Harman Kardon HK3490 receiver

telemike

I am really surprised at how good this modern receiver sounds. Has a real quiet background and instruments have clarity and punch. Transients just pop out. The built in DAC is really good. I am using it for TV and FireStick and CD playback from an HK DVD38 player. My speakers are Klipsch KG 3.2.

I've demo'd a bunch of amps and receivers and this one is special. Really punches above it's weight.

15370591379915468438227939569129.jpg 15370591699197608956309802355663.jpg

I had one of those for years that I bought new on sale. It served me well and was used heavily until I finally sold it. The only issue I ever had was a dirty volume control encoder, but no big deal.

I am really surprised at how good this modern receiver sounds. Has a real quiet background and instruments have clarity and punch. Transients just pop out. The built in DAC is really good...I've demo'd a bunch of amps and receivers and this one is special. Really punches above it's weight.

Agree. I use my HK3490 to power my whole-house audio system from the Speaker 1 terminals (13 zones each with room volume control of stereo in-wall or in-ceiling speakers). Fed by optical from Apple TV which is an AirPlay target for the iTunes music server running on a Mac mini. I have a local set of bench speakers (old Pioneer CS-52T's) on the Speaker 2 terminals that I use to audition ripped CDs before filing the disks away (forever). Never use the HK remote as the unit has a hardware IR remote jack which ties into my Xantech system. The HK operates flawlessly. Only problem is the shitty plastic feet that always crack and eventually snap off (ridiculously bad design), but I replaced them with some proper Denon circular feet with pads, and now the unit looks as good as it plays.

Last edited:
Agree. I use my HK3490 to power my whole-house audio system from the Speaker 1 terminals (13 zones each with room volume control of stereo in-wall or in-ceiling speakers). Fed by optical from Apple TV which is an AirPlay target for the iTunes music server running on a Mac mini. I have a local set of bench speakers (old Pioneer CS-52T's) on the Speaker 2 terminals that I use to audition ripped CDs before filing the disks away (forever). Never use the HK remote as the unit has a hardware IR remote jack which ties into my Xantech system. The HK operates flawlessly. Only problem is the shitty plastic feet that always crack and eventually snap off (ridiculously bad design), but I replaced them with some proper Denon circular feet with pads, and now the unit looks as good as it plays.
I realize that this is an old thread. But I hoped that someone could tell me where to get drop in alternative feet.

Back
Top Bottom