps in certain places and of course the light blue colored nichicon so I'm thinking to replace all of the old elna's with the RFS (silmic11)and all of the blue nichicon's with either FG or KZ any thoughts on this?

For the capacitors I noticed that sansui uses Elna caps in certain places and of course the light blue colored nichicon so I'm thinking to replace all of the old elna's with the RFS (silmic11)and all of the blue nichicon's with either FG or KZ any thoughts on this?
Also I haven't decided on what to use in place of those generic looking black United chem con's? in the past I always threw in a nichicon FG or whatever I had in my box..

Also I haven't decided on what to use in place of those generic looking black United chem con's?
I decide based on where they are located, in a PSU or protection circuit I would use Panasonic FM or FR, or Nichicon HE or PM, for signal path duties, Panasonic FC or KA, or Nichicon FG or KZ, for low leakage positions Nichicon KL. And film capacitors where possible, value/size permitting, Polyester, Polypropylene or Polystyrene in that order of preference. (Polystyrene being the most desirable for audio duties). I generally don't use 'audio grade' capacitors in PSU's and the like, or for any non-audio duties, like LED PSU's and protection circuits, preferring low impedance or low leakage 105°C rated types instead.

Last edited:
I decide based on where they are located, in a PSU or protection circuit I would use Panasonic FM or FR, or Nichicon HE or PM, for signal path duties, Panasonic FC or KA, or Nichicon FG or KZ, for low leakage positions Nichicon KL. And film capacitors where possible, value/size permitting, Polyester, Polypropylene or Polystyrene in that order of preference. I generally don't use 'audio grade' capacitors in PSU's and the like, or for any non-audio duties, like LED PSU's and protection circuits, preferring low impedance or low leakage 105°C rated types.
For some reason sansui threw in some elna's here and there so I'm gonna replace those with the RFS series where applicable and see what happens?the rest KZ OR FG and what ever I have on hand in the PSU..

For some reason sansui threw in some elna's here and there so I'm gonna replace those with the RFS series where applicable and see what happens?the rest KZ OR FG and what ever I have on hand in the PSU..
If it sounds like crap I do need a new boat anchor

I decide based on where they are located, in a PSU or protection circuit I would use Panasonic FM or FR, or Nichicon HE or PM, for signal path duties, Panasonic FC or KA, or Nichicon FG or KZ, for low leakage positions Nichicon KL. And film capacitors where possible, value/size permitting, Polyester, Polypropylene or Polystyrene in that order of preference. (Polystyrene being the most desirable for audio duties). I generally don't use 'audio grade' capacitors in PSU's and the like, or for any non-audio duties, like LED PSU's and protection circuits, preferring low impedance or low leakage 105°C rated types instead.
John did you use all Panasonic FM or FR on boards F-2778 and F-2781?

John did you use all Panasonic FM or FR on boards F-2778 and F-2781?

I used a mixture (due to availability) on the F-2778 (PSU) - I did mention what I used in my AU-X1 restoration thread. As for the F-2781 (Protection and PSU), I probably used Panasonic FM, (= low ESR) as is my habit, but the 4 x 4700µF were something different as there were availability and size issues.

I used a mixture (due to availability) on the F-2778 (PSU) - I did mention what I used in my AU-X1 restoration thread. As for the F-2781 (Protection and PSU), I probably used Panasonic FM, (= low ESR) as is my habit, but the 4 x 4700µF were something different as there were availability and size issues.
Ok Thank you for the input.Im trying to put an order list together and keep changing my mind on things and I only want to order once cause I hate waiting on parts when I need them.

Ok Thank you for the input.Im trying to put an order list together and keep changing my mind on things and I only want to order once cause I hate waiting on parts when I need them.

OK, note there is a 50V limit on the Pansonic FM series, but the (newer) replacement series Panasonic FR go to at least 63V should you need it. ;) - but for the F-2781 you could use Panasonic FC as they would also be excellent here.

Back
Top Bottom