1. Rest in Peace Paul (Kegger) If you would like to help the family in this time of great sorrow and need, you may donate on their GoFundme page: https://www.gofundme.com/mckechnie-medical-and-funeral-fund?
    Dismiss Notice

harman/kardon hk775 amplifier restoration

Discussion in 'DIY' started by z-adamson, May 7, 2017.

1. jheu02

jheu02 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Flat enough for what you're doing. Copper is pretty soft.

2. jheu02

Here's a quick attempt using 12 gauge Romex bent around a screw I had lying about and then pounded with a hammer against a concrete slab. 14 gauge may be evn better since it could be pounded a little flatter. I still think soldered to a trimmed ring terminal will give a better connection to the screw terminal, but not sure how much room you need from the terminal to the bend of the lug for soldering.

IMGP8593.JPG

3. z-adamson

z-adamson Active Member

UPDATE:

Everything just showed up from mouser and I hope to start putting together the amp that is currently taken apart.

I opted to go with the copper strip route first, only because I have the means to cut and drill easily and with precision. And I like the idea of starting with something flat and I want it to all be one piece rather than two pieces joined together. Seems ideal.

The filter caps came out perfect in terms of the size of the cans, but the positioning of the screw terminals is a little off relative to the old filter caps that I am replacing. I hope I can make the new ones work without difficulty. I may have to get creative with the bending of the leads. Speaking of leads, I got a copper electrode made for high school science class experiments. I gave it the scratch test, magnet test and lemon juice test and all indications are that the material is of high purity and I am happy about that.

4. jheu02

Keep us posted and with pics.