Harbeth vs JBL/Altec/Klipsch

Comparing L100s to Harbeths is kinda stupid. Hell, comparing L100s to most other JBLs is kinda stupid. Going by the sound of L100s to define JBL as a product is, well, you can see where I'm going....

Just a side note, and I can't believe how often I have to repeat this around here, the L100 is the consumer version of the 4310/4311. The 4310/11 is a studio monitor that was designed to mimic the sound of the Altec 604, but in a smaller and less expensive package. It was a resounding success. In fact, demand was so great, the JBL domesticated its looks a little, slapped a different model number on it, and sold huge numbers of them.
From there, they went on to become dominant in both home and studio markets. They still dominate in studio, theater, and live sound reinforcement.

For the record L100 VS Altec 14/17/19 and 604 are very different speakers.

I have heard:
Altec 19, KEF ls50, ls3/5a, 104 and /2, harbeth 30

I have owned and lived with:
Altec 604, JBL L100/4311

The Harbeths are fantastic and sound very British. Imaging is great, texture is smooth, not always huge dynamic leaps

Altec 604s are not smooth and have a serious jump factor. They are large format drivers and with the correct crossovers they can sound modern and nor horribly colored although they will not do low bass. I own these. I love them.

The L100's are extremely colored and do not limit the upper extension of any of the 3 drivers which means they end up with biting frequency resonances and always sound like they'll rip your face off. I don't think the OP's friend was suggesting anything like the L100. The large format JBL are different beasts entirely.

Now only if the Harbeths looked as good as the vintage L100.

L100_grille.jpg

Thank you very much for all of your valuable input.

I would like to talk a little about the Klipsch Chorus 2 I used to have because there are some users mentioned about it here. The Chorus 2 I had has Titanium tweeter diaphragm, which allowed the speakers to produce more detailed; however, at the same time, the speakers sound very 'sharp' and is more tiring to be listened to , especially when it played violin records. The original diaphragm is less detailed but more enjoyable to listen.

The music I listen to usually are vocal, jazz and classical. I heard Harbeth is very good for vocal and acoustic music so I bought it without any audition from a user on eBay. At first, the sound from Harbeth hit me as a very transparent, smooth reproduction. I can listen to music for hours without being tired. Nonetheless, I am looking for upgrade because of its bass. Harbeths only reached 50hz so when it plays cello, timpani, kick drum, ... it showed it weak points right away.

Also, the amplifier it needs to perform to its best is expensive for me :) (from $4000 to $6000). With this money , I would sell 30.1 and buy 40.1

I was thinking about a decent subwoofer. However, someone in some forum said in that way, I need to spend money on extra cables and the sound is not sure to get along well with Harbeth. Going up to Harbeth 40.1 is a better solution (*so obvious*).

By the way, my room is small, 12 ft x 12 ft and I play music at low to medium level. I am in Orange, California.

By the way, my room is small, 12 ft x 12 ft and I play music at low to medium level. I am in Orange, California.

If you are in Orange, you are almost my neighbor and are welcome to come by and hear my JBLs any time. You can even bring over what you want and we can A/B/X them. (I can do that!) I'm in Cowan Heights.

BTW, the modified L200/300s have the "West Coast" sound whereas the 2241/2251/Heils have the "East Coast" sound but are able to play at "West Coast" volume levels. Also have a pair of L112s.

DSC_0002.JPG

Last edited:

I would like to talk a little about the Klipsch Chorus 2 I used to have because there are some users mentioned about it here. The Chorus 2 I had has Titanium tweeter diaphragm, which allowed the speakers to produce more detailed; however, at the same time, the speakers sound very 'sharp' and is more tiring to be listened to , especially when it played violin records. The original diaphragm is less detailed but more enjoyable to listen.

The music I listen to usually are vocal, jazz and classical. I heard Harbeth is very good for vocal and acoustic music so I bought it without any audition from a user on eBay. At first, the sound from Harbeth hit me as a very transparent, smooth reproduction. I can listen to music for hours without being tired. Nonetheless, I am looking for upgrade because of its bass. Harbeths only reached 50hz so when it plays cello, timpani, kick drum, ... it showed it weak points right away.

