Harman Kardon Citation Receiver....

jedcaum

So, I'm a long time enthusiast and newish to the actual collecting part of the hobby. Found a receiver in my never-ending chase for the next thing that I had to go see, and having seen, made a play for that surprised normally reserved (and cheap) me.

The Citation Receiver. Pictures do do this baby justice, but the impression in person is even more striking than it's silver, black, glossy glowing, Trans-Am emulating (no kidding - the side panels!), incredible-sounding presence hits hard in every area.

Bringing it home, I've been hearing the full potential of some Boston A100s and T830s for the first time, ever. I can only imagine what they'll do for my Heresies, Timeframes, DLKs, PSBs, and Large Advents that are waiting their turn for a spin.

It's the new and current centerpiece in my library system, and mates beautifully with a Mitsubishi LT-20. Also running tape through an original Advent deck, and CDs courtesy of a Rega Planet.

First impressions are kind of stunning, actually. It easily sounds as good as my high-powered NAD separates, and gives my McIntosh Mc250 a run for it's money - actually, I think it sounds better.

Just wanted to celebrate a little. Would love to hear from anyone else that's had an experience with what I have to say, may live up to the hype that I've read as "the best receiver of all time?"

Specifically, I'm interested to know real specs as they seem somewhat foggy - 85 wpc? 143 wpc (bench test)? Which is it? In head to head comparisons, what have you liked more or less?

Any tips or things to look out for? Cautionary tales? The only thing I know is an issue with the example I snagged was the touch controls - they work, but as I read they are supposed to "remember" the last source selected and mine does not. I think I saw this could be a bad IC chip, and there are possible replacements for that, but interested in anything this august body can contribute.

As you can probably tell, I'm excited. Pics when I can figure it out. Look forward to sharing my excitement and hearing your contributions. Thanks!

Well, I’ll comment. It is exactly as you said.. stunning. Unfortunately I can’t offer more thoughts as I have no experience with this myself, but someone ought to comment on your beautiful score

Thanks! The more I listen to it, the more discovered....

Some folks say the phono stage in the Citation is not stellar. It's revealing, is what I've found.

Good sources sound spectacular, lots of dynamic range and punch, and clarity. Bad sources are immediately shown as bad... albums listenable on my other rigs show all their flaws playing through this one. Had to take some old, worn Clapton off the other night, just too much noise in the signal.... but ALL of it present on the album and faithfully transmitted by my Mitsubishi to the Citation, which is simply amplifying what it's given and transmitting ALL of it.

I may try a selectable phono stage to swap in when I know my records aren't up to the task here. Or, just play them on the other rigs. Or, listen to the flaws on this one.

Right now I'm listening to "Mountain Meadow" by Elliot Brood and it's an album that's recorded well, but with enough energy that I did not hear all it's glory through a very good NAD setup. This one is loads better.

Crisp, clean, punch, and enough warmth to make it all accessible and not clinical. Feel like I'm surrounded by mandolins! ;)

What is you serial number? Mine is #35. The top tuning strip was broken and the tuning knob trim ring was missing. I had to reproduce both. Electrically it's been recapped and a number of ic's have been replaced. Cosmetically it needed to be cleaned up a bit. Soundwise, strong bass, and effortless power.

Attachments

• DSCF4618.JPG
    DSCF4618.JPG
    79.4 KB · Views: 105
  • DSCF4615.JPG
    DSCF4615.JPG
    74.4 KB · Views: 101
  • DSCF4619.JPG
    DSCF4619.JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 93
Nice piece!
I just connect again mine Citation "The receiver". Serial number 235
Sound Superb with JBL 4412.
Best match with the Sonus Faber Minima Vintage.

Pretty good phono Stage.

Always start in Phono 1....but never read instructions regard the memory input

Mariano, from Chile

I think, if Harman Kardon had introduced the Citation receivers in 1967-1968, they'd have sold better as legitimate competitors to the Marantz Model 18, and the McIntosh MAC 1700. Then there might have been more than one Citation receiver. This one in the post is beautiful.

I think, if Harman Kardon had introduced the Citation receivers in 1967-1968, they'd have sold better as legitimate competitors to the Marantz Model 18, and the McIntosh MAC 1700. Then there might have been more than one Citation receiver. This one in the post is beautiful.
The Citation receiver was made in '77/78 I believe. They only made the one model and only 890 0r so.

I found one

Attachments

• 0E1F5BF0-054B-4711-BE53-9BA1478B448B.jpeg
    0E1F5BF0-054B-4711-BE53-9BA1478B448B.jpeg
    82.5 KB · Views: 61
  • AC3F26ED-26C3-49B6-A0C9-03AE7E932417.jpeg
    AC3F26ED-26C3-49B6-A0C9-03AE7E932417.jpeg
    79.2 KB · Views: 58
  • 1BAD68A5-5B7A-40CC-9790-505C7B223CCA.jpeg
    1BAD68A5-5B7A-40CC-9790-505C7B223CCA.jpeg
    23.5 KB · Views: 56
I connect again this superb receiver......can`t found an issue. Why I bought so many equipment last years?
At least still in da house. Absolutely recommended!

With regards to the top dial lens breaking, it happens when the cabinet is removed and the unit is turned on its side. The lens ends up supporting the wait and being plastic breaks. I learned this the hard way.

With regards to the top dial lens breaking, it happens when the cabinet is removed and the unit is turned on its side. The lens ends up supporting the wait and being plastic breaks. I learned this the hard way.
Ouch. That 40+ year old plastic tends to be brittle anyway :(

That's true. And an original replacement will never be found.
I reproduced mine. Get some smoked clear plastic and cut to size. The hard part is milling out the part that the buttons sit in. I got some very small milling bits and a cheap milling table for my drill press. Once you have the old part off the broken window you can epoxy it in place after you mill out the rectangular section. The only difference is that the touch button piece is a bit higher than before because you have to give it space for the epoxy to glue to. I was going to mill out a part on the other side for the HK loge and do the same thing but I didn't want to push my luck. I ended up getting a large metal HK logo from aliexpress and putting it on top. I think it looks better than original. I have some extra, let me know if you want one.

Attachments

• DSCF4619.JPG
    DSCF4619.JPG
    91.1 KB · Views: 53
  • DSCF4618.JPG
    DSCF4618.JPG
    99.1 KB · Views: 49
  • DSCF4620.JPG
    DSCF4620.JPG
    91.2 KB · Views: 52
Back
Top Bottom