Has AK been hacked???? [iPad and iPhone issues]

I have been looking for an app you can us to set an alert that will notify you if your usage precentages go above a level you set.

Edit: looking at etherape

For Unix only?

I have been looking for an app you can us to set an alert that will notify you if your usage precentages go above a level you set.

Edit: looking at etherape

For Unix only?
works fine on ubuntu
edit ... just looked and appears to be linux only .. must be something for other systems though .

Had this issue on my iPad running safari for the past few days. I installed a pop up blocker from the App Store, switched it on and it killed the fake Amazon ad immediately. Works like a charm, been clear ever since. Don't forget that once you install a pop up blocker you've got to go into settings and switch it on, they load up switched off by default.

I thought it was gone but it reared it's ugly head today when reading this thread this morning, last incident was Thursday. Issue is ONLY when on AK. I have AdBlocker on my MBP but not on the X. I think I will add that plugin tomorrow.

Isn't this old malware? I hope it is innocuous since I just dismiss the pop up and continue to the AK threads I am addicted to. Using Google browser.

Which malicious ad did you see specifically? Also, were you on your iPhone X while it happened using Safari?

I see, I can force it to appear by refreshing.

View attachment 1141385

When was the last time you were able to re-create this? If you can do it consistently, can you send me a PM so we can connect and I can get you to send me some debug data?

I have this problem off and on. Now it's on again. I don't understand why AK can't do anything about it. You shouldn't rely on your customer to jump through hoops when you have a problem. I am on other Xenforo boards with ads and never have any issue. Only on AK.

I'm here to help. Ads help a site stay in business, but there's problems. My company is here to solve those problems, so we're going to get those ironed out for you as fast as we can! The admins at AK care about you guys, which is a big reason we're here to clean this situation up!

I deleted all Safari data from my phone and it's worse than ever - I just plain can't visit AK from my phone now.

You might want to try again. We've put some massively complex protections in place, and If anything else happens you can report it and we'll get it solved!

The ads are likely coming in via Ad Sense

Nice try but its the fox guarding the hen house.

Sigh,

Frannie

As of the 19th of March, AdSense is no longer running on the site. I'm actually quite surprised that AdSense let through these re-directs, though the latest ones have been the most sophisticated attack the ad industry has ever seen.

I can assure you though that we are now going to be the actual guard of the hen house. We are here to fix this, and take responsibility for what is going on.

Had this issue on my iPad running safari for the past few days. I installed a pop up blocker from the App Store, switched it on and it killed the fake Amazon ad immediately. Works like a charm, been clear ever since. Don't forget that once you install a pop up blocker you've got to go into settings and switch it on, they load up switched off by default.

Do you happen to know what date it was that this happened? Also, what device/browser/OS combo were you using?

Advally,
All my posts were discussing the Amazon Congratulations pop-up. Issue was happening with Google browser, iPhone X and current ios.

On March 19th, I (right after I posted that screen shot) I switched to Safari and installed the AdGuard plug-in on my iPhone X. I have not seen the Amazon ad since. When I originally posted I would see the faux Amazon ad every 5 refreshes or so, based on a small sample.

I have checked my Google browser that does not have ad blocking and I have not seen the pop up there for over a week. I just check that once in a while however. So I think for me, the issue may be resolved on both browsers, one with ad blocking and one without.

Thanks for the response.

Last edited:
Do you happen to know what date it was that this happened? Also, what device/browser/OS combo were you using?

Started March 12th, was using a 3rd generation iPad running Safari with the latest updated OS. Loaded up and switched on the Ad Block app and it stopped it instantly, never to return again. It never happened on my iPhone 5, older iPad 2 or home desktop Windows 8 running Firefox, only on the newer iPad.

Thanks - hope this helps and good luck!

I'm here to help. Ads help a site stay in business, but there's problems. My company is here to solve those problems, so we're going to get those ironed out for you as fast as we can! The admins at AK care about you guys, which is a big reason we're here to clean this situation up!

You might want to try again. We've put some massively complex protections in place, and If anything else happens you can report it and we'll get it solved!

My problems were on an iPhone 7 plus running the latest IOS versions. I was seeing the same Amazon Congratulations pop up. I installed Adblock as a pop-up blocker only and haven't had any more issues.

Advally,
All my posts were discussing the Amazon Congratulations pop-up. Issue was happening with Google browser, iPhone X and current ios.

On March 19th, I (right after I posted that screen shot) I switched to Safari and installed the AdGuard plug-in on my iPhone X. I have not seen the Amazon ad since. When I originally posted I would see the faux Amazon ad every 5 refreshes or so, based on a small sample.

I have checked my Google browser that does not have ad blocking and I have not seen the pop up there for over a week. I just check that once in a while however. So I think for me, the issue may be resolved on both browsers, one with ad blocking and one without.

Thanks for the response.

Good to know that it was happening on Chrome too. For whatever reason, Chrome tends to be a little less susceptible to these things but it definitely can crop up there. I would imagine that you don't see this one again, but please use the thread I posted up to report any new instances you see if they happen!

Started March 12th, was using a 3rd generation iPad running Safari with the latest updated OS. Loaded up and switched on the Ad Block app and it stopped it instantly, never to return again. It never happened on my iPhone 5, older iPad 2 or home desktop Windows 8 running Firefox, only on the newer iPad.

Thanks - hope this helps and good luck!

Thanks! I think we've got quite a pattern with the Safari / iOS devices. I would bet that it was basically just luck that the older iPad 2 didn't see it, and it could have when running chrome. Please do report anything else you see though so we can get to the bottom of it quickly!

My problems were on an iPhone 7 plus running the latest IOS versions. I was seeing the same Amazon Congratulations pop up. I installed Adblock as a pop-up blocker only and haven't had any more issues.

Good to know. It should be solved across the board now, but please keep your eye out in the future and report as soon as you see anything!

I just had it happen last week. It's annoying and if you only access AK through an Apple device I can see where it would cause major issues.

It was happening for me a lot about a week ago. Has improved a lot lately. I think it has only happened once in the past 3-4 days.

People still use Safari? I haven't used the POS in years, only when forced by links from email and news. Chrome kicks Safari to the curb.

Back
Top Bottom