Harman Kardon ST-5

986s

There has been talk recently about Harman Kardon linear tables. I've had a few but still have an ST-5. It's been in my garage for about a year and I decided to put it back in rotation. I did nothing but plug it in and it is spot on. The ST-5 has the metal roller wheel and powered upper roller bar like the ST-8. I had an ST-7 and replaced the rubber on the wheel, and still had to adjust it constantly. I believe the difference is the powered upper roller. My ST-5 table has not been adjusted in at least 4 years. As for the metal wheel I have no noise caused by that wheel. The cartridge I use is a shure M97xe with a M95ed stylus. Sounds great.

I have a very good performing ST-7 and an ST-6 that needs a new tire. I plan to do the ST-6 and a friend's St-7 at the same time so I can reference them and hopefully be a bit more efficient.

A BIG FAN of the HK/Rabco's! I've got (2) ST-7's & (1) ST-8. One of my ST-7's is one of the rare ones that went back to HK and had the factory repair/modification (upper belt driven rail, but no metal roller). All of mine have had the LED lamp and resistor conversion, new belts and lots of TLC applied, hold steady speeds and sound exceptional. I have had lots of fun getting mine back to fully trust worthy performance and learned alot doing my own work. As a side note I have (9) arm wands and a selection of vintage/classic cartridges and a big collection of stylus for them.

I have a very good performing ST-7 and an ST-6 that needs a new tire. I plan to do the ST-6 and a friend's St-7 at the same time so I can reference them and hopefully be a bit more efficient.

FWIW - there is more than one way to skin the cat with this. I recall reading plenty of "guides" on doing the tire replacement before i did my own. Many of which required a fair bit of disassembly. I recall not having to do this on my ST-6 or 7. Made it a much simpler affair. Sold the 6 and bought an 8 so I now have a ST-4, a plethora of ST-7's including a new never used in the original box only opened to get the stylus gauge out unit and a ST-8. Guess that makes me a bit of a fan boy... ;)

Back
Top Bottom