Happy Birthday to BlindBoyGrnt!

Mama put my guns in the ground....

That's just how my ol' Mama used to describe a "Good Day"......"Things could be worse."

Now,If I recall correctly Bad Bob penned that tune on (or near) the set of Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid after watching the making of the scene where Sheriff Baker ( Slim Pickens a.k.a. Major Kong) after being shot in the shoulder and then the gut with all that Peckinpah gunplay goes off to die by the river and Mrs."shotgun" Sheriff Baker (Katy Jurado) runs down to comfort him...very touching..Dylan was moved to write that tune for them / that movie scene.
Perhaps,arguably not on it's splendidly simple surface as complex as say...Desolation Row.....still...

WikaDylapaedia states:

"Knockin' on Heaven's Door" is a song written and sung by Bob Dylan, for the soundtrack of the 1973 film Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid. Released as a single, it reached No. 12 on the Billboard Hot 100 singles chart. Described by Dylan biographer Clinton Heylin as "an exercise in splendid simplicity," [1] the song, measured simply in terms of the number of other artists who have covered it, is one of Dylan's most popular post-1960s compositions.

Members of the Western Writers of America chose it as one of the Top 100 Western songs of all time.[2]

Knockin’ On Heaven’s Door
WRITTEN BY: BOB DYLAN
Mama, take this badge off of me
I can’t use it anymore
It’s gettin’ dark, too dark for me to see
I feel like I’m knockin’ on heaven’s door

Knock, knock, knockin’ on heaven’s door

Mama, put my guns in the ground
I can’t shoot them anymore
That long black cloud is comin’ down

Copyright ©1973 by Ram's Horn Music; renewed 2001 by Ram’s Horn Music

The times they were a changin'

Last edited:
Mama put my guns in the ground....

That's just how my ol' Mama used to describe a "Good Day"......"Things could be worse."

Now,If I recall correctly Bad Bob penned that tune on (or near) the set of Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid after watching the making of the scene where Sheriff Baker ( Slim Pickens a.k.a. Major Kong) after being shot in the shoulder and then the gut with all that Peckinpah gunplay goes off to die by the river and Mrs."shotgun" Sheriff Baker (Katy Jurado) runs down to comfort him...very touching..Dylan was moved to write that tune for them / that movie scene.
Perhaps,arguably not on it's splendidly simple surface as complex as say...Desolation Row.....still...

WikaDylapaedia states:

"Knockin' on Heaven's Door" is a song written and sung by Bob Dylan, for the soundtrack of the 1973 film Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid. Released as a single, it reached No. 12 on the Billboard Hot 100 singles chart. Described by Dylan biographer Clinton Heylin as "an exercise in splendid simplicity," [1] the song, measured simply in terms of the number of other artists who have covered it, is one of Dylan's most popular post-1960s compositions.

Members of the Western Writers of America chose it as one of the Top 100 Western songs of all time.[2]

Knockin’ On Heaven’s Door
WRITTEN BY: BOB DYLAN
Mama, take this badge off of me
I can’t use it anymore
It’s gettin’ dark, too dark for me to see

Mama, put my guns in the ground
I can’t shoot them anymore
That long black cloud is comin’ down

Copyright ©1973 by Ram's Horn Music; renewed 2001 by Ram’s Horn Music

The times they were a changin'

A fine write-up to a fine tune. Is there another songwriter's work as dissected as Bob's? I doubt that people are going through his garbage any more, so that's a plus.

Back
Top Bottom