Harman Kardon Citation IIIX tuner

MikeRam

Well, I found a Harman Kardon Citation IIIX for a pretty good deal on Craigslist. Brought it home and it cleaned up real nice with minimal effort. It actually sounds real good even though it is totally stock. I noticed that the stereo beacon only goes red when it gets a very strong FM signal (like only two stations on the whole dial). I’d like to align it to see if the stereo will come in a lot better. The service manual gives detailed instructions but it talks about using an alignment tool supplied in the kit. That tool is long gone and I have no idea where to find one or even what it looks like.

So my question is, has anyone seen what this tool looks like? Is it something I can make myself? Does anyone have one they are willing to sell or at least lone me? A picture would also help.

Thanks ahead for any help.

Mike

Attachments

• VE0_6857.jpg
    VE0_6857.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 89
  • VE0_6858.jpg
    VE0_6858.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 65
  • VE0_6873.jpg
    VE0_6873.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 73
  • VE0_6874.jpg
    VE0_6874.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 61
Nice score - a stereo tube tuner! The tool may be next to impossible to find, but if you look at the place it is applied to, it may just turn out to be a simple screwdriver slot. You should probably use a plastic screwdriver, and an electronic supply shop can probably supply it.

Plastic screwdrivers may be difficult to find, but you can always cut a knitting needle to the right tip shape and use it.

The tool is most likely a straight plastic Allen wrench, like the link in the prior post. Radio Shack or Frys may have them if there's one by you.

Don't try to use a metal Allen wrench, because the metal slugs in the tuning coils you need to adjust are very brittle and crack very easily.

Thanks for your ideas. I'll take a good look at the slots the tool is supposed to manipulate and figure out if it is an allen wrench type or screwdriver. Had no idea that plastic was the way to go. Thanks again.

Mike

To my eye (and only going by the provided pictures - which are quite drool-worthy!), it looks like mostly slotted adjustment cores, but I think one or two of the multiplex adjustments are hex cores.

Interesting that there are two tuning capacitors! A two-gang unit just for the antenna input, and another two-ganger for RF amplification and local oscillator.

Cheers,

chazix

I'll try and take some close up pictures tonight. Hopefully that will help determine what is needed.

Mike

The tool is most likely a straight plastic Allen wrench, like the link in the prior post. Radio Shack or Frys may have them if there's one by you.

Don't try to use a metal Allen wrench, because the metal slugs in the tuning coils you need to adjust are very brittle and crack very easily.

Metal tools can also cause issues with proper adjustment - it changes the magnetic fields around those tuning coils.

You guys are right. It looks like most of the adjustments are done with a regular sized and small screwdriver. The 1st IF adjustment looks like an allen wrench type though.

Attachments

• VE0_6887.JPG
    VE0_6887.JPG
    185.6 KB · Views: 39
  • VE0_6886.JPG
    VE0_6886.JPG
    200 KB · Views: 40
I know that this thread is a couple of years old, still though this info could help someone else out when searching, looking for info., etc.

An "alignment tool(s)" is just that, a small plastic tool(s) ( NOTE: majority of them are plastic and very few metal). The alignment tool is also as known in the electronics world as a "Tweaker" and the process known as "unit needs Tweaking" (used in the electronics world when making adjustments on electronic equipment).

It is what we used to use when making adjustments, alignments, etc. on electronic equipment.

Anyone of the following is what is needed but still one can walk into just about any electronics store and ask for them.

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/browse/Trim-Alignment-Tools/0000001399

https://www.amazon.com/Waldom-Alignment-Tool-Kit-Anti-Static/dp/B000PDO3G4

https://www.amazon.com/Philmore-Anti-Static-Alignment-Trimmer-63-910/dp/B00K3VS7TM

EDIT: Just a side note here but when performing an alignment, especially on any tuner, one should "never" use a metal tool (screwdriver, rod, etc.) when doing so. Metal will throw off an alignment and make it worse.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom