Has any one retrofitted a vintage stereo console?

Guest101

Lately I've been thinking of buying a vintage stereo console that has Danish/Scandinavian styling and retrofitting it with more desirable vintage turntables and electronics. I already have a '90 Mac a preamp and would like to get a Lenco, Dual, etc. TT, plus a Mac tuner and amp. I am thinking of JBL drivers in the speaker section of the console. I think it would be a fun project.:scratch2:

Has anyone done something like this and can you post photos of your projects?:thmbsp:

I sort of have. I have a Bozak Utiliy cabinent that housed a Sherwood S3000 ans S5000 plus a Miracord 10. Pulled them and have a Sherwood S3300 and S9500c that are the same dimenions and my Thorens TD160 will drop in the well that the Miracord was in. Have not put them in but would take less than hour to do, 1 day.

It would be a fun project. My dad was going to throw away his old Sears console and I took it. I haven't done it yet but that was what I had in mind. Although, I would plan on not using the original speaker positions. Separate speakers with there own cabinets would be best. At least with the old Sears. It would be best as a fancy rack. The cabinets in good shape and has that nostalgia going for it. I remember many a day listening to records on it in the late sixties and early seventies. He wanted to get rid of it in the early eighties after I gave him a separate system. I think he was fascinated with the bouncing needles like I was. Later as he lost his hearing, he asked for an equalizer to boost the frequencies he couldn't hear so well. I brought him one to my mother's sorrow. Heh Heh.

Regards,

Ron.

I did a mono console retrofit. It was on an art-deco era cabinet (c. '32) with a hand crank TT in it, and an old dead tube amp in it. I wanted to install a more versatile TT. i also had a harman-kardon mono tube amp from the mid-50's (c. 1957).
I found the most crucial thing was isolating the TT from the cabinet and its onboard speaker, as it was prone to acoustical feedback through the TT. So, I built a stacked plywood plinth for it, and "suspended" the plinth on rubber superballs.
I suspected the need for this isolation prior to beginning the project, and tested the concepts with a rigidly mounted TT (no springs or other suspension), and a suspended TT. I closed the top lid for the console and placed the two TT's on top of the closed lid (one at a time). The rigid table fed-back at a fairly low level of playback. The suspended table could be turned up to full volume without feeding back. So, I started designing a DIY suspension plinth system to be installed within the cabinet.
Ultimately, the isolation system worked and the console plays wonderfully.
You can find the build and pictures in the link in my sig-line; find the "Audrey" build there; or, go here and pull the page down to post #25 where the feedback testing phase is portrayed, and the fitting begins.

I've got one in the works, if I can ever get to it. An old Grundig. Current plans include an AR-XB on one side, an older Mac laptop on the other side (where the RTR was) and a PreSonus monitor station mounted in the center where the old tuner/preamp was. I have several amps to choose from, and they'll fit, but speakers haven't been worked out. The original config was two bass drivers in the center section, a mid on each end and a side-firing tweeter. That's not going to work for me, but I may tuck two little bookshelf monitors in the center section for "self-contained" operation, and also run another, better remote pair. I also have a pair of EV Reginas which match well, I could mount them on the ends or on the wall above. It's all measured out and started, I just have to finish it...... apologies for the cell phone picture!
console.jpg

Almost did once. I had neighbors whose console wasn't working. I brought over a portable cd player old RS receiver, speakers and speaker wire. I tried playing the tuner in the console. The reception was fine, but only a fuzzy, hardly audiable sound came out. I tried connecting my receiver to the speakers via my own wires with the cdp hooked up. SOUND! DARN GOOD SOUND! I tried the wires in the unit. Still good, just not as good. I also tried wiring the amp in the console to my speakers. Fuzz. The console amp was fried. I offered to mount the receiver in the console, but they weren't interested. Why have me look at it, right? If it had worked, they were going to give it to someone. Maybe "someone" would enjoy a retro-fit? Nope! Okay then.:no:

Last edited:
I'm in the process of doing this now. I got a 1961 Magnavox Stereophonic, that I installed an 1/8" jack and switch for the signal for convenience media. I got the original TT working, as well as the changer and it works well, but unfortunately the sound is rather thin and lacking. Also, it's an idler wheel drive inside of a film can platter and makes quite alot of noise that comes through. In it's current trim, the power for the amp goes through the TT, so it spins when I have other input. Will need to set up a switching scenario I imagine.

Been trying to figure out if a newer moving magnet/coil setup would fit down in there. Looking at older Duals, but I don't know outside dimensions of those units without a plinth, though I haven't looked very hard to be honest. I know I'd need to mount a pre-amp in there.