Also, the amplifier it needs to perform to its best is expensive for me :) (from $4000 to $6000). With this money , I would sell 30.1 and buy 40.1

I was thinking about a decent subwoofer. However, someone in some forum said in that way, I need to spend money on extra cables and the sound is not sure to get along well with Harbeth. Going up to Harbeth 40.1 is a better solution (*so obvious*).

IME if one wants the bass and SPL capability, and the look and build of JBL, along with the soundstage and polite smoothness of a British speaker, give L110s or L150s a try.
This is coming from someone who has scarcely heard a British speaker that he didn't like.

Reminds me of a beer commercial...

Less filling, more filling....natural or colored. Everyone can be accustomed to the sound of an actual musical instrument. You just have to find a live venue of jazz artists in a smaller indoor location and frequent the local until it becomes ingrained into your memory. Or, it can be that piano that you heard in church all your lives. It’s the art of sound reproduction and it’s gauged by ear. Then accuracy is only a true duplication of live sound reproduced by the equipment you have by whatever means you figure out and that’s the rabbit hole, matching up equipment that duplicates the live experience. Many think that it is impossible, many think that it’s only possible for those with an ear for music. Some think because they have great vintage speakers and a costly new system that they must be closer to the real thing. Top reviewers write about the attributes of a single peice of equipment and not the contributing characteristics of the combined influences of all components involved. It would be easier just to buy all of the equipment that Steve Gutenberg used during a review because of what he has learned. That’s the point and there are no easy answers to the learning of what makes a true representation of accurate sound. Problem is, you can’t just go to a retail outlet and audition all the millions of components in the myriads of combinations just to find the holy grail. Then others around you can’t hear the way you can so it’s all what you find it to be within reason....and the cost of it, when it was made, what it looks like or who made it is completely irrelevant !!!

Just make sure what you buy you can return and just go for it.....

Happy hunting !!!!

the speakers sound very 'sharp' and is more tiring to be listened to

That's what a horn will feel like. I don't think my Altecs are tiring, but yes they are sharp and they are not smooth. There are ways to adjust around the horn-iness, but it will not sound like a silk dome.

I'll be the contrarian, I don't like Harbeth. The (intentional) cabinet resonances drive me nuts. But, it takes all types in this hobby, one man's smooth & warm is another man's colored.

It may be blasphemous, but it's unfortunate JBL ever made the L100, it's pulled out as the stereotype of "JBL sucks" all the time. That said, the large format JBL and Altec can indeed be tough to live with. They're not plug 'n play easy high-end, but the potential is there.

If you are in Orange, you are almost my neighbor and are welcome to come by and hear my JBLs any time. You can even bring over what you want and we can A/B/X them. (I can do that!) I'm in Cowan Heights.

BTW, the modified L200/300s have the "West Coast" sound whereas the 2241/2251/Heils have the "East Coast" sound but are able to play at "West Coast" volume levels. Also have a pair of L112s.

DSC_0002.JPG

Hi toddalin,
Thank you for your offer. I will bring my Harbeth 30.1 to your place. Do you have any amp with about 50 watt or more to drive it? I can only come on any Sundays (after 4/27) because the other days I work full time and go to school at night. Does Sunday (4/29) work for you?
Thank you.

My Yamaha pushes 170 wpc into 6 ohms, (520 WPC dynamic power into 2 ohms), so plenty of power. Sundays usually work and 4/29 is a good day for me at this point in time.

If there is anyone in the Orange County, CA area that would like to join us, you are welcome.

Last edited:
My Yamaha pushes 170 wpc into 6 ohms, (520 WPC dynamic power into 2 ohms), so plenty of power. Sundays usually work and 4/27 is a good day for me at this point in time.

If there is anyone in the Orange County, CA area that would like to join us, you are welcome.
Well done sir. What a generous offer indeed. If I were in your 'hood, I'd be there too!

My Yamaha pushes 170 wpc into 6 ohms, (520 WPC dynamic power into 2 ohms), so plenty of power. Sundays usually work and 4/29 is a good day for me at this point in time.

Awesome! 4 days before that Sunday ( the Sunday on April 29th). I will confirm with you. I think I will come and bother you from 10:30 AM to 1PM. If that time works for you. I will send you my phone number in your inbox.

Those who can join, please join , we can work out the time that suits everyone.

Timing works for me. Bring what you like to listen too. I have an Oppo 95 (plays all digital disk audio formats) and a Sony DD turntable (with Shure M91 ED IIRC, so nothing special).

Back
Top Bottom