Harman/Kardon 330c - Intermittent audio in left channel

Techs probably have piles of stuff they collected, took in trade, were abandoned but the tech fixed them, etc.

I’ve had people offer me gear for work. I had too much but stuff keeps adding to the piles.
My someday pile would fill a pickup truck.
I’ve forgotten what’s all in there.

They may give you a trade in discount.

I would say any good, busy, vintage tech would have a pile of parts units, project units, stuff they haven’t gotten to yet. They should have some interest in any good vintage pieces for some value.

I do.

Never know till you go.

Last edited:
Techs probably have piles of stuff they collected, took in trade, were abandoned but the tech fixed them, etc.

I’ve had people offer me gear for work. I had too much but stuff keeps adding to the piles.

They may give you a trade in discount.

I would say any good, busy, vintage tech would have a pile of parts units, project units, stuff they haven’t gotten to yet. They should have some interest in any good vintage pieces for some value.

I do.

Never know till you go.
Interesting.

My dad's old Technics receiver should be arriving in the mail tomorrow. I think what I'll do first of all is see if I can get that up and running. I hear the SA-202 is kind of garbage, but unlike the 330c, it has sentimental value--so I might want to get it repaired, if necessary. If it does need repairs, maybe I can bribe the tech to take some off the price, if I offer the 330c in trade.

I'd guess people around here would call me crazy for doing something like that, since the 330c is much more highly regarded than the SA-202, but what can I say... It's my dad's old gear... it would mean a lot to me to get it up and running again.

Old Technics gear is better than people think.

You really can’t judge by herd thinking or cult belief. I got stuff people won’t buy that sounds excellent.

There is stuff everyone thinks they want that I have no interest in except to flip for fun and profit.

Forget other people. Do what you want and feels good.

I'd guess people around here would call me crazy for doing something like that, since the 330c is much more highly regarded than the SA-202, but what can I say... It's my dad's old gear... it would mean a lot to me to get it up and running again.

Many people have gear that has sentimental value of some kind. Nothing at all wrong with making such a piece useful and working again. Rock on!

Many people have gear that has sentimental value of some kind. Nothing at all wrong with making such a piece useful and working again. Rock on!

Yup, I have my uncles SX-6000
We lost him in 1976.
I put a lot of time in on that one to fix it.
The shop couldn’t fix it back in the 80s.

Gave me a soft spot for the SX-6000.

You get static _while adjusting a knob_? Or just while listening?

Static during knob adjust means oxidized potentiometer or switch. Static during listening could be loose connection, bad solder joint, oxidized jack, or failing (noisy) transistor.
@dlucy -
How are you, my friend? It's been a long time. My beloved 730 is having a similar issue to this older post. I started noticing after switching inputs from my tube amp back to the H/K730. If I fiddle with the input plugs, the sound will come and go. It could be any input - phono or aux. When it's playing perfectly (and that receiver still sings like no other) it sounds amazing, but then the left channel will drop in and out and can be static-y. I sprayed all the pots with Deoxit. No luck. What do you think?

Back
Top Bottom