Harman Kardon Tube PreAmp

MCD275

Hi everybody,

Maybe you can help me. Does anybody knows this Harman Kardon PreAmp? I purchased it some years ago in Berlin/Germany but Harman Germany cannot tell me anything regarding this amp.

K800_20170105_134037.JPG

Harman Kardon Mark IV Tube PreAmp Serial No. 001
Harman Kardon Mark IV Power Supply Serial No. 002
Ac 240 V / 480 VA

K800_20170105_134244.JPG

Any ideas?

Never saw one like it. Mark IV brings up the much older preamp. I really like the layout and construction, well shielded. Whats in the bottom unit, a power amp?
I wonder if this never really went into production or if it was a relabeled product. Tell us more how you acquired it.
It's definitely a top notch product, how does it sound?
Looking closely I wonder if the volume control was replaced, tie wraps look out of place in there.

BillWojo

It is not the VAS reproduction. At 240 volts, it is European based, I suspect.

Yep, it was a German skunkworks project from Harlan. Worth getting.

@BillWojo

Bottom Unit is the Power Supply.
Got it via a HiFi shop in Berlin.
Cannot remember the Setup in detail anymore but Sound was ok. Have not tried it yet with my current gear.
Volume Control was like this already at the time I bought it.

@sheltie dave

By 240 V I had the same idea but Germany at this time had 220 V. Maybe English?
What means "it was a German skunkworks project from Harlan"? Please explain, if possible. :)

Wow, there is a power supply in the bottom unit? I thought the transformer looked small but it sure has a lot of big caps. Can you show a picture of the backs of both units and a picture of the inside of the power supply?
It sure looks interesting, what kind of tubes are in there?

BillWojo

Thank you to all of you for the great Response. Attache please find more photos of this PreAmp.

@BillWojo

K800_20170105_133658.JPG

K800_20170105_133958.JPG

No Picture from inside of the Power Supply for the Moment. Sorry but maybe later.

K800_20170105_134257.JPG

JAN Philips 12AX7WA

Know nothing about it, but it certainly looks well made. Any time you have a serial number "001" and "002" its an interesting piece. Makes me wonder if there was ever an "003" or beyond. You may have the only one.

Anxiously awaiting more from Sheltie Dave on this.

'Skunkworks' in this context = (secret) research facility.

Was 'Harlan' a typo and you really meant 'Harman'?

So, a prototype from a Harman shop in Germany?

It looks totally cool and I want one.

@MCD275

I suppose it is a sort of prototype, not from Asia, or England, or somewhere else, but from Germany - in case the mains plug is the original one. The plug seems to be a German "Schutzkontaktstecker". What the hell is that in English? :idea: ;)

Most likely a unikate made in Germany.

Last edited:
Schutzkontaktstecker = safety plug :D
Germany never had (IMHO) 240 V. We changed in 1987 from 220 V to 230 V. Asian countries do not use 240 V as far as I know. Mostly the UK used it.
The main plug is not an originally one. It was fitted to the power cable to fit into German sockets.

Therefore, I do not believe the German origin. But who knows? Let see what comes up.

Any comment will be welcome :)

Back
Top Bottom