Half Your Age

Ahhhh the good ole days. When I was 24 in 1994 I was single and laboratory technician for Consolidation Coal. I had a pretty reasonable disposable income. Club hopping nights out of town. My audiophile and car hobby took giant leaps and bounds back then. My system then what I can remember consisted of:

Yamaha CR 1040 80wpc receiver
Pioneer HPM-100 speakers
B&W DM640i tower speakers*
ADC SS-300SL sound shaper EQ*
Pioneer PL-530 turntable
JVC QL-F4 turntable*
Nakamichi MB1 CD player
Optimus SCT 56 dual cassette deck

* still have today

1995 Audi URS6 Quattro Turbo with factory Bose audio,trunk cd changer and factory armrest car cell phone. a 10” bazooka tube*,150 watt mono alpine amp. Just to give the audio a little low end and still be able to use my trunk. Man I miss that car. Sorry this isn’t about cars is it?

Last edited:
I would have been 28 and the year 1990.

I think my system was Hafler 945 Pre-Tuner and 9180 amp. Marantz 83SE w/Audio Alchemy DDE1.1 with Mirage M790s
Just after that it became Sound Valves 101i Tubed Pre with an Odyssey Stratos+, Dynaudio 82s

Age 30 in 1988...raising two young daughters...not a lot of disposable income...

HK 880Vxi receiver
Denon DCM-1400
Nak CR-7a
B&W DM-1600 speakers

It was a good sounding system

1986: I had a Sherwood 7200 receiver, Dual 606 turntable with ULM Ortofon cartridge, Dual 1216 turntable with a Shure M91 cartridge, Akai GX46 cassette deck and a pair of BIC Venturi 4 speakers.

Magnepan MG-IIIa speakers, Van Alstine modified Dyna PAS, Sony Biotracer TT, Technics or JVC CD player, Accuphase T100 and P300. I was single, budget and space were not tightly constrained. Nowadays it's Stax Headphones on a Stax tube preamp. I do have a SOTA turntable and Sony CD player, both very satisfactory. And a tuner collection...

I was 31 then. Thankfully Austin TX had a great classical FM station so I was able to acquire a taste for Classical Music on my long commutes. Nowadays it's classical in the car, classic jazz at home. Most of the radio stations still play the exact rock songs I was sick of in 1988 :).

I spent a ton of time in those days reading Stereophile and The Absolute Sound.

Last edited:
At 29 years old I was an engineering troubadour, traveling at least 3 weeks a month, and moving every year and a half. Work was everything, and the remainder of my time was spent in hotels and bars. I had a small Onkyo BPC thing bought because it was easier to move.

As soon as the traveling slowed, we had 2 kids. Took another 5 years to find the peace and free time to fall back in love with music.

Back
Top Bottom