Harbor Freight...Why?

PAGS

Why do I keep buying crappy tools from Harbor Freight?? I just replaced a Harbor Freight 1.5-ton floor jack (was leaking oil after only a few times used) with a "heavy duty" 3-ton Harbor Freight jack. It was a pain in the arse to set up. Had to remove a plate (4 tight screws) to access the oil fill hole. Then after bleeding, had a heck of a time getting the plug back in.

Oh, I know why. I'm seduced by the ultra-cheap prices, 20% off coupons and free junk. Sort of the same reason I buy cheap Chi-Fi DACs and throw-away D-amps from PartsExpress. (In other words, I'm a cheap bastard.) LOL

(For the record, my newest cordless drill-driver is a Bosch. It was an Xmas gift from my daughter.)

Other side of the coin - I've had pretty good luck with them. My tools have to do the job at hand, but I don't need them to last forever, and too cheap to pay the big bux for "quality" ... which tends to be debatable, as proved by a slew of snapped off Snap Ons in the drawer of shame here ...

Latest acquisition is a floor demonstrator shaper/router that I needed to churn out a bunch of kitchen cabinet doors when I was refacing the cabinets.

shaper-router-(3).jpg

Check out the drawers for an idea of what I had to work with when starting out - typical plywood hunter's cabin that I've managed to make a home.

kitchen-cabinets.jpg

I have an engine stand and an engine crane that have been good. Probably 20 years on them, maybe more. Their hand tools, not so good. Some of their electrical tools, like grinders and drills, are not all that bad either. Some are Milwaukee and Makita copies. The chucks on the drills are not that great but the motors last. Their HD tool chests and boxes are perfect for the homeowner. I also have a Quincy air compressor I bought through them. Cast iron block and cylinder, It has been fantastic.
If you use your floor jack a lot than I guess it's best to go through a reputable tool company.

I have bought a total of one HF power tool-a hammer drill. I just needed one to anchor a stair rail in concrete. Did not want to ruin my Makita drill trying to bore 3" deep so took a chance. It worked great for 16 holes and a few more later on for some concrete wall anchors. Buying a cheap disposable tool is cheaper than renting.

I buy mostly stuff like air compressor fittings, wheelbarrow tires, slings, ropes, zip ties, grinder wheels, trailer lights, stuff like that. Tools have been mostly crowbars and stuff that's hard to screw up.

I got a multimeter for Mom's house when I'm there working on her stuff, with coupons about $20, darn nice unit for the price.

Power tools, not so much.

I have one of their aluminum jacks that I've used for years. Easy to take to the track and handy to move around in the yard. My old heavy steel jacks are probably dead from lack of use but the Harbor Freight aluminum is still working fine. I'll likely buy another when I move into my new house with a nice new big garage later this month.

My contractor used their really light, no tangle, air lines. I'd never seen those before but they worked throughout the abuse of building a house for a year and I believe they came with a lifetime warranty. I think one did start to leak and they didn't have the same one but replaced it with a longer one. I'll probably get some of those, too, once i can actually get to my compressors. :D

I've had decent luck. For one-off tools to work on the car with (such as ball joint separators, wheel chocks, etc.), they've served their purpose.

I have one of the two ton floor jacks--no issues, no leaks, and it got a serious workout this past summer as I did all sorts of work here (including new struts, front and rear, on two of our SUVs). Only thing is, the 2-ton has a short throw, so I may spring for a larger one in the next couple of months. I wanted to get a hydraulic press, but the reviews were poor, so I passed. (I've worked around hydraulic presses before--you don't want anything tilting to one side or you've got a dangerous projectile weapon aimed at you.)

I have a couple of their 12V trickle chargers that seem to work OK--the batteries start everything up when called upon.

Some of the stuff seems janky, but I avoid those items. Although they're not the only ones--the house brand tools at Menard's, for example, are pretty much garbage. One example are the drill bits I bought. Some were actually slightly off-center, and all of them dulled after just two or three uses. I have a couple ancient bits from my dad's set in my toolbox that have drilled hundreds of holes that still work great. Surprisingly, the few Husky tools I've purchased at Home Depot have stood up to my abuse and haven't broken yet. Although I was highly disappointed in their breaker bar--it flexes under load. Not good. (My dad's ancient Craftsman, probably 60 years old by now, doesn't flinch. It's just not long enough.)

My favorite power drill here is actually a Black & Decker that has an interchangeable head on it--I purchased the impact driver add-on and didn't realize how helpful it was for other chores around the house. Pretty cool!

I have an engine stand and an engine crane that have been good. Probably 20 years on them, maybe more. Their hand tools, not so good. Some of their electrical tools, like grinders and drills, are not all that bad either. Some are Milwaukee and Makita copies. The chucks on the drills are not that great but the motors last. Their HD tool chests and boxes are perfect for the homeowner. I also have a Quincy air compressor I bought through them. Cast iron block and cylinder, It has been fantastic.
If you use your floor jack a lot than I guess it's best to go through a reputable tool company.

You bought a Quincy at Harbor Freight ! I must have missed that deal.

What a handy tool to own. Easy way to check cooling systems on cars, cylinder firing, brakes dragging, etc.

An AK member recommended the AMES gun over his Fluke. He said that the emissivity was better too on the AMES. Couldn't beat the pricepoint.

Will be using to troubleshoot amplifier runaway-tubes, HVAC, and maybe even BBQ in the smoker. :D

Although I was highly disappointed in their breaker bar--it flexes under load. Not good. (My dad's ancient Craftsman, probably 60 years old by now, doesn't flinch. It's just not long enough.)
Craftsman may not be what it used to be. I recently broke my 3/8" craftsman ratchet (again) that I had bought in the 60's. Took it into Sears for a gear repair kit but they were out. They offered me a replacement but told me the new stuff is made in China while mine was better US steel. They advised I wait for the part but I needed it now so I took it. I am sure it will give me service for the rest of my life and it is more comfortable to grip. They may not last forever, but the warranty still does.

”Use it once and throw it away” should be Harbour Freights moto. Unless you have the receipt, then you can return it.

Back
Top Bottom