Hampton Hawes - Playin' In The Yard

fotno

Lunatic Member
Hampton Hawes
Playin' In The Yard
Prestige Records
Jazz

Picked up this little gem at a library record fund raiser along with 30 or 40 other mostly jazz LP's.

I was somewhat familiar with Hawes through recordings he did with Mingus, but I hadn't heard his trio before I listened to this album. Recorded live July 7th, 1973 at the Montreux Jazz Festival, Playin' In The Yard is a revelation in how beautifully a Fender Rhodes can be played. He manages to convey the most amazing chops through a machine that tends to be mauled more often than played. It's obvious throughout that musical tangents are being explored for the first time, right there on stage, and the shouted encouragement (barely audible) between Hawes, Bob Crenshaw (bass), and Kenny Clarke (drums) is delightful.

A couple of real highlights bookend the album. The title track which leads off side one, and a phenomenal version of Stella By Starlight, which closes side two. While individual tracks all shine in their own way, Hawes navigates his path through P.I.T.Y. in a fashion that makes the entire ride seems like one seamless tune, modulated, explored, but unified and consistently deep and rich. It's beautiful to hear a band who can hang it out, but never loose sight of melody, harmony, and musicality.

I don't believe (but I may well be wrong) that this album is currently available new in any format, but I would happily be corrected by anyone who knows better. If you do happen to find a copy in good condition, may I heartily recommend this beautifully wrought live performance.

attachment.php

Attachments

• PlayinInTheYard.jpg
    PlayinInTheYard.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 51
fotno, I'll definately put this one on my list. It's really amazing what a wealth of jazz cd's are out there waiting to be rediscovered.

cubdog

Good deal Cubdog, I think you'll really like it. It's so subtle, that two months after I found it I still discover nuance that I didn't realize was there. It's ironic that the music I didn't like as a kid is the very thing I gravitate towards now. Hey, mebbe I'm still growing? :)

Back
Top Bottom