Hands on: Technics SL-1200/SL-1210 MK7 review

I will be getting if I get another one the G or GR but still curious how the new sl1200 stands up to the old one hifi wise?
Chris

Got me curious too. I can't help but contemplate whether or not the 1200 resurrection was planned all along since October 2010...

Sorta thread sideline for a second here: Frank Sol, I own a PLX-1000, onto which the KAB fluid damper fits. Can you describe the changes that result in adding the damper? I've considered adding it.

put a KAB Tonearm Fluid Damper on it and a DL-103R (added $500)

then let it spin spin spin :biggrin:

Well, the Pioneer PLX-1000 looks like the Techincs. It's a classic design, so no wonder many folks copy parts of it and from first glance, may look identical, but they are not. Especially when you lay parts side by side, or put a digital ruler on some of the piece parts. Not from the same molds, not of the same design......might have some parts reverse engineered to look like the original, but IMO, that is as far as I could speculate.....owning all three brands at one time or another (AT120, PLX-1000).

My 2 cents here.

Sorta thread sideline for a second here: Frank Sol, I own a PLX-1000, onto which the KAB fluid damper fits. Can you describe the changes that result in adding the damper? I've considered adding it.

I won't be Frank, but, I can say it tightened the bass up pretty substantially for me and it does absolute wonders for tracking either slightly warped or slightly out of round pressings.

I've pretty much fully KAB-i-fied out my SL-1210M5G over the years and I would say it's the most substantial addition from Kevin that I've made.

Here's a link to all the mods and my entire system:

https://cgi.audioasylum.com/systems/10769.html

Last edited:
I just clicked the link in this thread to the Guitar Center page, its listed on sale right now at $999. Your milage may vary. If you were one of the people who said "If it was under $1K I would buy it" now is the time to pay up.

slate1 summed it up well

will only add... IMO , the damper will allow more carts to play well on the tonearm. Making it more compliance (if you will)

Out of curiosity, why presume that the new SL-1200Mk7 needs a damper? It would seem to make more sense to wait until you see a clear need. I have an SL-1210GR and don't feel it's lacking for a damper. ..In fact I'd be afraid it would hurt performance.

A few years ago I posted digital rips from my SL-1200mk2 (NOS. 2010 model) one w/ the damper installed and one without. .As many guessed right that guessed wrong as to which rips had the damper installed.

Out of curiosity, why presume that the new SL-1200Mk7 needs a damper? It would seem to make more sense to wait until you see a clear need. I have an SL-1210GR and don't feel it's lacking for a damper. ..In fact I'd be afraid it would hurt performance.

A few years ago I posted digital rips from my SL-1200mk2 (NOS. 2010 model) one w/ the damper installed and one without. .As many guessed right that guessed wrong as to which rips had the damper installed.
It will most arms will work better oil damped, actually the Technics arms of old which are highly sought after were oil damped, Jelco are too, and the difference with and without the damper with the old model was not small.
Chris

I just clicked the link in this thread to the Guitar Center page, its listed on sale right now at $999. Your milage may vary. If you were one of the people who said "If it was under $1K I would buy it" now is the time to pay up.
this model sure got a lot more interesting at this price i'll say that much

It's going to be hella interesting to see how these sell in a 2019 world of PLX-1000s, Stanton ST150s, AT1240s and other Super OEM models between $500-700. Will that $300 (or more) gap be surmountable based on prestige, history, performance? I would feel a lot better about the new SL-1200 if it were priced at $800 in the US market, but we'll see soon enough.

I would guess that the new Technics will embarrass the counterfeits. It had worked in the favour of the counterfeits that Technics had withdrawn from selling 1200 models. The counterfeits moved into the vacated market slot. Now the real thing is back they will be compared to it and my guess is that they will be found wanting.

Seriously wondering how this unit would perform when compared to my 1200 mk2. I love what I have but I like the look of the new one - a lot.

Musicians friend has the 1700 at 999 now as well, my guess is this is the real street price . Their preorder shows in stock in June

Back
Top Bottom