1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Harman Kardon 330B

Discussion in 'Tuners' started by Steddie1, Jun 27, 2018.

1. Steddie1

Steddie1 New Member

Always loved music and a good sound, but as a young parent was always on a budget. Put together some good second hand systems (Sansui, Rotel, Pioneer) and developed a love of getting good sound at a cheap price. 30 years later I can afford top line gear, but still have a hankering for vintage gear at a good price.
    Found a Harmon Kardon 330B at a stupid price ($30) and connected it to my Wharfedale Varus 400 speakers, and I can’t believe the sound. Maybe it’s the long narrow room it’s in, but it’s amazing!
    Clear, detailed, deep and warm with some punch. Has me listening to the radio more than ever, and great phono reproduction.

Does anybody out there in Ak land share this opinion or are my ears deceiving me? Am I biased because it was a bargain??

Interested in some feedback....

dlucy likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. sfox52

sfox52 AK Subscriber Subscriber

The HK 330's are one of the best of the low powered classic receivers, lots of support for them here on AK if you should need it. Enjoy!

dlucy and Steddie1 like this.
  3. Steddie1

Steddie1 New Member

Yet to see how it goes with digital input. One of the first amplifiers I’ve had that sounds great with neutral bass and treble....but perhaps that’s because I’ve never owned ‘audiophile’ gear. Is expensive equipment significantly better in quality or is it what your ears get used to?

4. sfox52

sfox52 AK Subscriber Subscriber

In the end it's subjective-if it sounds good to you, that is what matters!

5. jlovda

jlovda Things I loved from the 60's and 70's Subscriber

I completely recapped one a few years ago as a project. It sounded really nice but I already had too much equipment to keep. Internally, it was very clean and uncluttered. Easy to work on except for one power supply cap. You are probably unfamiliar with the JBL SA600 amplifier from the late 60's but this model copied the uniquely styled knobs.

Steddie1 likes this.
  6. dlucy

dlucy dlucy67 (Doug) Subscriber

The HK Three Thirty, the 330A and the 330B are great-sounding receivers and they get their particular "sound" from having big capacitors between the power amps circuit and the speakers. Modern equipment does not use this design. They also have individual transistors instead of amp-on-a-chip and quasi-complementary designs. These elements all add up to a particular "sound". There are a good number of other models from other manufacturers (Pioneer SX-626 is very similar) with these same designs and very similar "sound".

Enjoy the sound! You'l want to recap the unit soon as the electrolytic capacitors inside are aging and will fail sometime. Until then, enjoy the sound and share with firends who've only ever heard the very-neutral sound of today's designs. It's a treat to hear the difference.

Steddie1 likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.

7. audiomagnate

audiomagnate Addicted Member

330B's are legendary! Enjoy.

Steddie1 likes this.