I'd post a pic, but I'm still a newbie lurker, don't think it'll let me. I'm in CLT as well OP. Good luck.

Looky there, I guess I passed my trial period.
61565162.jpg

You can see the TT spinning in this one as I'm playing the iPod. I'd like to fix a charge location and a shelf in there somewhere, but the TT I think I'm going to tackle first.

57de344b.jpg

Last edited:
Won't be a good option. Amplifier and preamplifier will run too hot and shorten their life. JBL drivers and a turntable that close will be acoustic feedback city unless the speaker systems have little low bass output. If you want something which looks like a console, get Barzilay or Bozak cabinets which address enough of these concerns.

The problem for many will be finding space to put a console these days. I have a 1200 sq ft house where the living room is quite cozy (read: small).

I was given a huge Barzilay console (10' long with speaker cabs) with all-Mac/JBL gear in it some years ago and tried like hell to keep the thing intact. It just wouldn't work to have it place in the living room. I stripped out the gear, which I still have, but could not _give away_ the console and ended up taking it to the dump!

Now, if I had had a 2700 sq ft house with large living room, things would have been different. Many of us don't live in houses where they'll work.

Cheers,

David

I sort of have. I have a Bozak Utiliy cabinent that housed a Sherwood S3000 ans S5000 plus a Miracord 10. Pulled them and have a Sherwood S3300 and S9500c that are the same dimenions and my Thorens TD160 will drop in the well that the Miracord was in. Have not put them in but would take less than hour to do, 1 day.

That thing must look so-cool. The TD160 is a monster of a table, and those Sherwood units make me jealous. I wish I had room for one of those mid-size consoles that don't have the attached enclosures. I want flexible placement options.

Leak made some great consoles (equipped with Goodmans or Wharfedale drivers). So did Grundig. RCA made some of the best as well. I almost bought one of those early '60's tube Magnavoxes a while back like the one pictured in this thread, but it would have been too-big for me.

I had one we wanted to re-purpose as a TV stand and add new electronics to it, but between the doors and drawers being in the wrong locations and sizes, and a great deal of deep scratches in the finish, we opted out.

We loved the look, but just couldn't make it work w/o a ton of labor/design change.

I'm in the process of doing this now. I got a 1961 Magnavox Stereophonic, that I installed an 1/8" jack and switch for the signal for convenience media. I got the original TT working, as well as the changer and it works well, but unfortunately the sound is rather thin and lacking. Also, it's an idler wheel drive inside of a film can platter and makes quite alot of noise that comes through. In it's current trim, the power for the amp goes through the TT, so it spins when I have other input. Will need to set up a switching scenario I imagine.

Been trying to figure out if a newer moving magnet/coil setup would fit down in there. Looking at older Duals, but I don't know outside dimensions of those units without a plinth, though I haven't looked very hard to be honest. I know I'd need to mount a pre-amp in there.

I'd post a pic, but I'm still a newbie lurker, don't think it'll let me. I'm in CLT as well OP. Good luck.

Looky there, I guess I passed my trial period.
61565162.jpg

You can see the TT spinning in this one as I'm playing the iPod. I'd like to fix a charge location and a shelf in there somewhere, but the TT I think I'm going to tackle first.

57de344b.jpg

Dual 1019 will fit it is a smaller dual. good unit also. Art DJ pr similar pre amp for a mm cartridge would work also maybe a stanton 500 or 500e cart. Edit : looks like DC already posted a good link

Last edited:
I've got one in the works, if I can ever get to it. An old Grundig. Current plans include an AR-XB on one side, an older Mac laptop on the other side (where the RTR was) and a PreSonus monitor station mounted in the center where the old tuner/preamp was. I have several amps to choose from, and they'll fit, but speakers haven't been worked out. The original config was two bass drivers in the center section, a mid on each end and a side-firing tweeter. That's not going to work for me, but I may tuck two little bookshelf monitors in the center section for "self-contained" operation, and also run another, better remote pair. I also have a pair of EV Reginas which match well, I could mount them on the ends or on the wall above. It's all measured out and started, I just have to finish it...... apologies for the cell phone picture!
console.jpg

Very cool - keep us informed as it grows!

I had thought of doing this in the past, but as my receiver is a Rotel rx-1603 it doesn't really fit into anything audio related, so I purchased an old sideboard and it is a great alternative to what you are looking for, I can store most of my audio related stuff in it and when it is closed up it is a real nice piece of furniture with nothing showing on the outside,keeps the peace.

Back
Top Bottom