Happy Neighbors

Discussion in 'Listening Spaces' started by tinskip, Feb 20, 2017.

1. tinskip

tinskip New Member

Hi.

My (stereo only) sound system uses a pair of Klipsch RF-7 MKII speakers, which have rear bass ports. Right now my listening space is arranged so that the speakers are set against a brick wall behind which there is just the street. However, the space is very poorly used, and I'd like to rearrange things so that the speakers are against a wall (double drywall, some insulation) which I share with my neighbors. I'd like to keep my neighbors happy, and my bass pumping. If I use sound-insulating foam I lose the bass. Is there something that will reflect those lower frequencies while sparing my neighbors?

Thanks!

2. ETLS

ETLS metacarpophalangealcranium Subscriber

Headphones?

classic carl and darkblue94 like this.
  3. tubed

tubed Lunatic Member

There's nothing worse than listening to the music,TV, barking of someone else.
    Hopefully you can set up your system as you please and do your thing coordinated to when your neighbors aren't home.

4. tinskip

tinskip New Member

Let me clarify: I'm looking for some type of material I can place on the wall behind the speaker so that the bass reflects off it, rather than off the wall.

Thanks!

5. tubed

tubed Lunatic Member

You need to think about the floor as well.
    I can't think of any material that will kill the bass other than an equalizer.
    Build a secondary wall/floor with insulation?

6. John James

John James "Bob's your uncle" (Stolen) Subscriber

Everybody has heard how bass can travel when "that car" goes by. Stopping that travel is no simple task. Good luck! :thumbsup:

7. Chris Brown

Chris Brown AK Subscriber Subscriber

It's not as easy as it sounds. Bass travels so easily through walls because of it's lower frequency. The same reason 2.4Ghz WiFi penetrates walls better than 5Ghz WiFi. The idea of some kind of thin material that you can simply place behind your speakers to reflect the bass, probably not possible to your expectations. Acoustic panels and bass traps are your best bet, but you are right that this will diminish the overall level of bass. On the plus side, reducing reflections and standing waves from the bass in this regard will make the bass sound much more tight and less boomy. You can dramatically reduce the bass at the room's resonant frequency, which is the frequency that your neighbors will be the most likely to hear. You can always make up for the loss of bass by getting bigger speakers and/or subwoofer(s)!

8. orsen

orsen just another old cheapskate that likes audio Subscriber

if the neighbors are not complaining now, leave it alone

highwaychile likes this.
  9. Old Guy8

Old Guy8 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Unfortunately, only moving to an unattached home will give you that freedom.

darkblue94 likes this.
  10. Poultrygeist

Poultrygeist Addicted Member

The best way to keep neighbors happy is with open baffle bass. OB bass does not travel through walls like bass from box speakers

11. John James

^^

:idea: Why is that?

ETLS likes this.
  12. botrytis

botrytis Trying not to be a Small Speaker Hoarder Subscriber

I didn't know open baffles have their own physics rules.That is amazing.....

classic carl likes this.
  13. Poultrygeist

The best way for you to educate yourself on open baffle theory is to build a pair.

zebra03 likes this.
  14. Poultrygeist

they don't pressurize the room like box subs

John James likes this.
  15. botrytis

botrytis Trying not to be a Small Speaker Hoarder Subscriber

I was being snarky - sorry if it was taken the wrong way.

16. John James

Thanks, that makes sense. :thumbsup: