Harbeth C7ES-3

I always thought to my ears the 30's had just a better tweeter, a "sweeter tweeter" if you will, than the 7's.

Neither one is a slouch by any margin and I certainly wouldn't mind owning either one long term. But they do have their own signature. Which one is best will come down to ears and system.

+1 about the tweeter and the speakers do have their own signature.

Good choice on the 7es-3’s Art. I picked up a pair about two and a half years ago and couldn’t be happier with my choice. I was originally planning on picking up the 30.1 but when I heard them back to back I liked the sound of the 7’s better. The 30.1’s are great sounding speakers but to me the 7’s sound much larger and fuller. If the price of the two speakers had been reversed I still would have bought the 7’s.

Thank you. I have not listened to the30.1 but have the 30. I was looking for a full, rich sound. Wanted to get away from the contemporary notion that more detail is good detail. The C7 seems an ideal choice for my needs. Plenty of detail and with a full bodied character. Love them and know that I made the right selection, for me.

I always thought to my ears the 30's had just a better tweeter, a "sweeter tweeter" if you will, than the 7's.

Oh lord, I didn't need to read that! My Compact 7s have the sweetest, most natural highs I've ever heard (especially on violins). And you're telling me that I could get even more of the same with the 30s? God help me.
-Bob

Oh lord, I didn't need to read that! My Compact 7s have the sweetest, most natural highs I've ever heard (especially on violins). And you're telling me that I could get even more of the same with the 30s? God help me.
-Bob

It's all bigger and better with 40.1...I'm good with my Compact 7's!

Hesson, I could easily live with either speaker, and really, these perceived differences in speakers at this level in my opinion are usually just that. One not necessarily being "better" than the other. Once pricing, equipment, musical tastes etc. etc. are considered, it might not even matter one bit at all. Remember, the "sweeter tweeter" is only my opinion anyway, which really is worth zero.

There will always be "better", or that newer "upgraded" thing. Sit back and relax, enjoy your music, the 7's are a fine speaker without a doubt.

Thanks Tim and Art,
I was really just joking a bit. There's no way I'd allow myself to spend that much on speakers. Probably.

Maybe.
-Bob

Thats the way, never let that little voice creep in and whisper "go for it, you know you want to". My oh my, it really doesn't ever end does it? I have been resisting a pair of either Harbeths or Stirling Broadcasts for a couple years now...

Belated congrats on the speakers Art. Harbeth is the brand that seems to carry the most weight these days in the world of audiophile speakers, you go to Harbeth when you want the best. Period (within reasonable price points).
I liked reading about the realism of them, that they sounded like you were hearing the instruments / music and not speaker.
Can you comment about vocals? Male, female, rock, etc. Also about their capabilities playing rock music. Vocal image and clarity. Are the vocals focused and right there with you?

From the outside in, without hearing them, their design seems to have the built-in BBC dip, that British sound that so many of their contemporaries have. When you cross an 8" driver to a tweeter with no midrange in between, you typically violate a fundamental rule of thumb for speaker design, that being the 1/2 rule, where the next driver up the frequency chain should be no smaller than 1/2 the diameter of the lower driver. You do this to avoid beaming, distortion and / or suckout.
While I am sure Harbeth has done their best to minimize or eliminate any of those concerns, do you hear a trace of any of the above when compared to well designed 3-way systems?

Actually, Alan Shaw (designer of Harbeth speakers), is adamant that his speakers do not, in fact, include the BBC dip. See the FAQ about it from the Harbeth website, below.
-Bob

http://www.harbeth.co.uk/uk/index.php?section=products&page=faq

thanks, this is good info. speakers with a lower treble dip are not for me. i found a store in chicago that carries these and i'll be off for a demo in the next week or so.
also going to visit axpona, the midwest audio show at the end of april.

Congratulations, HARBETH in da house. I'm sure the sound is very engaging more than anything heard before or after. Art K, how would you rate them on distortion and dynamic handle?

I've had them for a while. I was just posting a nice retro look at them by a reviewer who has owned them now for 7 yrs.

I received my C7's on Saturday and have been listening to them on and off ever since. I really missed that Harbeth sound! Glad I made the move back.

After months of trying to get the ATC SCM11's and my room to play nice, I stumbled upon a killer deal on the speakers I had wanted all along. I still need to spend a lot more time with them, but right off the bat I'm blown away. Don't get me wrong the ATCs were amazing - but I think to get the best of them you need to much closer to them and treat them like the monitors they are. The C7es3's fill my space much better and they're a bit kinder to some of my less-than-audiophile recordings. They'll also allow me to ditch the sub :)

I do have a little bit of a low-end bloom that I'm hoping some minor adjustments and some Herbies Big Fat Dots might help tame.

IMG_3276.jpg

Back
Top Bottom