Harman/Kardon FL 8350 CD player

N8Nagel

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Just curious if this happens to be good or not. It's the second CDP I ever owned, bought at a going out of business sale probably 1998ish to replace my first CDP whose model I don't remember which died shortly before after years of faithful service. I remember that it didn't come with the remote which is why it was cheap and had a burned copy of a Soup Dragons CD in it which I promptly removed with extreme prejudice. At some point after eBay became a thing I did track down a remote for it so I have both pieces.

Back then I didn't really understand the difference in gear, I figured digital was digital and didn't understand, nor did I have the gear to tell, the differences between good and acceptable DACs etc.

Anyway it's never been hooked up to a good system and currently resides on my AV setup and is kind of superfluous. I guess my question is is it even worth keeping? A web search reveals a lot of complaining about them not reading discs (I have not had that problem) but not a lot about sound quality. Is this worth the trouble to unrack it and hook it up to a good two channel system, or is it Goodwill fodder? Also anyone know what DAC chip is in this thing?

I should mention that I have recently acquired a Pioneer PD-M910 and an Adcom GCD-700 so I'm primarily trying to figure out what to keep and what to let go to someone who will use it. If you tell me that my other units are better than the HK I won't really be surprised at all, I'm more posting because of the dearth of comments online on the SQ of the HK. Yeah, I apparently find good changers and not single disc players for some reason.

For a period of several years I would load the HK with CDs at night and fall asleep to it playing. Despite the online warnings of premature death it's still truckin'

Back
Top Bottom