Harman-Kardon FA-3000 vs. FA-3000X

Ziradog

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I got this receiver in trade. It was listed as a model FA-3000x, but I noticed today that the dial glass says FA-3000. I can't find any info on the web about a model FA-3000 non-x. There are a couple letters missing in the "Award Series" printed on the glass, so it may be that the x is just worn off. Does anyone know if they made such a beast, and what the differences are?

I wonder if it has to do with the presence of a multiplexer for the FM. That’s how they designated the Citation III.

Does yours have MPX?

I have also seen reference to the HK FA-3 as the blueprint to the FA-3000X but not aware of what if any differences. :dunno:

I had an FA-3000X some years back but the dial glass print on mine was missing a lot of the markings. I enjoyed the 6V6 sound.

Pictures of mine showing the model number, and the whole dial with some missing lettering. And a lot of dust.

Attachments

• IMAG0714.jpg
    IMAG0714.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 26
  • IMAG0716.jpg
    IMAG0716.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 27
My guess is that the 'X' was wiped off, as evidenced by some other missing letters, easy to do, very fragile, and water kills them.

Maybe. The letters near it are all ok. The missing letters/numbers are near the center of the dial.

My guess is that FA3000X's all are FA 3's and vice versa. Of about 7 FA3000X's that I have pics of all but one is FA 3, the last one just the address.

Well I think I can say conclusively that the X fell off. I started cleaning the unit, and there was a ton of dust in the bottom of the dial glass area. I took a big breath & blew, and here is the result:
IMAG0805.jpg

Anyone got a spare dial glass that they want to part with?

Back
Top Bottom