Harman Kardon 930: Born Again

vintagestereo

Addicted Member
Just got my newly acquired HK 930 back from the Tech and it's time for her coming out party!

Turns out that all she needed was a tensioner in the dial string and a good cleaning. Personally, I think she's GRAND!! All her knobs are solid metal with a complex front panel casting. Independent left/right tone controls and that cool transparent red Power Button! Best of all, she's Twin Powered, with dual transformers, and H/K's legendary ultra-wideband frequency response circuitry. She's a rare bird....so, frankly, I don't believe that a nicer 930 is out there.

The 930 is a true wonder. The epitome of h/k design (save for the Citation Receiver) and it is rightly cherished and adored.

Great looker too.

That is a beautiful receiver!

It looks from the pic like you probably need to turn up the volume a little, though :D

Nice - how do you like the sound out of that "rare bird"? How does it compare with some of your other "beloveds"?

waylyn5945 said:
Nice - how do you like the sound out of that "rare bird"? How does it compare with some of your other "beloveds"?

And especially how does it compare against your Marantz 18? (Fair question?)

M Jarve said:
P.S.

Here is a link to a scan of the sales brochure for the 930, with specs and what not.

Mike -- The sales brochure you posted was EXCELLENT. It confirmed that the 930 was the FIRST "dual mono" receiver.

From what I can tell, there were two lines of "twin powered" H/Ks.

There's the initial set of the 930 and 630 and the successor units, the 730 and the 430. Is that correct?

The 930 and the 730 have the same power ratings (45 wpc), however, the 930 looks like it cost more to make because of the relatively more complex faceplate. However, the 730 replaces the 930's conventional tuning meters with the innovative "quieting meter", showing when the optimum signal to noise ratio has been achieved. It also looks like the 730 did away with the independent L/R tone controls and the Tone Defeat button of the 930.

But, since you're the expert, any chance you could describe the differences between the 930 and the 730?

In my opinion, the Harman/Kardon 930 just might be the best stereo receiver ever produced by HK. The photo above is fantastic. Everything about this receiver is impressive to me. I can still recall one kid in my high school, a rich kid, who was the first one on the block to own this great receiver, along with a pair of KLH Model Five loudspeakers. Way back in 1971, this kid had the best system of anyone in school. He helped fuel my own addiction. The model 630 receiver was not far behind in overall quality. Does anybody know what the average price of the HK 930 might be today? Just curious.

vintagestereo said:
Mike -- The sales brochure you posted was EXCELLENT. It confirmed that the 930 was the FIRST "dual mono" receiver.

From what I can tell, there were two lines of "twin powered" H/Ks.

There's the initial set of the 930 and 630 and the successor units, the 730 and the 430. Is that correct?

The 930 and the 730 have the same power ratings (45 wpc), however, the 930 looks like it cost more to make because of the relatively more complex faceplate. However, the 730 replaces the 930's conventional tuning meters with the innovative "quieting meter", showing when the optimum signal to noise ratio has been achieved. It also looks like the 730 did away with the independent L/R tone controls and the Tone Defeat button of the 930.

But, since you're the expert, any chance you could describe the differences between the 930 and the 730?

There were two series of Twin Powered X30: first in 1973 the 630(30 WPC) and 930(45WPC), then in 1976, the 430(25WPC) and 730(40WPC). So the 730, which replaced the 930, is actually less powerful! But, there was a corresponding drop in price too. In 1973, the 930 had an MSRP of $480 (about $2120.00US in today's dollars); the 1976 730 retailed for $400.00 (about $1373.00US in today's dollars).

The sound of the 930 and 730, at least to my ears and using my units, is fairly similar. The 930 has a tendency to be a little noisier, but it definitely wins out in power. That 5 watt difference is pretty big. The 730 is a little warmer sounding; less fatiguing on something like my Wharfedale E-90’s. But the 930 sounds infinitely better on my Altec 887A Capri’s.

In terms of build quality, you can see the difference on my site and on the AK forum (for the 930; 730 here). The 930 used chrome plating in some areas, and the knobs were machined metal. The 730 uses thick aluminum foil on the front, and plastic knobs with metal caps.

Which wins out in terms of styling is up to personal preference; I like them about the same.

russkish said:
Does anybody know what the average price of the HK 930 might be today? Just curious.

List price is $78.00. Ebay ranges from (realistic) $125.00-$200.00 for units in fine condition.

Thank you, Mike, for your updated info and especially for that great link to the brocure for the HK 930. I feel like an 18 year old punk fresh out of John Muir High School in Pasadena when I see that brochure. Takes me all the way back to my formative early years of audio mutancy. I wonder whatever happened to Bruce Kim, the rich bastard who was the sole owner of the 930 during high school days. His father had the market cornered on grandstand seats for the Tournament of Roses. No wonder Bruce had so much money to spend on great gear in the early 70s.

I'm back.. The step son blew out the video card on the PC. More joys with him. He averages something significant broken each month...

Back to our regularly scheduled program. VS, great buy! Looks perfect. :thmbsp: It looks like you have a very early 930 as the harman/kardon name is different from the brochure. (Big scramble as everyone compares.) Mine is the same as the lettering on the unit in the brochure. Be interesting to compare serial numnbers, mine is 225 18945. I have the late model case as well, which only covers the top and sides, but not the bottom.

I too remember the 930 when it was THE receiver to have. I desperately wanted one. It is a true work of art.

There are two camps when comparing the 930 to the 730. I prefer what I loosely would term the "elegant" styling of the 730 vs the 930. I have said this countless times, but I find the 730 a timeless design that still looks good. I never understood why h/k broke up the styling by putting the 3 switches beside the tuning knob. I think the 630 wins out on looks in that department. If comparing the 930's sister to it.

The 930 has more features, and along with that, more complexity. Can be a good thing and a bad thing. It has all the features one could ask for save an ejection seat.

As Mike said, each has its own personality. I find the 730 sounds better on my Magnats, the 930 is better on my Dynacos. Not sure why.

VS you have a great addition to your collection.

Regards,
Joe

harman kardon 730 question

I took my 730 apart to try to fix the headphone jack and now its left channel doesn't make sound. Yes I am a tool. Anyway, I just bought a Toshiba ST/SC/SY 665 system to replace it and I don't think it sounds as good. Like really not as good. Question: should I just get the freakin 730 fixed? I take it you guys like them.

Thanks,
Brad

Clean and beautiful! I guess you'll be enjoying those 45 wpc. Turn it up. I can't quite hear it.

Fine receiver, but I think I might like it a bit better with the FM dial extended a bit, and the tuning knob moved to the right, like this

Nice h/k, vintagestereo

I love my 730. I have been watching for another of that era... like a 930! Looks wise I'm like manitoulin and prefer the 730, but I also like the wood case and solid control knobs of the 930. Maybe I'm open-minded (or can't make a decision...!) :)

Luke

bradley000 said:
I took my 730 apart to try to fix the headphone jack and now its left channel doesn't make sound. Yes I am a tool. Anyway, I just bought a Toshiba ST/SC/SY 665 system to replace it and I don't think it sounds as good. Like really not as good. Question: should I just get the freakin 730 fixed? I take it you guys like them.

Thanks,
Brad

Link to the service manual:
http://manuals.harman.com/hk/Service Manual/HK730 sm.pdf

Fix the 730. You will not regret it.

Regards,
Joe

VintageNut said:
Fine receiver, but I think I might like it a bit better with the FM dial extended a bit, and the tuning knob moved to the right, like this
You have essentially described the 630. Less bells and whistles, but cleaner design IMHO.

Regards,
Joe

Back
Top Bottom