Has anyone.....a BIC T-3?

nh36000

Too many notes!!!
All;

I have a T-3 here but no access to any of their cal. tapes.

What I do have is a cal. tape with quite a number of different freqs., at 0VU. Plus, a one minute signal of 1K. at -3VU and a one minute, 1K. signal, at -10VU. I have no idea what is on the test tapes, recommended on the SM in HiFi Engine.

Has someone here gone through calibrating one of these that could tutor me? I have the Pb. amp sounding good, and that was pretty easy. I would like to start setting record functions but the SM seems difficult to understand, in places.

And I'll have to say, a head bump at 40 Hz. puts the volt meter up at 2.5+ volts, if everything else is output at 1 volt. Low frequencies are in the stratosphere. Maybe a 10 or 12 band equalizer would sort that out.

I would like to start a thread about this as I think I am going to need some advise.

Anyone?

Lu.

Buy the MRL tapes or you'll never get it right. Get the playback response tape and the azimuth tape. That's all you need.

The B∙I∙C test tapes may have had some high speed signals for adjustments of 3-3/4 ips speed. Other than that the doctor is right about getting those tapes from MRL.

Another thing to check before ordering tapes: these decks had a bad lot of LM1011N Dolby ICs. With the Dolby on, and MPX filter off, run a 1Khz test tone at 0dB into the deck and set the monitor switch to Source. Set the level for 0dB and either monitor the output with a scope or meter that is flat to 100KHz or just watch the meters on the deck. Run the generator up to 20KHz and verify that the output does not roll off. If it rolls off at 15KHz or so, the Dolby IC is bad. They are no longer available.

Doc;

Internet service was off most of yesterday and I can write now, then.

I'll give your advise, in post #4, a try, today. I'm getting about -15 dB out of the 16K. signal on the test tape I have. HiFi Engines SM, specs the high frequency range, up to 14K.. But, that's not the source, it's pB..

BTW; Looking at your avatar, I'll say that I entered the night club circuit, playing a 'Rickitybacker' 1967 340. Their archives state that 250 340s were built in '67. There are five known JetGlos, black, PhilX, at Fretted America, plays a blond, natural wood clear coat, on one of his vids. No one knows exactly how many of those were made. The rest of the production was FireGlo. And I had a red one. 340s were hard tails, 'R' tail piece, and 345s were soft, and had vibrato bars.

I graduated to a 1970, Cherry Sunburst, Les Paul Custom and played a 1973 Recording model, to my last days in clubs. 'Just thought I'd write.

All very nice guitars, indeed.

Lu.

Hey, another ex-Rickenbacker player! Cool! I sold mine because a wasn't playing electric in my new band. It was a nice guitar, though. Then I got a good deal on a Carvin Bolt. I play that one when we play with our substitute lead guitarist, 'cause he plays too loud.

Doc;

'Been a bit busy.

I ran through that test you suggested a couple days ago. I'll write in now.

I split the mono output from the signal generator and supplied each channel 'in' with what ever level it was pushing. I then bumped the input level, the big knob in front of the deck, up to read 0VU.. Then set the SG dial to X1000. MPX off, Dolby and source on.

Starting at 10K., turned the frequency up to 20K., I got a drop of maybe 2.5 dB. then. The drop in levels looked linear, to me, per frequency, towards infinity, as frequency went up, you know.

I think this one has a good IC in it then.

Yes or no?

Lu.

I think it is fine. Double check by running the generator directly into the meter and do the same test, see if you get the same drop.

Back
Top Bottom