Has anybody come up with a good match paint for dynaco transformers (gray, think MKIII)?

Discussion in 'Tube Audio' started by nj pheonix, Jan 10, 2018.

1. nj pheonix

nj pheonix AK Subscriber Subscriber

Title says it all.
    Suggestions?

Please register to disable this ad.

2. arts

arts Super Member

If you have an end bell that is still in good shape,bring it to an automotive paint supplier.They will scan it and mix you up a rattle-can.Excellent quality paint,and really tough.This is not your generic spray paint.I have used this method successfully many times,and for many different applications:)

nj pheonix and stish like this.
  3. GordonW

GordonW Speakerfixer Subscriber

Though not for a tube amp transformer- this is what I did when I was making custom speaker pods for my car. I took an interior piece to the paint store, and they mixed up paint that matched it. I painted the fiberglass pods with that, and even close to 20 years later (yes, I have kept the same kind of car that long), it's still in good shape. Very durable paint, even with exposure to hot sun on top of the dashboard of a car...

Regards,
    Gordon.

drtool likes this.
  4. gadget73

gadget73 junk junkie Subscriber

+1 on both ideas above. Custom-mixed rattle cans of high quality paint will get it done. A friend of mine painted a fender for his car that way and you really can't tell his rattle job vs the rest of the car that had been painted about a year earlier. He had some of the same paint used on the car put in the can.

nj pheonix and stish like this.
  5. whoaru99

whoaru99 Epic Member

You could try looking at the RAL color code system to see if something matches.

https://www.ralcolorchart.com

Edcor makes it a little easier because they actually list their blue as RAL 5010. I ordered a rattle can from some outfit off Amazon (not Edcor) to paint a couple Hammond chokes to match the Edcor OPTs. The color match is very good.

6. soundmotor

soundmotor super modified Subscriber

I used automotive gray primer, final coat of satin lacquer, rubbed down with piece of paper bag. It was not exact but close enough and when painting both, who'd care?

7. FB night

FB night New Member

Simple and cheap, this works for me, Gloss Dark Grey, can be had at Walmart. I like gloss, but original coating seemed somewhere between flat and satin. 101_4468.JPG

Hipocrates likes this.
  8. nj pheonix

nj pheonix AK Subscriber Subscriber

Funny I just looked in on this thread. I forgot to watch it:dunno:.
    I thought nobody had any ideas.
    I should have known better:whip:.

9. djnagle

djnagle Lunatic Member

I like house of kolor.

20160628_213529.jpg

drtool likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.