Handy Item

HDJR808

It may be common knowledge for other members, but I was relieved to find that the connectors below are still an available item:
image.jpeg

Seen in another thread, the BA5000 that I am working on had been clipped of almost all of its connectors, both the multi circuit Molex connectors and these single housings for the headers with the .093" round pins.
From what I have read, it is not uncommon for connectors to have been removed from many owner's gear and wires soldered directly to header pins.

My parts unit had several remaining, but with no identification on the housings other than "AMP" and a number that varied from housing to housing I didn't have much to go on. Digging around, I located the current AMP (TE Connectivity) part that I am pretty sure is the correct item original to many Sansui products.
These came from Mouser, who had the housings but not the terminals, and I am still working up an order for Digi-Key to get the corresponding crimp terminal. Digi-Key does not have the housings.

The part number is: 171156-1.

The (I believe correct) crimp terminal part number is: 170073-5

As I said, others may be aware of these, but I was certainly happy to find an original part that is available some 40 years down the line...

I just grabbed a bunch of single molex connectors, but not sure of the diameter. They are male and female. If they are 0.093 I will get back to you

Those are unfamiliar to me. I don't really know what I am looking at. Would someone please explain them further for us dummies? Thanks.

Here they are on the driver board of a BA-5000.

image.jpeg

If I recall correctly they are also used in the BAF1.

The (I believe correct) crimp terminal part number is: 170073-5

And yes it is the right terminal. They showed up this week, and appear to be the exact same crimp terminal from decades ago. They are cheap, as are the housings, so I bought 100 of each. So, for probably $10, I am hopefully future-proofed in case they become obsoleted.

The appropriate crimper for these would be great to have, but a hand crimp and solder will have to do.

This is great info...thank you. I always appreciate the fact Sansui used these connectors! Every Pioneer and Marantz component I ever opened had wire-wrap which are virtually non-removable. A real pain. Sansui designed their product for serviceability. Very nice.

Gents,

Looks like mouser no longer has these plastic housings. There is some reference to "new product" and I'm seeing the message "not available in your geographical area". Else I'm looking at the wrong part #.

Back
Top Bottom