Harman Kardon 330b or 330c?

fisherrose

I've read a lot on these forums about the H/K x30 series receivers. However, I have had difficulty finding good information about the differences between the 330b and 330c series receivers. There is good information about the history and a lot of love for them all, but can anyone enlighten me about the difference in sound, reliability, ease of maintenance/repair, etc. between these two models?

The upgrade bug is biting and I'd like to try one of these H/K models with my Klipsch Forte IIs.

I like the 330A/B better. Mostly I just think they look better. They also have pre-out/main-in jumpers in the back, a feature that the C is missing. So when the upgrade bug strikes again, you can still use an A/B model as a preamp.

A 330A was the first stereo I ever repaired, so maybe I am a bit biased.

The 330 b/c are not part of the x30 series. The x30 series include the 430, 630, 730, and 930, which all are twin powered units. The 330 is not twin powered.

Here's a link to an AK thread on the differences between the 330a, 330b, and 330c (with some comments on the HK Three Thirty). I'll also add that there was 330i IIRC (that possibly offered faces in all black or all silver).

Good luck on your HK x30 series receiver quest.

Btw, my HK 330b/KLH Model 17 speaker setup sound pretty good to me. However, I haven't a chance to A-B it against any of the other HK x30 series receivers.

The C and perhaps later models are the best versions. Fully complimentary outputs and capable of bursts of very high current into low impedances.

There is a how to for installing pre-power out/in on the 330c if that is needed and one wants a project. Shouldn't be too hard.

I appreciate all the help. I'm getting that I probably can't go wrong with either unit, so I'll just pick up the next one that is within my price range. Thanks, everybody.

Just have to say - I have two 330b receivers and I love them, but in both, the transistors are starting to get noisy. The main problem seems to be in the preamp sections so they are still useful as amps, but the hiss is definitely there in the pre. You'll want to audition if you can, or know that at about 40 years, these are getting to the point where some major work would be just about unavoidable in the near term.

I have a 430 too and it's very good, get occasional switch drop-outs but it is still running good and strong. So if you get the chance for one of those, go for it. Wish these had the pre out-main in jumpers, but I guess you can't have everything.

If I remember correctly, hk still keeps manuals on their site for their vintage gear. You could download the manuals for the models you are considering and compare and contrast.
I have the 330c and it it's a perfect fit with my Polk SDA CRS+. I also have a 730 twin that seemed like too much power for the bedroom that I need to work in to the living room system.

Sent with my thumbs via tapatalk.

The 330 b/c are not part of the x30 series. The x30 series include the 430, 630, 730, and 930, which all are twin powered units. The 330 is not twin powered.

I beg to differ on that point...the 330 are not twin power, but they are the entry level model to the _30 series. The 'series' is based on model number.

330b with Dynaco A25's here. No complaints but not very loud. Also have a 230A, also works - low volumes w/ A25's. My 930 is more than I need, miss my old 730. That was my sweet spot. Available? Guess it depends if you are in a metro area, or just hit the right garage sale. They are out there, but getting more scarce I think.

I know this is an old thread, but figured I'd chime in anyway. When my better half decided that my vott a7's needed to be downstairs in the basement I went hunting for a clean low powered and inexpensive replacement for the Williamson tube mono amps that I didn't want to risk. I pulled a hk 330b out of storage and I found that it worked surprisingly well for this job. It's very clear with a warm tending towards tubelike sound. The altecs don't need much power to get loud, so the 17 wpc rating was more than sufficient. It was a tag sale find, so if the humidity in the basement turns out to be worse than it seems, I'm not out much. The votts on the other hand.....what you gonna do. Women...you can't live with them...you can't sell them for enough money for new speakers.

I know this is an old thread, but figured I'd chime in anyway. When my better half decided that my vott a7's needed to be downstairs in the basement I went.........................

Does she see you much anymore? Wow, votta7s, I'd be living down there!

I pulled a hk 330b out of storage and I found that it worked surprisingly well for this job. It's very clear with a warm tending towards tubelike sound.

I've got my 330b running Wharfedale W90s, and/or a (mono) Tannoy Silver 12 in EV Aristocrat corner horn. I'm very happy with the unit. Bought with a "dead channel", but only needed Deoxit.

3 Way.jpg

Your Wharfedales are beautiful. I have some w70's that I cycle in and out of use and I never get tired of them. The votts do sound wonderful, but they have no waf (I think that means wife appeal factor, or something like that). I have been finding myself in the basement more and more. I guess it beats the doghouse. I haven't had a chance to organize properly yet, but I'll throw in a quick pic. I've been reliving my old vhs concert tapes. When the lights are out down there, the somewhat unattractive aspects of theater speakers is mitigated.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 57
Your Wharfedales are beautiful. I have some w70's that I cycle in and out of use and I never get tired of them. The votts do sound wonderful, but they have no waf (I think that means wife appeal factor, or something like that). I have been finding myself in the basement more and more. I guess it beats the doghouse. I haven't had a chance to organize properly yet, but I'll throw in a quick pic. I've been reliving my old vhs concert tapes. When the lights are out down there, the somewhat unattractive aspects of theater speakers is mitigated.

I'm told my "rough cut" open baffles can never leave the basement (no matter if I re-do them in walnut or clad them in fabric, or whatever) Less than zero WAF. Sometimes though, she'll join me down there to share a few tunes. :)

3wayOB.JPG

With these older threads, I doubt if anybody cares, but I'm going to try to stay to topic somewhat. I suspect it's as much the speakers as the 330b, but my little receiver fills my basement with sound. I've always been told that the votts need space to work in. I figured I take a pic that shows what amount of area I'm working with.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    97.2 KB · Views: 107
Back
Top Bottom