Harman Kardon Turntable owners/appreciation group.

WOW!!

Looks great!!

Did you do the work, yourself?

QUOTE=jnoyes;8037428]I few pics of my T40. Done in Rosewood veneer, polished platter, Grado w/8MZ. I have also owned a T60 and T65.

T40005.jpg

T40006.jpg

T40007.jpg

T40008.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Thanks guys

Yes, I do all my own work. I enjoy restoring vintage turntables the HKs are some of my favorites. The T60 and T65 I had where also done in rosewood. The T65 was a gift to a dear friend and the T60 I sold on Ebay a while back. I just recently got this T40 on Ebay for about $125 shipped. I think that's a pretty good deal for a very good turntable!

Some other mods to the T40 include adding about 5 lbs of MDF to the plinth, filling in dead spaces and strengthening it. The platter is from a T60 (about a pound heavier than the stock platter) and I have added GT mat (similar to Dynamat) to the inside for damping. Also added GT mat to the bottom plate. The table is about 6 lbs heavier than stock. I have plans for some arm mods to eliminate the tuning fork problem as described by Pio1980. I plan to connect the open end with some plastic to see if that helps. Perhaps an outboard power supply in the future.

I had a AT-440 on this that I liked very much. I just got the Grado 8MZ stylus and it only has about two hours on it, so it's not yet broken in.

I really like these vintage Harman Kardons, both the look and the performance.

The T40 is not as good as my JVC QL-Y66F, but it's pretty good!

Jon

T60 here sporting a Shure m91ed with all of the Mods Pio1980 suggested. I really enjoy this table. Has anyone else tried the "raised record" mod. Pio experimented with? He abandoned it but I find it adds a little more space between instruments.

Dave

I have a T60 that I bought new in 1984 to replace my 1969 AR XA (one of these days I'll restore the AR). It has a Shure V15 Type V cart.
I noticed the TT mat has become rather hard. Any recommendations for a replacement?
Thanks.

I always enjoy watching my ST-7 operate. What an interesting, good design. It took a lot of work to get it functioning properly, but it works great now. I also have an ST-5 up for an overhaul.

I have a T60 that I bought new in 1984 to replace my 1969 AR XA (one of these days I'll restore the AR). It has a Shure V15 Type V cart.
I noticed the TT mat has become rather hard. Any recommendations for a replacement?
Thanks.

The best other mat I've tried on my T60 was a relatively unusual Sony planetary style mat. Otherwise, applying something like Dynamat damping to the underside of the platter and strips to the sub-chassis and belly pan, along with the felt damped remounting of the chassis counterweight transforms this TT into a much better SQ class.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

just bought a T20 w a grado "RS-II" (ancient - not a new Reference). i'm curious as to whart year the H-K was made and what MSRP was. can't find that info anywhere

^bump

My T55C died recently. When I move the tonearm towards the platter, it actuates the start switch. However, the motor only spins very briefly and shuts down. If the belt is in place, you can notice the platter moving slightly before stopping.

I'm planning to recap the entire 'table, but haven't got around to it yet. Anyone had similar problems?

I'm in, I just love my T35c and so does the Shure V15 IV that's attached!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I just recently purchased a fully serviced T60. I'm currently using a AT120E cartridge on it, but want to venture into something new. I'm thinking a Grado of some kind, or a Denon DL110. What's everyone's opinions on these carts on the arm? I have to take it back this weekend, because the auto lift is not working and the shop said they'll tweak it for me. My last question is, does the counterweight and the dial move independently? I have it tracking at 1.5g, but it shows .5 and I can't turn the dial without turning the entire counterweight. Am I missing something?

Last edited:
I ran a ST-8 for over 25 years, Great table for a high compliance cartridge. Ran a Sonus Gold blue on mine.
Regards,
Jim

I just got my HK T60 back from the shop, after some speed problems, and they cracked the mat. They gave me a rubber technics mat to use, will this affect anything? I feel like everything on the table was made to work well with each other, so introducing a different mat seems weird.

Edit: Also doe anyone know if any straight head shell with work on these tables? I've read the supplied one is a few degrees off normal, so not sure if I buy a second if it's possible to get a cartridge properly aligned.

Last edited:
HK720 in the shop for a tune up and putting a Tonar/Nag 555 on it! Cant wait to pick it up. The 720 looks nice too!

HK720 --- seeking the fabled Harman-Kardon hk720 tracking alignment gauge card (that ONLY came in the original packaging).

If anyone has this in their possession, and can provide a clean and exact scale scan, I would be deeply appreciative. The only reference I can find over on Vinyl Engine is stated as not to scale, and printing it out proves that the "flap mark" is about 2cm past the headshell length!

https://www.vinylengine.com/library/harman-kardon/tracking-angle-gauge.shtml

Harman/Kardon products are very underrated. My first H/K was a receiver I purchased around the summer of 1976. The more information I can read about Sidney Harman tells me he was ahead of his time and a genius.

I have never owned a H/K turntable to which I now regret. However, I am glad to see support for the H/K Turntable Owners Appreciation Thread. I hope this group continues to grow. Harman/Kardon deserves an Owners Appreciation thread.

Back
Top Bottom